Auction Kings

I had the tv on for background noise to this show and my attention was drawn to it when I heard stormtrooper costume.

The host brought in a so called "expert" to authenticate the suit and the value at auction.

The expert deemed the suit a post production costume cast off the original moulds.....LOL

He valued it at $900. In the auction it sold for $1,200 .....here is the pic below (sorry for the quality)

cW09Vst.jpg

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore the image by Sly11, 2021

Yup! The buyer planned on re-selling it for more $ at an upcoming con....yikes

Well, hopefully that con is attended by Legion members and their mere presence causes a lot of questions about the legitimacy of said costume.

Yikes is right!

Lol!!! Reality shows are still shows. They have castings,writers, scripts, directors, consultants and a crew... Ah. And of course, everyone on camera is either an actor or a person instructed to act.

No surprise this is as fake as any other fiction show.

Saludos.

• 3 months later...

I've been in the collecting field for over thirty years, and I know enough to know that I'm no expert. You get to the point where you realize that you are a 'student' and nothing more. These self-proclaimed 'experts' are pretentious egotists who love spouting off about stuff, right or wrong. I knew one of these 'experts' in the military collecting field, who used their status as an 'expert' to routinely rip-off newbies, who trusted the name. That's why we would always preach "buy the item, not the story!"

• Like 3

Well, in the end it's "what's it worth to *you*". My wife looks at my costumes and would through them all in the rubbish bins. If you gave her $50 for my Paradise limited run TE/TE2 double signature helmet from 2007, she'd be happy. A collector could pay $500.

Markets can change too. At one time you'd have been happy to pay $1200 for an unassembled FX kit. This is a big reason why I created FISD - make the information more transparent so people understand what is out there.

Ignorance is certainly not bliss.

• Like 4