Fuumantroop's AM armor build

I have not yet trimmed down the metal button plate, I would need to either make a hole in the ab plate to fit them in or replace the nuts.  I did however the other one, it looks like you have to glue it on right on the dot or it kind of slides off a bit. 

Well my phone is not cooperating with me, so pictures are limited until i get a new one on tuesday. Right after uploading this picture to photobucket my phone died and kept power cycling. Won't hold a charge off the charger, and i dont have any extension cords handy :/

So question time, which AB buttons shall i use or is recommended?

A4868AF4-9E32-4E98-A4EC-FDAD24E349F9.jpg

Use the bottom one and trim the side out to be sure you keep only what I have marked in red

A4868AF4-9E32-4E98-A4EC-FDAD24E349F9_zps

• Like 1

Thanks Eric! That one with the metal buttons just seems real bulky to me. Was not sure how to attack the other one.

I did get more progress done, just without a phone, I could not take pictures. Now that my new phone is being synced, hopefully I will have some pics later tonight.

I got my straps glued on to the chest piece, THAT was an adventure by itself! Ended up having to heat up and reshape just a bit to get them flush, as the sides are angled pretty intensely. Also got my thigh ammo pack riveted on. All that was with the help of a local squad member who has the old AM kit.

Well, my first mistake was made...when scoring and snapping the above button, it snapped to the raised edge....that being said, would that effect a potential centurion application.

I know in the screen used suits, there was a small outer edge to the button plate, so that may have just answered my own question.

One potential fix would be to create an outline of the plate with the extra abs that came with my kit, and cut out precisely the amount needed for the plate to fit in, then use some abs paste to fill in the gaps. My worry is it won't turn out as good as I would like.

Why didn't I just use my scissors...

Help!

Edited by fuumantroop

One potential fix would be to create an outline of the plate with the extra abs that came with my kit, and cut out precisely the amount needed for the plate to fit in

Don't remember who, but, someone did that and it looked great.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I'll give it a try. Gotta pick up more acetone from work tomorrow.

My next dilemma is getting the split rivets down. They sure are stingy!

Edit

Got it handled! Using a small philips and then hammering down the rest. The rivet fit perfectly in one of the anvil divets i bought for my tandy snaps.

Edited by fuumantroop

Some pics as promised

Split rivet installed on the bottom of the COD

13D54929-2CD1-419F-9E6C-CE621D88B06C.jpg

Holes drilled on kidney and ready to rivet, also cut out that notch

8A20C6C0-3EBE-4249-8325-E9B19088FCF0.jpg

My ab button plate after i cleaned up the horror

[7B2934D8-1EF6-4C47-9771-1DA100B1728B.jpg

How it sits on the ab plate as it is

CC5E55C0-B981-489C-B2CA-B9A4DF2E6531.jpg

My thigh ammo pack sits a little crooked, and i used the last of my rivets installing them :/ help please!

EE26C573-D597-40B2-9C43-668AB8539D91.jpg

BAAB8861-BB39-43BF-9F82-EB1FFF9A490B.jpg

76A4F088-A467-4F5C-910D-A53BB66C8C23.jpg

Should i leave that return edge on the butt plate?

65B3CC7B-29B7-45D1-8437-B00F7A84B023_1.j

Butt plate flap

BAA3451C-7922-49A3-B31A-68D3C5866763.jpg

Left shoulder strap went on nicely, but is it too close to thr neck opening?

3CEF17B1-7F0D-44A2-BE09-4A2EEE938221.jpg

9768F49A-BE64-4B56-8ACD-A6362BDAD037.jpg

Right one needs work :(

2BBD04FD-0862-4F85-B61E-E79922E51BC4.jpg

66B36A1F-04C2-4FE8-80F0-ADF0F51506A6.jpg

I find myself with a bit of frustration at this point, everything was going smoothly, and now it seems i am stumbling a bit. The shoulder strap is a no big deal fix, just got that adjusted and will sit overnight with e6k. But the thigh ammo pack is causing quite a panic attack right now, maybe it is just me, i'd like to hear your opinions though.

Please help!

Edited by fuumantroop

Some pics as promised

Split rivet installed on the bottom of the COD

Holes drilled on kidney and ready to rivet, also cut out that notch

My ab button plate after i cleaned up the horror

How it sits on the ab plate as it is

My thigh ammo pack sits a little crooked, and i used the last of my rivets installing them :/ help please!

Should i leave that return edge on the butt plate?

Butt plate flap

Left shoulder strap went on nicely, but is it too close to thr neck opening?

Right one needs work :(

I find myself with a bit of frustration at this point, everything was going smoothly, and now it seems i am stumbling a bit.

Please help!

Hey Guy,

I haven't posted anything on my thread because I got grounded :( lol

The thigh belt looks good.  Mine looks exactly the same, and I've seen others just like ours.

Your butt Plate, I took out that lip off and left enough to leave a return edge.  check out my thread.

For your shoulder straps, put them more to the outside edge (your top view pic).  that way your helmet blocks off the inside.

I'll try to post something tonight.  i'm secretly working on my build and its hard to take pics. 

• Like 1

My worry about putting a return edge there on the butt plate is armor bites, of the worse kind as well lol. I may just trim that flap, and have the cheek return edge trimmed at an angle to become flush with it.

The chest plate doesn't really give me much of a gluing surface at all if I were to move the straps to the outside, my chest had to be modded a tad bit more than yours, im only 5'10 180+/- lbs

Question time, is it more feasible to trim the crotch area of the COD to bring up the thighs, or is it best to just trim the thigh tops?

Progress! This will be all i do for tonight. Gotta catch up on our shows :)

Heres my straps, what do ya think?

1DD65E64-896D-463B-9E76-CE288E77F709.jpg

Rivets installed on the left side!

491AE39B-4CF9-47F1-A1ED-C0B2C4C1E9F1.jpg

8F638EAC-F1A8-48E9-BDB1-CAF8139B78B6.jpg

D52BDC7C-6D62-4F71-85BE-2E9E5AA81512.jpg

Heres a before shot of my attempt to add a plastic border back around my ab button plate. Bare with me, it is only in its first stage

544A6F9D-E879-4493-A28C-C378E6CF2725.jpg

FBA538C0-3F55-46F7-94D6-713859EDF35A.jpg

3AD1CF6F-6C73-4C30-922A-62CC30B1A034.jpg

Also got these installed...really helps having a phone to document progress! Much easier than taking a pic using my camera and then having to upload them :) im saving that for submission pictures!

FC778084-1562-4EDD-AD37-7AF819DC099E_1.j

Last bit of progress for fhe day, but it was a fun one i tell you!

Heres my belt, minus drop boxes, TD, minus the angles on the edges, and not attached to the ab armor just yet. I decided, with the help of one of garisson mentors, to attach the canvas to the plastic via snaps. This will allow me to potentially clean the belt if I ever needed to, without worrying about the plastic. Belt got a little dirty in the process, may attempt to clean it up, or may leave it be to give it that slighty worn look.

09729C74-6AD3-41E6-92E0-9B8BA9419783.jpg

Alright more updates, and seasoned vets, I NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE

It most definitely looks like I need to trim the tops of my thighs, I simply just can't get them high enough without hitting my COD or my ab/kidney armor. Now, that being said, it appears as if the back of my thighs are just fine. Is it best to simply follow the top of the thigh in its entirety when trimming, or just trim down the upper portion that clashes with the rest of my armor?

Pictures

E6405F5B-7384-4132-B88B-DA0B864B05D5.jpg

D0DFB9B3-6354-44C9-A8A6-E685D0AB1EC5.jpg

E8BEDA76-8EA4-4F26-A7D3-96E2C4818554.jpg

B7909F10-63D5-4F11-ADD0-1473D4FDC8C0.jpg

DEBCB3F9-D445-49B3-8DD3-2279AA79F8B6.jpg

Still working on repairing my ab plate, almost finished up with it, also still need to find screws to attach my TD to my clips. May also add some small portions of foam along the bottom of the kidney armor, as I have taken the return edge off to shorten it, and now my canvas belt doesn't fit as perfect as I would like it to.

Please help

I think you may have two options here.

1. You could trim some off the bottom of your shins, to shorten them up a little, and make it easier to walk and bend the legs. The bottom of the shins has no return edge to remove so an easier adjustment. Just follow the contour or shape that is there.

2. Trim the tops down on the thighs. In doing this you will remove the return edge.

You can create a new one with a crafting iron, and some sanding, but it is a little tricky. Otherwise have no return edge on the tops of the thighs.

How much movement do you have as far as bending the knees is concerned?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not much at the moment. The sniper knee and thigh belt get caught on my shins. I may tru talking a little off the top of the thighs and a little off the bottoms of the shins.

My shins could come down just a bit to fit over my boot a little better. I was thinking of taking 1/2" off the top of my thighs to start off with.

Thanks! Will have updates tonight hopefully. Going to trim them thighs down a bit, see where im at with my ab buttons, and get that butt/cod connected

Small update, but no pictures. After trimming 5/8" off the tops of my thighs, trimming an additional 1/4" off the top of my separated COD, and about 1/8" off the bottoms of my shins, the armor fits MUCH better! I can even bend my legs better!

Right now, i am gluing elastic inside my hand guards. I am still working on fixing my ab button plate. I went ahead and ordered a replacement just in case.

Whats next?

May have to reshape the butt plate slightly(the tail end sticks out slightly), or I may go ahead and trim a bit more of the return edge there to allow it to be more flexible.

Also have to install snaps for my belt to my ab armor attachment.

Glue on cover strips on the back of my thighs, biceps, and forearms

And paint my side panel ab buttons.

Soon it shall be done!

Edited by fuumantroop