Sly's First build E-11 doppy full resin

Sly11

I decided to do several coats on the gun barrel, Primer, Flat black, Hammer coat and then flat black top coat.

I did this for weathering the final product.

KBp9DAW.jpg

YrXBTe0.jpg

The barrel is a flat black.

The grip and T tracks are a gloss, so first the gloss parts were painted, no masking was required for this, then once dry, I masked the gloss parts and painted the rest to be flat black.

You spend a lot of time watching paint dry in this hobby, so while that was happening, i moved onto finishing the scope and weathering it plus a couple of extras.

sGX332o.jpg

I used a dry brushing technique. (small amount of paint on brush, then get as much of it of on a piece of paper. you then lightly brush back and forth over the areas you want weathered.) this is usually the highest points and those are the ones that would come into contact if it were a real weapon and used in the real world.

ZS1hOqp.jpg

Uxga1g4.jpg

It's hard to not go overboard with the weathering, but trust me, a little goes a long way, so bare this in mind, when you are at this stage of your build.

Now to another fun bit, the lettering.

On the original scope the lettering was white, this is a really simple and effective technique to get the same look.

Tools needed. 1 x white crayon, a soft cloth and a modeling knife.

First rub the crayon into the groves, I like to use a reasonable force to embed it right in to the lettering.

JXQi1MF.jpg

then simply, wipe it off, towards the end of the scope, this may take a bit of work, so when the friction from wiping creates a small amount of heat the wax softens and most will come off.

I then lightly scrape, and i mean, lightly any surface wax that doesn't come away.

Then for an added touch of realism, i like to dig a little out of some of the letters, it gives that used worn look.

RnlAAkG.jpg

• Like 1

PHUJNss.jpg

i3419n5.jpg

The lenses are simply laser cut CD, thanks to Oevil1, a member of my local garrison.

moving on to the spring and cocking mech, this was a little fiddly, but by no means did I go to the extent that some of the better builds on here went.

5IQXsL1.jpg

bought a short piece of irrigation hose which fit inside the barrel nicely, drilled a hole to be able to screw the cocking lever to, and CA glued a washer inside.

The washer is needed as you need to counter sink the lever into the tube for clearance, leaving a rather thin bonding and screwing area.

SeA52VQ.jpg

HoGZjQX.jpg

This is were it gets fiddly, you need to slide the pipe into the barrel, then screw the lever to the pipe while it is in there.

I drilled a hole in the base of the lever, then screwed a bolt into it, cut it off to the desired length.

Inserted the pipe into the gun barrel, placed the lever down through the side hole and the tricky bit.....screw a nut onto the thread tight, so the lever is locked in place.

Trust me when I say, you don't have much room to play around in the back of the blaster.

From this image you can see there is a large gap between the inner pipe and the out side of the barrel.

of coarse the real depth would only be the actual thickness of the steel barrel, so I made up a piece of plastic to take up the difference.

NwGkltd.jpg

iGycxhQ.jpg

You can see the gap that will be filled with the plastic piece.

M6i5Udn.jpg

some close ups of the weathering.

Personally I don't like to over do the weathering, as some natural weathering effects will take place through trooping

i8Qp2Pw.jpg?1

So what good is having an E-11, if you cant display it when it's not being used for Trooping.

I didn't want to buy the Doopy stand so i designed my own, yes it looks similar to the Doopy one, but it only cost me $3.80 for a piece of pine from the hardware store.

3G3ugMn.jpg

The plans

jFqMwEL.jpg

I made some templates out of cardboard to make sure the dimensions were good, and to see if it would actually work.

BuM7O5O.jpg

Glued nailed and puttied, ready for sanding

ioVKs9j.jpg

The end supports are only screwed in at this stage, a little more putty and sanding and it will be ready to paint

g9eWuP8.jpg

I wanted to put some type of soft material on the support, so as to not mark the Blaster, luckily i have an 8 year old at home that loves making things.

so i went for a forage through one of the crafting boxes and low and behold, we actually had some sticky backed felt material. this just couldn't be easier.

Just cut it to size and peel off the back then stick it on and done.

kjG26WD.jpg

I had them made as I needed a specific size to fit the stand. 60mm wide

But ebay is your friend for Cog stickers if you need larger sizes

Great build, I like how you didn't do too much weathering. I don't plan on weathering mine too heavily, I want it to age naturally along with my armor.