So will everyone be ditching their stormtrooper outfits?

I doubt they'll be ditched...

You'll see a handful of the new costumes at first, integrated with the old ones. Then truly new members, inspired by finding Star Wars for the first time, will increase, and the new costumes will do so along with them.

Eventually, I'd expect them to reach a large number, perhaps even rivaling the TKs within the Legion, but those TKs will not go away.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

I would add one to my arsenal but would always wear my original with pride, after all there's a lot more of us oldies around that remember the originals ;)

Good question.  I wonder once the new movies have started will LFL only want newer looking TK's at their events........

I kinda wondered the same thing.  I would hope that it wouldn't be that way since there wouldn't initially be that many members that would have the new armor/helmet (I would imagine).  l really like the new helmet, but there's a part of me that hopes that if they're going to show remnants of the Empire still functioning that there would be at least a few classic TKs shown onscreen, thereby warranting a mix of classic and new troops at events.

I do plan on owning Ep. VII armor and bucket once a clear winner emerges in what (I would imagine) will be a veritable land run of new and old designers vying to be at the top of the heap.  In the worst case, if there comes a point where requests for Ep. VII troopers outnumber classic troopers, I'll purchase a mannequin and build a diorama of the Carbon Freezing Chamber and add him to my dedicated Star Wars room in my house.

Edited by TK10315

Since I'm a bit of a youngin, I'll say this: I fell in love with the original TK from the moment I saw ANH in 1997 when I was 7. I loved the pure evil look from the moment the door got blasted open in the first scene.

If I, who wasn't born for another 13 years after the first film came out, can fall in love with the TK, then I'm pretty sure kids who see the new trilogy first will still love the TK.

You can pry my TK from my cold dead hands.

All joking aside I will still troop in my original TK but will look into a new armor set once they start making kits, which will eventually happen.

On 8/30/2014 at 11:28 AM, Starfox2010 said:

------------

+1 FTW!

Sandtroopers only ever appeared in one movie, and they are still very popular. Why would you ever give up the iconic OT TK?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I've intentionally avoided ALL the Episode VII threads.  I'd REALLY like to BELIEVE it's possible to enter this new chapter of Star Wars with the same wide-eyed enthusiasm I experienced as a child.  That's the idea, anyway.  However, it's tough to be a member of a Star Wars fan community and completely avoid it.  I've guarded very well on the FISD, but I accidentally caught a glimpse of the purported Episode VII Stormtrooper helmet on the RPF.  Looks like a motorcycle helmet to me.  I much prefer the curves and design of the original trilogy TK's over this new design.  I don't resist it, because it makes sense that all things evolve over time.  Much in the same way, I prefer the curves and lines of older cars much more than the all the modern cookie-cutter "ricers", but I appreciate technological evolution that makes my truck go hundreds of thousands of miles without any issues.

Yeah, I'll concede there will be a whole new generation of Stormtrooper costumes, but the classics will never go away.  In fact, they may become even more popular after the initial hit of new Stormtroopers arrives.  When you go to a car show, what draws a bigger crowd, the newest showroom models or the old restored classics?

• Like 2

Yeah, I'll concede there will be a whole new generation of Stormtrooper costumes, but the classics will never go away.  In fact, they may become even more popular after the initial hit of new Stormtroopers arrives.  When you go to a car show, what draws a bigger crowd, the newest showroom models or the old restored classics?

I like that point of view :). Vintage always draws the crowd, it's like looking straight at the history.

It might be also an interesting point to think about some copyright issues ...

As far as we know Lucas sold the Company to Disney under the condition, that all the cosplayers are sacrosanct.

But perhaps Disney shares the view that this only holds true to the already established costumes and will bring out the big sledge hammer when it comes to producing and selling the costumes from the new episodes ...

On the other hand, they didn't stomp their foot on all the marvel cosplayers ...

^ we're free advertising

I'm finding myself comparing SW to ST (don't kill me) as in OT are like the Shatner era, prequels are like The Next Generation or Deep Space 9 and 7-9 might be like the reboot movies (made by the same guy..) in terms of anyone being dedicated enough to cosplay them. We'll just have to wait and see if they even look cool or not lol

It might be also an interesting point to think about some copyright issues ...

But perhaps Disney shares the view that this only holds true to the already established costumes and will bring out the big sledge hammer when it comes to producing and selling the costumes from the new episodes ...

I don't believe it a second.

The 501st is too much of a huge asset in promoting the Star Wars license all over the world. I don't see why they would prevent themselves from this great opportuny of free advertising for these new films by forbidding us to replicate and wear the costumes from them.