Jes Gistang [KWDesigns] build thread

UPDATE - I am approved! Yay! :) In case some future Legacy builders are struggling, like I did, here's an inside view of what I did. I'm sure there are way better ways to build, but I just kept trying things until it worked.  * DONT GIVE UP - YOU CAN DO IT!!!  *  I've re-done the strapping, painting, put holes in the ab plate, changed my mind... E6000-ed... rubbed off the E6000... and then re-E6000-ed again. I permantly attached the chest to the ab plate, and permantly attached the left ab side to the kidney plate, like a clamshell.  The back plate is permantly attached to the kidney plate.

I basically cut off the top inch of my ab plate - like they say  NOT TO DO. Well, I was so frustrated, and it just worked for me - thank the armor gods. 

Here's some pics. WARNING - These are scary! I'm not saying MY way is the way to go... I'm just saying ~ Don't give up little Troopers! You can get through this.

I took off my hand painting, which basically was horrible, and bought the stickers. I really wanted to say "it's all hand painted" but I had to admit defeat and move along...

DSC_0001_zpshlepz8zp.jpg

Attached knee piece to shin piece and added padding inside the knee...

DSC_0002_zpsp4ltgq7j.jpg

I should have used black elastic... but I black markered it.. and now the black ink keeps rubbing off. Arggh! haa haa..

Oh - i made the elastic strip too long... so then i went back and made it shorter by sewing.

DSC_0003_zps4gwey8j1.jpg

DSC_0004_zpss1setcdp.jpg

Belt had to get hooks. I discovered that I LOVE hook - n- eye closures. I made the elastic strip longer b/c I have a hard time

seeing down the chest and the extra length seems to help. I am able to twist my belt 1/4  way around, hook that sucker, 

then twist it back into place.

DSC_0005_zpslutn3zjl.jpg

see how there's extra velcro on most pieces ... i just add more strapping over what i previously tried...

DSC_0006_zpsiiaogm7s.jpg

More hooks attached to the inside ab plate. At the top of the ab plate you can see where I bent the top over and it cracked, but it cannot be seen.

DSC_0007_zpsxtgd8du0.jpg

This crazy mess is the inside of the back plate connected with black nylon strapping, where I used snaps.

Next, I used old blue rings from my chain mail project. I E6000-ed them to the back plate and used white elastic

to tie the back plate and kidney plate together. They are basically always tied together. 

You can see a long white elastic strip with the hook hanging. There are 2, which I glued to the right side kidney plate, 

and the closure bars are glued to the middle of the inside AB plate.

DSC_0008_zpsnxlicqq5.jpg

This shows the clam-shell approach I ended up with.... I still have blue 

painters tape to take off from my recent changes. :)

DSC_0009_zpsfg3zhltm.jpg

Chest and back plates are attached with snaps, there are holes in my kidney plate from who knows what I tried... and it looks crazy, but it functions.

DSC_0010_zpscygyos5s.jpg

Here's my shoulder bells and biceps. I added more velcro and moved each bicep slightly more forward, which helped secure the bells so they looked better. 

DSC_0011_zpsapbnolwt.jpg

Hope this can help somebody. I've had lots of help on these forums and from Chris.  He's my GA garrison GML and he was so nice - I didnt even cry once! haa haa :) I needed to make adjustments on my wonky thermal det... I ended up re-E6000-ing it two times. I decided on buying the cheek stickers from trooperbay after 2 attempts at hand painting them. I'm glad I gave up that battle. It got too frustrating. Oh, I ended up adding the elastic strapping with hook - n - eye closures for both legs - and Chris was right... all those things needed fixed. I could use some more padding and adjustments to my helmet, so I will work on that next. Thanks for reading. Cheers to all the troopers!

Edited by jnnfr72
  • Like 1