ZeroSkillz AM Build

zeroskillz

I was worried to trim the kidney at the top, so i trimmed the bottom because the belt will cover it anyways. I am highly considering splitting my cod too though. And taking off about an inch. Its scary just thinking about it lol

looks big on you, like mine did, im still surprised the commander fit you so well. heres how much i trimmed off it and my shadow when i built them to fit [our] frame

9779298512_bebaa9ffc5.jpg

Derek, those look like great lines for trimming the AM back and chest plates.  Do you know if cutting them in this manner brings them up to Centurion certifications?

looks big on you, like mine did, im still surprised the commander fit you so well. heres how much i trimmed off it and my shadow when i built them to fit [our] frame

The chest does look huge on me for sure. I was hoping to avoid cutting it down, but I don't think I can. Yeah Derek, the commander fits like a glove--the, how shall I say, expansion joint on the ab/kidney connection was handy though ;) I think I'm going to do the AM kit the same way. The size difference in parts is pretty significant, as is the shape in some cases (between the AM kit and the commander).

I'm not as concerned with the ab/kidney yet, since the tops get covered by the chest and back, but we'll see. When you cut the cod off, you left the top straight and the bottom of the ab curved?

Your about my size aren't you Ted?

Those trim lines do look pretty spot on. I would probably assemble the armor with snaps and snap plates first, or maybe even velcro(temporarily), then see where you need to trim further. Basically, get all of your armor on your body first, then go from there. Its a lot easier than trying to mentally visualize things in relation to each other

Edited by fuumantroop

Okay so I finally stopped worrying about it and just cut 3/4 of an inch off the bottom of the chest and did a return edge. I'm not thrilled with the return edge, but it's not bad.

Here's what it looks like now:

front2.jpgside2.jpg

I think the length does look better. I also primed the ab buttons...

primer.jpg

And does anyone know what these parts are for:

what.jpg

Now it's time for some Call of Duty with my boy :)

max im not sure, the crl only banned fx and am unmodified, it wasn't made clear if cutting it to screen accurate size would be acceptable.

zero i did the shadow and commander cods differently, but i prefer the way i did the commander. on the shadow i moved the cod up and hinged it to the ab for bathroom breaks, whereas the commander held up better when bolted directly to the belt. when cutting both from the ab however i used the curved lines. the shadow just had the straight cut near the nuthugger for the snap hinge system.

Edited by DizzyStormtrooper

Those are clips for the supplied hardhat liner

Oh yeah--I forgot about that thing, thanks

zero i did the shadow and commander cods differently, but i prefer the way i did the commander. on the shadow i moved the cod up and hinged it to the ab for bathroom breaks, whereas the commander held up better when bolted directly to the belt. when cutting both from the ab however i used the curved lines. the shadow just had the straight cut near the nuthugger for the snap hinge system.

Gotchya...I think I'm going to wait till I've got it more together and can see where the belt lines up on everything, but I do want to have a separate cod

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a long overdue update.

I was finally able to get back to my build this past weekend. First thing I did was make myself a neck seal using the tutorial found here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/8402-howto-create-a-neckseal/

I was able to find the 'headliner' material at JoAnn's fabrics, and used some cotton material that felt good for the bib parts.

neckseal.jpg

Next up i decided to get the belt put together, since I already had the sewing machine out.

I found some 3" webbing to use as a base--I wanted something to give it a little thickness, like the vintage cargo straps have.

beltmaterial.jpg

This won't do as is, so I covered it with duck cloth/canvas and added a plastic strip inside, courtesy of a for sale sign from Lowes, and added the velcro to the ends.

blet1.jpg

Next up was the plastic bits, attached with snaps.

belt2.jpg

I later found out I used the wrong belt, so I'm replacing it with this one:

belt4.jpg

Now on to the holster, since I was on a roll with the soft parts. I found a template here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/12935-dimensions-of-holster/

I made myself a pattern to cut:

holster1.jpg

It is worth noting that the pattern in the pic is backwards for a left-hand holster if placed on the good side of the leather.

After cutting one the wrong way, I cut another, dyed it black, barge-cemented and sewed the seam, and attached the various bits:

(Also worth noting: the holes to attach it to the belt are in the wrong spot in this pic (for ANH stunt). I added holes in the correct spot after the pic was taken)

holster2.jpg

And attached to the belt:

belt3.jpg

In addition to swapping out the belt, I'll be scooching in the drop boxes so they line up with the edge of the belt.

That's all for now :)

Edited by zeroskillz

Wow! You got some skills there Lian Neeson. Awesome work.

Thanks bro!

Im gonna have to do the same thing with replacing the belt. Good thing i also used snaps to attach it to the canvas!

I had a feeling you might have done the same thing ;)

At least maybe this time I'll do a little bit of a better job with the heat bend.

Just because it has recessed rivet hiders(the 3 square buttons on the belt at the ends and the middle). Its perfectly fine for basic approval and MAYBE EIB, but its not "screen accurate" and probably would deny a Centurion request. I have seen EIB approvals with others using that belt though

You can, like i said, i have seen AM EIB approved builds with that belt on. Just for the sake of accuracy, it would be better to use the other belt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

okay, I thought I'd give a quick update. I've made a little progress, but not much worth noting--I've been busy working on a costume for my son. This past weekend was the first con he's wanted to dress up for, and he wanted to be a Jawa (proud papa moment). So I thought I should do it right. I made the entire thing from scratch--everything but the gloves. Here's how it came out:

jawahan.jpg

tripR2.jpg

• Like 1