Fuumantroop's AM armor build

Another disclaimer, my forearms, biceps, and thighs are basically free floating, and I have not installed the coverstrips on my arms and the backs of my thighs just yet, in the event that more trimming is required.

I am a lot happier now that I can see the armor together and how everything works in relation to eachother on my own body. It is much less frustrating than trying to visualize everything piece by piece. To anyone currently working on a build, or researching, I highly recommend doing this!

• Like 1

Looks great!  your prospective changes when you decide to put everything on doesn't it. 

I didn't think I would make my deadline for Halloween until I decided to just suit up this last time. 

Have you thought about heat bending the side wings in a bit on the chest?

When you connect your ab and kidney piece, can you stick your hands inside through the top ab piece, or do you have both top and bottom equally snug?

I have both top and bottom pretty snug, maybe a finger width or two spacing, i may trim down the return edge on the top of the kidney just a hair as well. Its bugging me that the kidney plate and ab do not match perfectly, so I still have to figure that out. I do plan on bringing in the wings a bit, may trim them knward just a bit as well, looks a little big to me still.

Edited by fuumantroop

Thanks Scott!

I did make the mistake of naming him Luke...and his sister Leia lol.

My plan is to have the armor ready by October 15th. I might go ahead and split the COD from the ab plate as i don't like how close the ab buttons are to the chest plate. That would also help my kidney plate match my ab plate a lot better. I seem to be finding myself in pretty similar boots as Pandatrooper in these regards. Although my cut on the kidney armor was a complete flukey match as he did on his lol. Perhaps its myself subconsiously recalling his thread by memory, who knows.

Will also be installing my snap plates so I can get the armor more assembled and see where I am at trim wise.

I also took off the pad thats in th middle of the dome on my helmet. The memory foam is so thick, i had to keep pulling my helmet down for a better fit. I have some thin foam I got from work that i will be using in place of the MICH pad.

The last of my snap plates are being glued. Still need to install my rivets on my kidney and ab, rivet my belt together, install my holster, rivet my thigh ammo pack, and finish up installing my cover strips on my biceps, forearms, and the backs of my thighs. I am terrified of using a rivet gun LOL, and I saved coverstrips for last JUST in case I need more trimming.

4038B4DA-FA18-4E99-BCE3-6455EA3E6921.jpg

Ive been practicing using the rivet gun, still not comfortable to use it on my thigh belt lol.

Don't use pop rivet on your ammo thigh belt, please!

Yeah me neither. Wish we could just use split rivets! That would be ideal

Yes! Do that instead! If you use pop rivet you will have to remove and swap them for CAP rivets or split rivets later on in order to get EIB.

• Like 1

Thanks Germain. Wasn't too sure on it, when I practiced with the rivet gun it didn't seem like it matched the EIB/centurion request pics i was looking at. Just could not find the info i needed so i decided to wait. I bought 2 sets of rivets from Echo, will take at them tonight

Don't use pop rivet on your ammo thigh belt, please!

Yes! Do that instead! If you use pop rivet you will have to remove and swap them for CAP rivets or split rivets later on in order to get EIB.

:blink: Well i'm glad I waited, lol 

• Like 1

Well, using TK300s method for an armor "t-shirt" I got some assembly done tonight. This is just a rough assembly, and I did not have time to connect my forearms just yet(baby duty).

So, please go easy on me :) but I do ask that if there are any improvements that can be made, to please chime in. Looking like I will most definitely have to cut the sides of my chest, maybe an inch or two, and I have some other areas I can think of, but would much rather hear it from you vets out there, please. Here it goes!

CCD49D33-74D6-4E2E-BE59-60E24DF8FF46.jpg

87823EDF-06B7-4941-97AE-DAFEA02D3628.jpg

A8E233D4-CFB4-487F-9FC9-A3FCAFE81FB7.jpg

B16F453C-88EE-4C21-874C-5DDC84F65922.jpg

0EE1E604-EEDB-4118-B68A-32D7B617C458.jpg

0E157FB0-1CC5-4CF2-8078-69AAE3ABFA9D.jpg

F46372B6-D216-4EA7-B9B1-A2C22699E777.jpg

B3B14D2A-1BBD-45E6-BC59-39B0EDA65F3A.jpg

Sorry for the quality on some of them, was a little rushed to take pics lol

Coming together! You'll have a better idea how the chest and back are fitting when you get them strapped to the top of the ab / kidney, and have the ab / kidney connection finished.

Thanks Ron! Your build has definitely proved helpful for my build as well! Hopefully will have those connections made tonight. The only snaps i didn't glue yet were the ones for my right side of the ab and kidney plate(i plan on using rivets to either connect the two sides or hide snaps behind them). Just have to figure out what the best way to install them is. Also, and not pictured, I got my Vader Dave thigh garters on and man they fit comfortably. Also need to get my snap glued on the crotch/butt comnector. Again, awaiting the install of my rivets and 2 snaps

Edited by fuumantroop

Ok picture time. Looks like i deffinitely need some trimming

EB078142-CE6F-453F-96A3-015FDE33C568.jpg

47F74275-24F7-4346-A899-45B0AFC9C49F.jpg

2ABFC7E0-01F6-4C2B-9FD4-8896DFC89EFE.jpg

4EA428AA-6E9E-48B7-87BB-340F271993F2.jpg

B0AA6D6B-452F-4685-8909-4F2ACF272F25.jpg

45FC8C1F-76CC-442B-A11A-C07B6659BF42.jpg

286F9212-178B-4D6E-AF7B-9C5FCB528E41.jpg

ABA72533-9B42-4A6E-A0EE-DDFBC82FE3D1.jpg

6CE21BAE-BAF8-49F3-AD6A-7A1B7525B56B.jpg

5EDCB57F-C25B-41CC-BF2D-1675CA838AAB.jpg

9BF63B33-DE09-4DD1-A94B-F6A810B376BB.jpg

B2BE7E97-412E-4EE1-AC74-32059247C40D.jpg

7DA49B00-8796-48F0-A952-DBCBA314CE9C.jpg

The top of my thighs hit the COD when I try to get enough separation from my shins. I can trim the bottoms of the shins a little, maybe the tops of the thighs a tad as well(already have the return edge off of them anyways). I can even trim the COD if needed. I still get a small overlap of the back and the kidney plate, have not made straps for that connection just yet as i was pressed for time. Also will need to glue the chest plate/ab plate snaps on tonight. Had issues with the shoulder bells rotating a bit, but that may be due to me not having the elastic strapped to go around the biceps. My butt plate most definitely needs a trim, a couple of inches lol.

Also thinking of narrowing the chest just a bit, looks like i need more trimming on the sides too.

Thoughts, comments, and help please!

I am also considering to separate the ab from COD and taking off maybe an inch so it fits a little better. I am just a little scared to do so

Looking great, Andrew. I'm glad Germain saved you from pop riveting the thigh ammo pack, that's a cap rivet's job.

I remember being where you are right now. Starting to see it coming together for real, and taping it all on. You're on the right path with all of your theories so far. With your legs, I'd trim the tops of the thighs if your shins are actually an appropriate length.

• Like 1

Just looking at your pics again...

I'd consider making some adjustments to the shape of your neck on the chest plate. It looks very shallow. Cutting it down a bit would allow you to pull it up and get some separation from your ab buttons too.

I am considering that, now lol. It actually did not cross my mind, thanks Tim! I may get brave after basic approval and alter that big curve on the bottom of the chest plate as well. The way my legs are right now, it is a struggle to bend them. Mainly because of the thigh. I did have to venture up the stairs fully armored up, let me tell you, THAT was an adventure in itself!

The journey is almost completed, just a couple of things here and there and I should be ready for basic approval at least. I am still debating whether or not to split my ab from the cod and trim about an inch off. If i do, I will likey have to adjust my kidney, but it would also lessen the overlap of the back plate and kidney in itself. Im trying my best to do one thing at a time, but that finish line is so close my mind has been restless LOL