Exar's HWT

I've decided to take the plunge into making a Stormtrooper for my second costume with the 501st. This is my first costume with this much armor So i'm sure i'll be asking more than a few questions along the way.

I like the original storm troopers a lot and really wanted to do a Sandtrooper without all the weathering, so the HWT was the perfect choice for me.

I picked up the new 1.5 version of AM armour

20140730_174756-300x168.jpg 20140730_174804-300x168.jpg

After reading many threads on here already I felt confident enough to go ahead and get started on the left forearm.  Using E6000 and some rare earth magnets as clamps, I am really happy with the way it turned out.

20140803_222408-300x168.jpg

20140805_2140021-300x168.jpg 20140805_2139531-300x168.jpg

First set back of the build.....
With my confidence running high I started on my left upper armor piece.  I trimmed a little off each side to get it closer to fitting me, however i found that it is really tight, not in length but in width. When I look a the two halves its more of an oval than a circle. I've used a heat gun sparingly to help widen the gap a little for my "massive" biceps and its fitting better, but not there yet.  I taped it back together and found a few questions had come up.  It feels almost like its too long for my arm, its easily up into my armpit and just under the ball in my shoulder on the outside. Any lower and I have problems bending my elbow.   

So my first question to the experts is does it look like its too long or is that really sitting about where it should be?  It also seams like its still a little too wide and needs to be trimmed in a little more to me...

20140805_194234-168x300.jpg 20140805_194351_1-168x300.jpg 20140805_194415_1-168x300.jpg

Second question is about the return edge. I haven't been able to find a definitive yes or no as to where I should have these edges. If I have to shorten the length any I will lose that edge, and not entirely sure how to put one back on if its even possible.  However trimming it off would greatly help fitting the my armor easier without needing to try and bend it any further, and stop eating up my arm while I play dress up with the parts. 

The lip isnt very big just not sure if it needs to stay or I can hack it out of there.

20140805_194429-300x168.jpg

dont trim any more.

you need to size everything up together. don't finish the biceps or upper arm armor until you have the other side part way.

the armor if it's body tight will hamper your movement.

wearing the entire arm with the forearms complete will help you understand how TK armor fits really close together on average size and length arms and legs.

don't finish a part unless it's screen accurate size and you're sure it will allow movement.

so trim, test fit taped, only when completely sure you've got it then make sure you're wearing your undersuit top too! it makes a ton

of difference to see the sizes needed.

too tight of a trimming is a bad idea.

make sure that you have no plastic at the bottom of the bicep for a return, and you can take some more of the lip

off the top of the bicep. leaving mostly about 1/8-2/8 lip at the front, and 1/4 " at the back top of each bicep.

at the elbow of the forearm there is no return edge on the inside, with about 1/4" at the outside top of the elbow.

just like your wrists should have no return edge.

ask more questions when you get your legs sorted out.

I like the original storm troopers a lot and really wanted to do a Sandtrooper without all the weathering, so the HWT was the perfect choice for me.

You know the HWT is required to be weathered right?

That was my understanding as well. While I really like the light weathering I've seen done, I may leave it clean so I can also do a normal to when the need arises.

Nick, how far along in your build are you? Once we are both done we'll have to trip an event together since your just across the river from me.

Edited by exarfett

I'm about done, actually; I managed to find a post here on FISD selling gently-used armor right when I decided to take the plunge. (I'd like to do otherwise, but between school, work, and military obligations my life is going to be fairly hectic for the next several years.) So the actual armor part of my build should consist solely of touch-ups, repairs, and adjustments to fit. I've got all of the accessories ready and I'm working on scratch-building a game-style pack. That bit is taking a tad longer than usual due to the fact that I'm trying to make it fairly functional with storage space and an integrated Camelbak bladder that snakes along the pack straps for longer troops. Anyway, I look forward to trooping with you! If you've got any questions about building the pack, let me know- I know Dirty Boy on the MEPD forum does great work, but if you're interested in a game-style pack instead, I can (hopefully) provide some tips.    

I'm working on an HWT as well, and here it says that the light scuffing/weathering of an HWT is required only for EIB approval, not basic approval.

So it seems. You are right, and I'm caught showing I haven't read that CRL close enough. Still makes me wonder if anything is sacred anymore.

The reason for asking that is because the MEPD was long ago created to rid the legion of plain stormtroopers tossing on a pauldron and claiming to be sandtroopers. Seeing FISD yank the rug from under their feet like this shames me to be part of it.

Anyways, Mike, best of luck with your build. All the information you need is here to be found. And apologies for the sombre mood.

So it seems. You are right, and I'm caught showing I haven't read that CRL close enough. Still makes me wonder if anything is sacred anymore.

The reason for asking that is because the MEPD was long ago created to rid the legion of plain stormtroopers tossing on a pauldron and claiming to be sandtroopers. Seeing FISD yank the rug from under their feet like this shames me to be part of it.

Anyways, Mike, best of luck with your build. All the information you need is here to be found. And apologies for the sombre mood.

I can understand where you are coming from Mathias.  In one of my first troops I was put off that one of my garrison-mates was sporting a clean sandtrooper.  I was grimacing inside my helmet as he stood next to my TD in photos.  Then I discovered the Heavy Weapons Trooper and understood that he was pulling that off rather well.  Now I love trooping with him as he looks great.  As for nothing being sacred, Lucasfilm signed off on the HWT, so that will have to do.  I'm proud of our HWTs.  Carry on with your cleaner pack boys :)

• Like 1

I can understand where you are coming from Mathias. In one of my first troops I was put off that one of my garrison-mates was sporting a clean sandtrooper. I was grimacing inside my helmet as he stood next to my TD in photos. Then I discovered the Heavy Weapons Trooper and understood that he was pulling that off rather well. Now I love trooping with him as he looks great. As for nothing being sacred, Lucasfilm signed off on the HWT, so that will have to do. I'm proud of our HWTs. Carry on with your cleaner pack boys :)
Except that what LFL approved for the game was a weathered character. Not a clean one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

What I did with the biceps is trimmed the return edge off at the bottom of the outer piece of the armor. It will give you a better fit for your biceps and should alleviate the tightness of your bicep. You can even go as far as trimming as far as half of the return edge on the bottom part of the inner piece of the armor. Hope this helps, it surely helped my biceps out

• 2 weeks later...