RS PVC Build inc Helmet from Aussieland

Hi Guys, one thing I am super slack with is build threads.

I received my RS kit late last year, and started working on it at an Armour Party I held in February this year, and have done little since. Another party at the end of Aug, so hoping to get more done. And have the confidence to work on it more by myself.

So here are some photos I took the other night of the work that has already been done, arms and legs may have taken some really basic trimming, but pretty much have not been touched. While the chest and back plates, I am really happy with. Helmet is still in early stages.

IMG_20140728_201718_zps2a04015c.jpg

IMG_20140728_202100_zps48e55a18.jpg

IMG_20140728_202658_zpsbe886191.jpg

IMG_20140728_202111_zps22fd8256.jpg

G'day Alq Veers, how's the weather down in Newcastle. Get stuck into that build mate, plenty of help for every step of the way is found here on FISD

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I'll do my best to keep updated.

As I am mostly working on this at parties, I won't be making much progress. (Hospitality is not the best career choice. Remember that kiddies!). I may fiddle with the helmet a bit more this weekend.

Have just purchased some rare-earth magnets to assist with the gluing stage (somewhere in the future). And am going to get the paint(s), lens material, and a bunch of other things I have not listed yet (like better glue).

Just off the first picture, what are your thoughts/opinions on the helmet? (happy to provide additional shots). I am also considering painting the interior black to reduce reflection. As I've worn both white and black interior helmets and the black would be such an improvement for my eyes,

Edited by AlqVeers

My thoughts on the helmet is you need to trim the brow from the cap to the line, and trim down the ears by a lot. From the 1 photo the eyes and frown look good though.

Painting the interior black i've seen done, but I think it is one of those things that extra and not needed.

Thanks guys, I'll do my best to keep updated.

As I am mostly working on this at parties, I won't be making much progress. (Hospitality is not the best career choice. Remember that kiddies!). I may fiddle with the helmet a bit more this weekend.

Have just purchased some rare-earth magnets to assist with the gluing stage (somewhere in the future). And am going to get the paint(s), lens material, and a bunch of other things I have not listed yet (like better glue).

Just off the first picture, what are your thoughts/opinions on the helmet? (happy to provide additional shots). I am also considering painting the interior black to reduce reflection. As I've worn both white and black interior helmets and the black would be such an improvement for my eyes,

I think the painting of the interior black is extra and not needed. I've seen it done and it works, but in my opinion it's just extra work. Your eyes should be pretty close to the eye lenses already and there isn't much reflection into your eyes because of this. Plus, this wasn't done on the screen armors and why have a RS props armor and not make it 100% screen accurate?

If I want a black interior helmet, and I think it is needed. I'll just have to get a second helmet then :D. We'll run that and drop the idea.

I'll be fiddling with the helmet this weekend, thanks for the further tips!

• 1 month later...

I'm not good with build threads...

Was working on the helmet and wasn't paying enough attention, resulted in this.

10629807_10204317479313272_2908647089347

Thoughts?, worst case is I'll use this as a trial/dummy helmet and purchase another one to work on.

In other news (which I don't have photos for), arms are coming along very nicely, all upper body pieces are ready for fitting and attaching with the rest of the kit. Legs need work.

Edited by AlqVeers

You could align the cracked piece back in its correct position and brush the cracked area from behind with plastic weld or plain old acetone. You could also mix some scrap plastic with acetone and brush the paste on from behind for reinforcement. That should weld the piece in place reasonably firmly and not too visibly if you're careful and apply the solvent slowly, so that it just seeps into the crack gradually.

If you want more reinforcement, you could also use "instant ghetto fibre glass" (super glue with a cutting of t-shirt material). 

• 2 months later...

Long time, little progress.

Helmet is coming along alright. Getting some painting happening, lenses went in quite nicely but I just have to tidy the glue up a little.

Painting the chin is going to be a pain for me, but so far so good. the grey for the teeth is very runny paint, so I'll fix that soon.

Rest of the armour isn't too bad. Most of the upper body is ready for fitting, arms need doing. haven't started on legs. Also have the E-11 a quick go awhile back, but nothing much other than fitting the correct bolts to the barrel.

IMG_20141218_150852_zpsebbf62cb.jpg

IMG_20141218_150908_zps2825ebfd.jpg

IMG_20141218_150843_zps6d535387.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Your ears look like you can still take a bit off at the top of the cheek tube. They are also positioned a bit high. The top of the round portion typically is just at or below the ridge line. It will always be a question to me. Why apply so much black paint for the tiny pinstripe outline in the tears and traps?

• 1 month later...

Some more painting, looking at how to do all the strips atm, then I'll fix up that white blotch in between the eyes. (I cracked it there, nothing to worry about right now). You won't see the black lines in the  gray now as I've finished painting them properly since the photos (earlier this week).

IMG_20150217_193601_zpsduqyhfng.jpg

IMG_20150217_193555_zpss0dq9lyt.jpg

IMG_20150217_193541_zpsqtuseiqo.jpg

Edited by AlqVeers

• 4 months later...

Great work so far! I would think about making the top corners of the temple traps a bit rounder. Once your paint fully dries, you can use some masking tape to make the black outlines a little more uniform. You got this! Hand painting these details is tough.