Sly's First build E-11 doppy full resin

Sly11

Just going to echo what's already here...

Ā 

Great job Andrew. Love the connection of the charging handle. Nicely done and you said it, there is not much room to play around back there. It's a pain to get that bit figured out, to say the least.

Ā 

Great build!! ;)

Thank you so much for the praise guys. :)Ā 

To be honest, Steve and Tim, I drew all my inspiration from your Blaster builds, and if not for the level of details you guys put in those threads, I am positive mine would have not turned out the way it did.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

GREAT job, Andrew!

Ā 

You made it look easy!

I really like the minimal weathering - just enough to sell the idea that it's a metal object.

I imagine it takes restraint to know when to quitĀ dry brushing...

Ā 

Nice stand as well.Ā  I also plan to use some form of cushioning on my stand and I was leaning towards felt.

Good to know there's such a thing as peel and stick felt!Ā  :)

Thanks Aaron

I did want to continue with the weathering, and almost started rubbing back some of the barel to expose the steel colour of the Hammer coat, but then thought twice as it should occur through Trooping anyways.

• 8 months later...

Update to my Blaster build

Ā 

Hengsler Mod
I have been meaning to do this mod for yonks, Altair's beautiful Blaster build thread has inspired me to get off my butt and get this relativity easy upgrade done.

Simpixel from FISD makes it straight forward as he not only has a template with all measurements accurately done, but he can also supply a printable form of numbers to put on your Hengsler for added realism. I chose my TK ID 11469

Ā 

clEphCA.jpg

Ā 

First sanded the end flat, taking off what was the raised area of molded counter display. This is where I noticed that my Hengsler wasn't square. Quite obvious in this shot
Marked and ready to recess in for reset button and screen.

Ā 

qYGFYDP.jpg

Ā 

I gave Altair a call, as I was having a devil of a time trying to print the display numbers out at the appropriate size.
He told me he had the same issue and trial and error was the only way.

Here I printed out various sizes, but for some reason, this time the 10mmx34mm actually printed at exactly that and is the one to use.

Ā 

4e5FQWQ.jpg

Ā 

It was time for some Dremell action, also used a sharp chisel to hollow out the screen and counter reset button area.

Ā 

FVDtNUe.jpg

Ā 

Scope (one of my local garrison members) graciously, helped me out today with a piece of 4mm thick perspex. Thanks Jas, luv ya bro.

From that piece I cut out a section 10mm x 34mm.

Ā 

XBX8pRu.jpg

Ā 

I marked the depth it would sit in the recess, and used the end of an Art-line pen to mark the curvature the original lens on the counter has.

Ā 

65d3V2S.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Starting with 80 grit sand paper, I slowly sand the curve into the perspex, following the line marked at either end., gradually moving to finer and finer paper.

Ā 

0FNBaEj.jpg

Ā 

Then hit it with 2000 grit Wet n Dry, and eventually the Dremmel with buffing pag and cutting compound.

Ā 

ZPoDnVM.jpg

Ā 

Used a spare piece of ABS, and cut out the reset button, width, 10mm, length will depend on how deep you drill out the slot to put it in.

Image of the parts to complete the counter.

Ā 

nMlsgI2.jpg?1

Ā 

1YKshuT.jpg

Ā 

Assembled for test fit.

Ā 

f3eKs7L.jpg

Ā 

Next step is to primer, colour coat and then clear finish, reassemble and all done.

Repainting time. Once the matte black has dried, I will weather and colour the crew heads.

Ā 

X3o92Wk.jpg

Ā 

Well, you have got to love the weather conditions . Absolutely perfect for painting and drying.
24 degrees C, and 33% humidity. Everything just dries so quickly.

Painted, clear coated, and assembled.

Ā 

AAPTCQD.jpg

Ā 

pZHbeDl.jpg

Ā 

Mounted

Ā 

8D9zmse.jpg

Ā 

Now, I will consider doing the curly wires that connect the counter to the power cylinders.
Very few of the film used versions actually had these wires so we shall see. Maybe so more research will push me to go there.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Great build sir Andrew! I also enjoyed assembling mine. Tempted to get a second one and add lights and sounds.