Ricks AM Armor

So I got my armor :smiley-sw013::jc_doublethumbup: ,

I could tell you the feeling is a mixture of the night before Christmas and Disneyland.  The UPS man even teased me a bit by driving bye my house.

The armor is pretty thick, I thought it was going to be super flimsy.

Here's my armor pix, lots of pieces.....

The BOX

20140728_184836.jpg

Helmet and  2 option shoulder pieces

20140728_200540.jpg

Pieces (I love the extras)

20140728_200158.jpg

More stuff

20140728_200218.jpg\

Sorry so blurry (everything lined up

20140728_195506.jpg

20140728_195645.jpg

20140728_200403.jpg

20140728_200352.jpg

what_now1.jpg

Hopefully you've done some research and know exactly what to do, if not start reading and studying others build threads. Looking forward to the build

Congrats on getting your armor.

Read, read, read... measure twice, cut once.

My box is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday, keep an eye out for a new thread.  Maybe we can bounce some ideas off each other.

Mine is supposed to arrive on Thursday. I plan on having a build thread too. I like your idea PGHtoolman.

With the help of the FISD veterans and your local advisor of course.  I don't want to wander down a pig trail and end up building it wrong.

With the help of the FISD veterans and your local advisor of course. I don't want to wander down a pig trail and end up building it wrong.

Absolutely! It just sometimes helps to know others are in the same boat. Too much knowledge and experience here to ignore it all. I'm sure seeing you guys moving on progress is going to keep me motivated to cross the finish line...in TK armor, of course.

Yea ive read many posts, now I just look at it and wonder where to start (Helmet). Tim and mike, it sounds good helping each other out, along with the help of FISD. Im in the "its to delicate and dont want to break it" stage. Plus we have a good amount of options with all the pieces he sent. Did you guys get a helmet?

Yes I ordered the helmet too. Can always buy a different one if it's as bad as some people claim. I think I'm going to save the helmet until I'm through the scared to cut stage. My thought is to start with the torso sections and work out from there. So much of the fit for the arms and legs seem to rely on their relation to the torso.

Ok, before I start gluing and screwing stuff, I wanted to ask some questions and to see if the helmet looks correct.  everything is currenty held together with tape and magnets.

So here's what the helmet looks like in all its nakedness glory

20140729_135927.jpg?t=1406585543

my head doesnt seem to fit if I put it on regularly I have to turn it sideways, do I make a bigger opening like I show in this pic?

20140729_140102.jpg?t=1406586556

I also noticed this on the side, would it settle in after I add the ears or do I need to trim the bottom somehow?

20140729_135955.jpg?t=1406593159

Here is a side view

20140729_135825.jpg?t=1406593075

Please note I will also be doing the teeth while I glue the top and back.

Thanks for the help.  

I did the same thing. Actually pretty dang easy to put together! With tape at least lol. Im sure ill be freaking out when it comes to glue! Guess we have big noggins lol

Yes you could trim it more to get a better for for your head. My ATA with the padding and s-trim I have to turn it slightly sideways but that's just the way it goes on some buckets.

As far as the gaps go in the ear area I get everything trimmed and fitted and then I rivet once on the ear center and then on the tube where you currently have your biggest gap. This tightens up the gap and makes fitting the ears easier IMO. I would suggest you install brow trim first. Mark sure you have clamps in the eyes to the dome before you dominos so you get the tightest fit possible.

Mine comes in tomorrow (Wednesday)! I will also be starting a new thread. This is my first build, so please don't be afraid to correct me! 

Hey Ryan,

same goes for all of us on the correcting, I think just about everyone getting an AM armor is a newbie.  Good luck and share your ideas and findings, we'll all be checking each others threads.

I did the same thing. Actually pretty dang easy to put together! With tape at least lol. Im sure ill be freaking out when it comes to glue! Guess we have big noggins lol

I glued the top and back pieces today. I also cut out the teeth and will be posting pics tomorrow. Let me know what you do when you get to screwing the ear area.

Mine arrived today as well, I'm gonna jump on this band wagon with you guys.

Sweet! please share your findings and ideas, so we could all be on the same page.  Hopefully you could take better pics than I could.

Yes you could trim it more to get a better for for your head. My ATA with the padding and s-trim I have to turn it slightly sideways but that's just the way it goes on some buckets.

As far as the gaps go in the ear area I get everything trimmed and fitted and then I rivet once on the ear center and then on the tube where you currently have your biggest gap. This tightens up the gap and makes fitting the ears easier IMO. I would suggest you install brow trim first. Mark sure you have clamps in the eyes to the dome before you dominos so you get the tightest fit possible.

Thanks ill try that as soon as the back piece cures.  rivets sound mighty dangerous right now lol.  :mellow:

Looks to be an AM community build lol. Wish we all lived in closer proximity to host our own armor party! Armor party on FISD it is then! :)

Looks to be an AM community build lol. Wish we all lived in closer proximity to host our own armor party! Armor party on FISD it is then! :)

Yea that would have been tight.  LOL its gona be back and forth on everyones build posts

Is everyone staring with the bucket?

I think there might be someone starting with the arms.  Im too scared of starting with the limbs and the least worriesome is the helmet.

Ok here are some updates.

as I was waiting for the glue to set in, I worked on the teeth:

Drilled the holes

Teeth_holes.jpg?t=1406768556

cut the gaps out

Teeth_cut.jpg?t=1406768595

then I filed them down

20140730_203408.jpg?t=1406782250

Not so bad

Face_complete.jpg?t=1406768583

I got a little brave and I drilled holes in the dimples and added some screws to see how it works out (only the screws so I could take them off with ease):

I noticed there was an extra dimple on the helmet's left side.  Any Ideas why?

20140730_212732.jpg?t=1406783278

It's right side

20140730_212756-1.jpg?t=1406783454

It didn't really align right for me, it was a little high on its left side

20140730_212821.jpg?t=1406697750

This is best I could adjusting it.

20140730_214035.jpg?t=1406783487

I'm going to plan it out again tomorrow, maybe make a new hole on its right side to align it better or add the rest of the screws and see if that helps.

Please note that it might just be my helmet, I don't want to discourage anyone since it's my first build (rookie mistake?)  

Make sure to clamp the eyes to he dome and position before you drill. That should help getting the alignment where you want it. Did you already trim the top of the face mask?

Hey Chris,

No, It was difficult setting the clamps in there. I used magnets and tape to keep it in place.  I was following Darth Voorhee's tutorial and didn't see him mentioning trimming the top of the face,  I thought the lip was something I needed to glue (I held off on it). I just emailed MightyTank about it.

I ended up starting from scratch, I didn't align the top and back correctly and the right side ear doesn't fit and wouldn't be able to add a screw at the bottom.  I made a rookie mistake thinking there was a little difference in make helmets.  it seems that the right side temple (my right) is longer than the left, therefore it throws off the helmet alignment for the face. you could see on the first pic of his tutorial that he trimmed it.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/26301-ne-helmet-build/

I thought it was going to be easier since there were dimples added. Lesson learned for my brothers helmet.  Im going to trim that part and go from there.  i'm also going to trim the eyes more to use the clams.  Thank the Force for E6000 being removable.

• Like 1