My 2mm TM Hero helmet build 8/2014

• 3 weeks later...

So a few weeks and a new ear later, I'm pretty pleased with the results.

IMG_6181_zps2b163abb.jpg

IMG_6182_zps5495da07.jpg

IMG_6183_zpsadb9bb8a.jpg

IMG_6184_zps1d4c4a1b.jpg

IMG_6185_zpsa73afefc.jpg

IMG_6186_zpsbb7c6c51.jpg

I'll probably keep tweeking it a bit here and there, but, considering all I went through to get it this good, I'm not gonna go too crazy.  Remember, the enemy of good is "better".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I am fighting the enemy of good. The enemy of good is not "bad", it's "better". I like my ears. I am seriously contemplating reducing them some.  I like the wide profile the Hero has, and I think the ears accentuates this, but I think they stick out a bit more than they should.  I am going to disassemble soon and start painting, but I may take a bit off of the ears.  Thoughts?  I'll post paint pics soon either way. 

I must admit I suffer from the same affliction / obsession - not being quite satisfied with how my ears looked either. I have fine-tuned and replaced them a couple of times. And as you know it just takes one "oopsie" and you end up making it too thin or inducing big gaps. I would highly advise that you hold off on trimming the ears until you see how the finished helmet looks. There are techniques where you can reduce the width at the bottom of the ear without trimming the top as much by rotating the top of the ear outwards slightly. But this can be done after you've done the detail painting.

And of course you're not going to paint the entire helmet and ear, just the details correct? I'm far from being a an experienced builder, but is it necessary to disassemble the helmet to do the detail painting?

Well put.  Thanks for the feedback. I am thinking that I would have more control taking the ears off and placing them on the table or holding them in my hand.  I'm not too confident in making my thin black lines look good so I am thinking of the easiest way to get them done well.  I may have to remove the brow trim to get to the front traps as well.  Still thinking, hopefully not over thinking.

Yes leaving the helmet assembled you definitely would need to take off the brow trim to paint the front traps. But assembled or unassembled, whichever you feel gives you more control and stability. I left mine assembled and typically had it on an elevated stand (a paper towel holder) so I could easily rotate and angle the helmet. I held the helmet steady with my left hand and painted with my right hand.

For the lines in the rear traps and in the tears you might consider using templates available from trooperbay. Though they were a little messy, that's what I used and they helped get the job done.

Be sure to have a good set of detail paint brushes which includes the thin 00, 0, 1 sizes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...