PGHtoolman AM armor build

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good, Tim.

Hey can you take extra pics of your shimming process, if possible?.  I am working on my brother's armor and it seems to fit right on the dot right now, in the blue tape state,  but may need some shimming done when it's time for the rivets.  

When I got my armor I received two left shins, within days of getting them a new set was on the way.  That left me with plenty of extra material to make the shims for my kidney and the color matched.

20150101_063747.jpg

20150101_063801.jpg

My strapping might look a little odd, I knew I needed to take 2 1/4" from some where I just couldn't figure out where.  I assembled the back, kidney and butt with all of the snap plates 2 1/4 from the edge to make it easier to look at while on me and make it easier to move the piece to look and see how it needed adjusted.  Now that the back is finished I will put everything where it belongs.

Today was the day I decided that I am going for the off the screen vs off the set.  I know with my armor the way it is I can not get to centurian and  with the investment I have made so far, I am ok with that.  I have gone with the painted metal buttons for the ab instead of painting the raised ones. It looks more realistic to me and if I could ever find real ones that look like these for some sort of sound effect I would do it.

This is my first attempt you can see that I earned the nickname "Toolman" honestly look at the third one down on the right side. LOL

86835457-beac-4ddf-9778-1f79f27067fd.jpg

After doing some filing the hole a little I got it to look better.

20150103_112318.jpg

Put second and third coat of paint for tips and chin.  Used a new Model Master Semi Gloss Black instead of the Model Master Classic Black that I used on the first coat.  The rank stripe might need to be a little bit bigger what do you think?

20150103_114737.jpg

20150103_114750.jpg

Progress report:

new snap plates glued on back, kidney and butt

biceps fixed and glued

shins glued

right thigh trimmed and glued

everything will need a cover strip glued next.

No photos to show, but trust me it made a huge leap forward.

As fast as the build is now going there will not be much time for photography.  I will come back and take detailed photos of the different sections and explain how it was done.

Progress update:

Snaps and straps done for Back
Shoulder ridges trimmed to size
Belt ammo plastic part trimmed to size
Right thigh trimmed to size
Left thigh front trimmed and glued

Too much work going on to take pictures last night

I did the same withthe ab buttons, im going to wait for an updated back and chest piece before i do what i need for centurian. Ugh gluing the snaps is the long stretch. Thats where people were talking about getting as many magnets as possible, it takes so long waiting for the glue to cure in order to keep going.

I did the same withthe ab buttons, im going to wait for an updated back and chest piece before i do what i need for centurian. Ugh gluing the snaps is the long stretch. Thats where people were talking about getting as many magnets as possible, it takes so long waiting for the glue to cure in order to keep going.

I followed your build for the buttons and placement, my goal is to shoot for EIB.  I am very lucky to have a team of TKs helping me to finish up the build.  Based on what I see within a few Tuesday nights I should be finished.  I will try to sneek in some pictures before the next build session starts.

To any of the rookies/cadets/squires/helpers that are reading this, I can not stress enough, get out and meet your Garrison.  I try to help out for one event a month, by doing that I got to understand how the TK works and have made some great friends who are now helping me get my TK done.

• Like 1

A lot of progress last night.

Chest is cut down with a few more mods to go, snap plates and shoulder ridges glued in place
Butt is trimmed down to size and ready for snaps
Back has the shoulder snap plates glued
Thighs are sized, trimmed and glued

next week will be finishing the strapping, rivets, snaps and maybe the belt and ammo pack on the thigh.

Light at the end of the tunnel.

Wish I would have gone to an event to check it out.  I'mg going to do my first troom next moth and already starting to worry.  Good thing is that we have a garrison meeting in 2 weeks, helps me get to know everyone.

Rick,

You will love hanging with people from your garrison and are going to ROCK your first troop. Please post up some pictures when you are done. 

In Garrison Carida they have an Academy, you get assigned to an advisor who helps you along the way, kind of like the veterans here on FISD. They have very simple rules, be a squire (helper, handler) at least once a year, post in your build thread every month and have fun. I am sure I am over simplifying it, but since I have been around waiting on armor and various other things it gave me the opportunity to squire at about twelve events so far. That is when quite a few of the veterans got to know me and when I stumbled on my build they came and offered to give me a hand.

My goal is to build it to EIB standards like you did, if I can make it that far it would be the fifth in Garrison Carida.

• Like 1

Progress from Tuesday:

Cover strips are now done for the arms
Front cover strips are done for the legs
Chest is trimmed down to fit better
Snaps installed in the butt and side of the armor

lessons learned: Don't try to put snaps in the straps without your glasses on, you end up remaking the same end four times.

20150127_185855.jpg

20150127_185904.jpg

Edited by PGHtoolman

Ok, I decided to re-adjust my top half, especially if i'm going to be trooping.  one of the things that would bother me is the neckpart rubbing against my throat. the left and right top flaps (technical term)  curve and sit comfortly on my shoulder but looks like I need to trim down the neckline.  I talked to Fuumantroop a while ago when building my armor but finally taking that step.

I'm going to heat bend the ridge thingy a little more, also.  Nice work.

• Like 2

Tuesday night update:

Thighs are done/velcro mounted
Belt is done except for holster
Torso is done except for some minor heating of the kidney shims

A lot of little things need tweeked:

Raise snap plates on the inside of the chest
Snap plates on shoulder bells
Snap plates on inside of biceps
Snap and Strap the forearm to the bicep, bicep to the shoulder bell, torso to the chest, straps for handplates
Finish the frickin helmet again to make it look awesome

Next Tuesday if all goes well........PICTURES TO SUBMIT TO THE GARRISON!!!

• 2 weeks later...