Can anyone identify this?

RichTrooper

I'm wanting to buy and complete my own armour (prob going for RS) so am looking on ebay for a "practice" model. I stumbled across this today but the seller cannot/will not tell me what type of armour it is etc.

It's a complete and fully strapped set but as it's looking cheapish i'm thinking about getting it to do some tinkering and getting my eye ready for the real thing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251600771746?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_25wt_1192

Thank you for any help & advice

What do you want to "practise" and "tinker" with? Considering it's so called complete, there would be nothing to do other than adjust straps to your size. Better off starting from scratch with a known maker. You can get complete, new kits for that $$

We all felt daunted by the prospect of building armour. There are plenty of people here in FISD that can guide you every step of the way. One line I here repeated often in these forums is, "most mistakes are fixable", so, in saying that, you would be better off, doing your research and buying armour from a vetted maker here on FISD. It seems the ebay guy is not forth coming with answers to your questions. This rings alarm bells to me.

If you are going to do it, do it the right way and avoid sellers on evil bay .

I agree, don't worry about the messing up the armor thing. Just measure twice, cut ones, take your time and research ahead of time and you'll do great with it.

Some of it looks like FX armor.  It's not a really great pic, so some of it is hard to identify.  I'm sure someone else here will be able to identify more.

Personally, I wouldn't bother getting this to practice on.  Go ahead and get a good set of armor and take your time building it.  There are lots a good build threads here and many knowledgeable folks to answer your questions.

Good luck!

The armor is not FX. Looks either like CAP, or even a TE2. its a great set of armor! although I wouldn't recommend buying a 'practice' set. The RS and its cut lines will be completely different on they join cause of the origins so this TE derived armor won't help with problems of RS. Besides, you won't get the practice you need with this armor, even if you rip it apart just to reglue it, cause all your doing is re glueing it. It won't help you with assembling the helmet either.

On top of all that has been previously mentioned, the potential "test" kit is not put together very well/properly. The ammo boxes on the right knee aren't trimmed and are upside down, and the belt... The belt is nowhere near close to correct.

You'd be much better off getting your good set of armor and taking your time with it.

Looking a little closer, both the shins and the thighs are closed with velcro.  I don't have an issue with velcro for shin closures, but the thighs should definitely not be velcro-closed.  

It also looks like the shoulder plastic is what is getting used to connect the back to the chest, and I see velcro squares in the front.  The shoulder plastic should be for looks only and not a functional connection.  The back-to-front connection should be with elastic.

It also looks like the forearms might be closed with velcro as well.  I'm seeing some sharp edges that look similar to how the edges are on the thighs and shins.

There are no rivet covers for the belt.  A very minor detail, but a detail nonetheless.

I'm with everyone else here.  Get a kit from a trusted vendor and build it right from the beginning.  Don't get stuck with correcting someone else's mistakes.

How about this one? Says he got it 20 years ago from a guy in Swindon who imported some moulds from the U.S.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321476226265?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_310wt_1192

Or this one. Guy reckons it could be a TM from a few years back and has only pert built it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231279046056?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_82wt_1192

Hi Rich,

Seems as though you really want to buy from eBay! And while there's nothing to stop you, I (like the others that have posted above) feel it would be a waste of time and money.

These built and part-built suits that you've highlighted will do you no favours at all if you're looking to get a raw untrimmed kit to do yourself, especially if you get an RS. All you'd be doing is comparing these old kits to the raw parts you have in front of you. This could be more of a hindrance than a help, especially if the previous owner has trimmed it incorrectly.

Do yourself a favour, save your money, buy your final proper kit, look at reference pictures (of on-screen armour ideally) and ask questions here if you're still unsure. We were all daunted by our first build, and we're all here to help.

Si.

Hi Rich,

Seems as though you really want to buy from eBay! And while there's nothing to stop you, I (like the others that have posted above) feel it would be a waste of time and money.

These built and part-built suits that you've highlighted will do you no favours at all if you're looking to get a raw untrimmed kit to do yourself, especially if you get an RS. All you'd be doing is comparing these old kits to the raw parts you have in front of you. This could be more of a hindrance than a help, especially if the previous owner has trimmed it incorrectly.

Do yourself a favour, save your money, buy your final proper kit, look at reference pictures (of on-screen armour ideally) and ask questions here if you're still unsure. We were all daunted by our first build, and we're all here to help.

Si.

Nothing more to add after this.