is this the armor i am looking for?

revboy

Bonjour from Montreal!

I've been in contact with a few of the vetted manufacturers from this site and while I'm leaning towards going with rt-mod (buying local - as in Canadian) I still find myself scouring ebay for a chance at getting a complete kit sold by soon-to-be-ex members of the 501st or those upgrading their gear.

I came across this listing: 

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251647191863&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:CA:1123

Using the guide listed on http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_hero, but I am still a novice at looking for details for level 1 approval.

I've sent the seller a message to find out where he got the armour and he is usually quick to respond but I thought I'd give the pros a crack it. Can anyone give me some insight? 

Merci!

Danny

Hi Danny,

Short answer, NO! :)  That is not the armor you're looking for.   That is the old FX kit that is no longer made.  You can see the back and butt parts are one whole piece, and if you compare the helmet to others (ATA, TE, TM, RT, etc) you'll see that it's large and inaccurate.  RT-Mod would be a better step up over this ebay listing, if you're the size for RT.

Also, in it's heyday that kit cost roughly $430 USD, not the 1000+ that listing is asking for :blink:

Bottom line is that ebay is good for some things....armor is not one. There are two sellers that are on here (MTK and CAP) that sell on Ebay to make a few extra dollars. Due to our experience here, it allows us to know the difference. Other Ebay sellers will say anything true or false to sell their items. You can be assured that whatever armor you buy on here will be supported, will be accepted as accurate, and you will gave the support of the seller and the guidance of most every member on here. No one wants to see you regret an investment like this. This is an story we hear all too often from Ebay purchases.

As for armor type, RT Mod might be a little big for your frame. AP might be a little small. RS, TM, MTK, CAP, ATA, are good for your frame

• 1 month later...

The armor from that ebay listing looks ok, but some of the things he said made me laugh...

Also comes with our patented SNAP SYSTEM.

Unique O2 mounting system to get on and off easy with NO chance of it falling off. (#1 problem of troopers).

We're experts in these costumes

Shipped from the USA, NOT overseas

These suits are super hard to get and very rare but the preferred suit of the 501st.

How do you patent a snap system? I am pretty sure it is the basic snap system.

The O2 system (Thermal detonator) doesn't fall off if it used the original mounting system. It gets stolen.

Anyone who goes out of their way to tell you they are an expert, isn't an expert.

Shipped from the USA, but they most likely get them formed/made outside of the USA

Stormtrooper suits aren't hard to get and this is not the preferred suit of the 501st.

I know people can say anything they want and there is basically no one to stop them... Regardless to how nice the armor seems, their kit is too expensive, even with all of the accessories, and all his BS trash talking.

Bottom line is that ebay is good for some things....armor is not one. There are two sellers that are on here (MTK and CAP) that sell on Ebay to make a few extra dollars. Due to our experience here, it allows us to know the difference. Other Ebay sellers will say anything true or false to sell their items. You can be assured that whatever armor you buy on here will be supported, will be accepted as accurate, and you will gave the support of the seller and the guidance of most every member on here. No one wants to see you regret an investment like this. This is an story we hear all too often from Ebay purchases.

As for armor type, RT Mod might be a little big for your frame. AP might be a little small. RS, TM, MTK, CAP, ATA, are good for your frame

You really should have read Steve's post above?

Edited by Sith Lord

• 3 weeks later...

I am a expert!!!!! At not being a expert!!!!

And wow its funny on the kind of money people ask for stuff that just is not worth it..for that kind of money get a rs props or a tm...both great guys to deal with and more importantly...they are on here to talk to just incase you have any problems

I don;t really think RT-Mod is the best kit for your size.. if you really wanted to keep it local, I think you could make AP work for you. I am 5'10.5" and almost 180 and I made it work with a little bit of shimming on my sides. Depending on where your weight is carried you may or may not need to do the same. That said, as it has been said above, ATA or MTK should work for your size. 

Finally, if you don;t mind spending a little more to go Top Shelf, then RS Props and TM is where you should go.

Good luck with your choice.