How much can I realistically expect to pay to finish my Stormtrooper costume?

My entire ATA set-up came in at just under $1400.  Not including the armor crate and tools (dremel kit, clamps, magnets, paint brushes, knives/scissors, sand paper, etc.)  All-in-all, it was closer to $1600 from start to finish.  Some prices are approximate.  I splurged on a few items like the indestructible blaster, rigid leather holster, & Echo's awesome fan kit, where I could have gone with something less expensive. But some things are SO worth the extra money!   :duim:

ScreenShot2014-09-06at82227PM_zpsef59bdd0.png.3945fdefc1c1ed095d497926b5a20b2a.png

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated
  • Like 2

I just finished putting together a build for a friend, 95% complete build $1009 using AM 2.0 armor.

We don't have to buy the snaps/straps ($10 wholesale) since I already have them, and we haven't gotten him a blaster ($$150kit, 250 finished). Most likely he will get the DVH-DDAY blaster kit/build. He and I already have all of the tools required, so no additional funds there.

So, including those things using AM 2.0, Darman, Sonnenshine, TKittel, TKboots, $1069.

ATA armor is cheaper by a hair if you add the helmet, but I will have to look over the original post and probably (like everyone already told me) revise my numbers!

It could be possible to get towards the cheaper end if you buy a secondhand suit, but then it's going to be pretty shoddy used FX to make it cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I know this thread went quiet but this really is a valuable tool for people who are just getting into this hobby.  I summarized my cost of my build in my thread but I figured I would transfer some of the info to this one.  When Derrek made this thread I thought it was a great idea and I thought people would start posting their totals to give people a heads up on how much this could cost them for a variety of armors and its assembly.  The cost can vary greatly from person to person because there are so many options for every detail.  But the more people who post here I bet we can get a ballpark sample on how much each armor costs from start to finish.  So here is the information from my build.

As you can see from my signature I went with MTK armor.  If you have read my build thread you know how much I love this armor.  It all first starts out with your decision on how great you want your armor to look.  I wanted my armor to look good and I made my decision to go all the way to Centurion from the start.  I would say that I was a modest spender.  I didn't go for all of the bells and whistles out there but I also didn't cheap out on it.  If I needed brackets well then I bought the brackets from Mr. No Stripes.  If I needed TD clips well then I bought them from Evilboy instead of trying to make them.  I never "made" anything on my own.  I sourced everything out from members here, from Trooperbay, Home Depot, Amazon, and Michaels. 

After adding this whole thing up I totaled $1588.54.  Now I would be lying if I didn't say that there is probably another $100 that should be added on to that total because there are some things that I would just grab if I was at Home Depot or something that I didn't keep a receipt for. 

This can really be an expensive hobby but again I think that this price is average for the lower priced armors out there.  You can certainly do this for A LOT more or you can do this for less.  I hope that this helps anyone who is starting out right from picking out their armor to how they want to go about assembling it.

What a great thread! Definatly going to show this to a few people who have been asking me what the cost of being a TK is. Starting to find out myself how much time and $$ this hobby is. But as I can tell, it will all be worth it in the end :)

This thread is great for guys who are budgeting out their TK. I went a little different route than most when setting up my budget for a build tho. I figured out everything I wanted and how much I needed to have set aside to make it happen and I saved. Little by little I would take some cash from my paychecks and put in my fun money box until I was over the amount I actually estimated as the bulk of my kit is coming from over seas so you have to take in account the exchange rate fluctuations. Thankfully I dont need to purchase any tools as I already have way to many for my toolbox and I work in a metal fab shop.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that if you're from the southern hemisphere, you will need to account for higher postage fees too. And a longer wait time. 

Ive probably spent closer to AUD$2000 maybe a little more, but I started with nothing. So I had to buy all the tools (Dremel, hole punchers, rivet guns etc) and all the base materials (snaps, elastics, glue etc.) I also had to go through making some of my own mistakes in sizing like getting the wrong sized boots and gloves. Luckily I resold the boots and didn't loose too much on them. 

But like everyone says, there are cheaper and of course more expensive ways to do it. For example I'm sure everyone has a mate or two that has a garage full of tools that maybe you could ask to use for your build. Even ask your mom or grandma/aunties if you can look in their sewing supplies and raid their kit. :P Or you could go the other way and splurge and get a pro to build it for you. Whatever choice you make, there is no right or wrong. And the end result is worth every single cent as many if not all will agree. :)

I just went back and adjusted the total on my build tracker to not include the extra helmet, Hero Belt parts and some other accessories that didn't get used during my build and my total appears to be about $2150.00.

I can assure you that my RT-Mod kit was less than half of the total cost, and all of the extras and my E=11 modifications had a substantial impact on that final number. Keep in mind that I have an EAS, customized Echo fan system, and Rom/FX board installed in my helmet/armor, and then... There's my E-11. LoL. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you this is very helpful as I am looking to join but was unsure of how much it might cost me or where to go to get everything.

Glad we could help! MAke sure you read the majority of the posts, there are a lot of good tips so you can spread this cost around and not take the hit all at once.

• 2 months later...

I've been keeping track of all of my purchases, including tools I bought JUST for this.  I have almost everything I need now except for nylon straps for holding together the arms and front-to-back connection, and a DoopyDoo E-11 kit, and I'm at $1,652.

• 2 months later...

I am not yet a member, but am looking to make my own molds, vacuform table, and pull my own stuff as cheaply as possible. I am looking at the armor kit prices, and styrene prices.... Could anyone quote what it cost them to make their own molds, and styrene? If I do it myself I am not seeing the average 550$ for the armor and helmet. I've done enough sculpture to feel confident in this. But am currently trying to figure out budgeting before I begin. I figured I'd start with the white armor prices when made from scratch and go from there.

You don't need to make your own moulds or vacation form anything. Just buy the formed plastic from someone who has. Will cost you somewhere between 500-1000 dollars.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

when it comes to Blaster Kits.  Whats better rubber or resin?  Pros Cons?

Maybe stay on topic? This one is about the cost of armour. Not blaster materials.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not yet a member, but am looking to make my own molds, vacuform table, and pull my own stuff as cheaply as possible. I am looking at the armor kit prices, and styrene prices.... Could anyone quote what it cost them to make their own molds, and styrene? If I do it myself I am not seeing the average 550$ for the armor and helmet. I've done enough sculpture to feel confident in this. But am currently trying to figure out budgeting before I begin. I figured I'd start with the white armor prices when made from scratch and go from there.

Feeling inspired to make your own? You'll spend far more than the $550 to buy the equipment and supplies ( vacuum form table, molding buck supplies)THEN you have to figure out how to make all the molds that look like a TK looks.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Especially if you're like me and need to mistakes before learning your lesson... I think I've far surpassed the $1700 CAD mark by now :L Which for our friends to the south is like $1.75 USD lol

There isn't a cheap build. It takes time and money.

• 1 month later...

Anovos Kit was around $900 to get TK approval:

Basic kit- $650 + 63.50 shipping Anovos

Boots- $69.90 + $35 shipping ImperialBoots

Flight gloves- $24.80 Amazon

Thigh belt- $7.99 Amazon

Snaps/straps/elastic - ~$40 Jo-Ann Fabric

Lexan scissors - $17.70 Amazon

Total- $908.89

Still modding for trooping comfort, added an Under Armour heatgear top, the Anovos is like thermal underwear, fan/battery pack for the helmet, and new lenses from trooperbay for better visibility. Will likely also go with an Aker/iComm setup for voice, better leggings, plastidip interior and padding for armor bites. Probably all in for $1,100 to get it where I want for fit and function.

• 3 months later...