RS Props ab plate issue

gazmosis

Hey Troopers!!!

Most things in regards to armor building are fairly straight forward here. With a million build threads, and both screen used and member photos to reference, the tools are present for people to build their suits the best they can.

There does seem to be a re-occurring theme that in is coming up with greater frequency. This has to do with the side seams on the RS Props armor and the extra material that is very often left to accommodate extra room.

It is both an honor and a privilege to be able to be a daily witness to the talent contained within this Detachment . Few things give me gray hairs. But nothing makes me age quicker than to have to tell a trooper that a repair needs to be done on something they have worked very hard to achieve. However, EIB and Centurion awards focus on details that go above basic approval. The photo references are there and standards must remain. This doesn't mean that the "armor-Nazi" is quickly approaching. I know not everyone is perfect however I would hope that with the ample reference photos and other reference material that others have worked very hard to provide, that we would be able to come very close.

Our "Pew Pew" world has been greatly improved by the presence of RS Props armor. RS has helped the builder out by providing reference points to where certain rivets and snaps should be installed. However, these points need to be approached as suggestions and not law. EVERY set of armor needs to be built according to its owner's frame.  This can pose an issue for those ordering their suits pre-assembled by RS. I hope that this thread will make people aware to head off this issue before something gets installed that would require repair later. Here are the archive shots of the screen used suits showing the hardware locations:

post-12041-0-13798200-1409762955_thumb.jpg

post-12041-0-17161300-1409762970_thumb.jpg

Here is an ab from an RS build I did. This was before they started adding the extra material on the sides. I drew the extended material and circled the original snap location and where it should be if the extra material is to remain.

post-12041-0-65031500-1409762216_thumb.jpg

I did the same with the rivet side. 

post-12041-0-78622000-1409762236_thumb.jpg 

If someone mounted their knee pack on their thigh with the rivet in this position (I circled the correct position):

post-12041-0-29742100-1409762447_thumb.jpg

they would be asked to make the repair. Why should ab hardware be any different?? If an RS suit is presented with the desire the keep the side extensions, then the male snap should be located in the marked area:

post-12041-0-55583800-1409763566_thumb.jpg.

The same goes for the rivet side:

post-12041-0-76201100-1409763630_thumb.jpg

There have been hundreds of builds featuring ATA, AP, TM, T/MC, CAP, TM, etc....Not once did I see someone install rivets or a snap improperly because they planned ahead for gaining weight. They were installed right the first time.

SAM_0031_zps75e248ab.jpgSAM_0045_zpsa2129a39.jpg

This is a simple matter of communication. If you are ordering from RS and the extra material is to remain, discuss with them the proper hardware location or have them leave it off all together and YOU decide what's best for YOUR armor.

This is something that I've seen come up in several builds where people have the extra material in other suits (NE, AM 2.0).  I've had some disagreements with people, but I believe the snap should go at the end point of the ab piece, no matter how much extra material is there.  For an example, here is where I am expecting to put the snap on my NE set:

mZB6Tw9.jpg

Does this go with what you're referring to, Steve?

Steve: Would it be possible to get some measurements (using some common reference point) off a well put together RS suit to share?

From there we might be able to also provide locations for various other armor types that mimic the same proportions.... With a without shims ?

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with You Steve on the accurate placement of rivets, that being said, in one of your images, you show a couple of alignment lines at bottom of Ab and kidney to show location of rivet, what about the accurate location of the cut out at the base of the kidney (new inclusion for Centurion) this will mean that anyone with Armour that doesn't have this moulded, will potentially have this cutout in the wrong place as well, like I will with my AP kit. Is this moving forward, going to be deemed as an incorrect mod or location?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First of....That is perfect, Ron! 

As for measurements, of the rivet placements, aside from the 10 MM in from the seam I don;t know thatI want to get into something that specific. Someone building a kit should be able to find this pic:post-12041-0-59299200-1409780649_thumb.jpg  and compare it to their armor side by side the photo and mark off locations that are deemed acceptable. We don't want this:post-12041-0-91511000-1409780710_thumb.jpg or this:post-12041-0-51834400-1409780741_thumb.jpg, or this: post-12041-0-77673200-1409781169_thumb.jpg As for the male snap (right) side, This should be reference enough to get acceptably close:post-12041-0-71205000-1409780859_thumb.jpg We just don;t want this:post-12041-0-72646100-1409780887_thumb.jpg That is just too far away from that corner location. 

For you, Andy, those alignment lines were something totally different for another trooper. But as for the notch, yes that will be applicable to Centurion armor and will be looked at on a case by case application. It should, however, fall close to the measurements provided in the CRL. But again, if it is balanced and looks good but falls out of the measurement range by a MM or two I am not gonna tell you to throw away your armor and start over. 

All measurements should be considered approximate. Look at reference pictures (not other peoples builds!) and try to do achieve the same look.

The problem we (the staff) always run into is that when we don't provide measurements, people either ask for them, or go crazy and way out of proportion. But if we do provide measurements, people take them way too seriously, as if it was the absolute truth and anything that is off by even a fraction needs to be crucified and burned.

All measurements should be considered approximate. Look at reference pictures (not other peoples builds!) and try to do achieve the same look.

The problem we (the staff) always run into is that when we don't provide measurements, people either ask for them, or go crazy and way out of proportion. But if we do provide measurements, people take them way too seriously, as if it was the absolute truth and anything that is off by even a fraction needs to be crucified and burned.

Agreed. Approximate. I

I was thinking that if we had approximate measurements for various types of armor it may prove useful. Shimming complicates things of course.

We won't crucify or burn you at the stake but we will pelt you to death with black FX ab buttons.

-Eric

We won't crucify or burn you at the stake but we will pelt you to death with black FX ab buttons.

-Eric

Thank you, I just chocked on my Diet Pepsi lolll

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk