Opinions on SDS

Hi guys,

I'm looking into my first set of armor, and I like the SDS "battle spec" line. It's a little closer to a price range I can actually reach, but before I jump, I want your opinions on the line. Is it good quality, or worth the investment?

I'd kill to get some of RS's hero setup, but at $2k, that's not happening unfortunately.

I've also emailed AP, and like what I see, though I'm a bit confused on how his stuff is shipped.

Any opinion is welcome.

Well SDS is pretty much a recast of a TE2 derived armor. His helmet is not that good looking. You are better off taking the AP.

What is the confusion with his shipping?

Eric

I believe the gamut has been run.

SDS... Nah.

Just stick with who is listed in the getting started section's who to buy from list, and you'll have no problems with the kit itself.

Edited by Dark CMF

Hi F1Guy

AP is in Canada, he ships to his business partner in the US and then he in turn ships out from there. Apparently international shipping direct from Canada is far more expensive to ship direct, so he uses Canada-US-to where ever to save on costs.

I am in Australia and have been waiting about 4 weeks so far for a shipping notice from USPS.

Hope this helps

AP shipping works really well. I make AP lids and armor for people, and my shop is wide open, so if you order a built kit

you'll get it much faster than a 8 month wait for ATA.

getting into armor is very expensive, and usually requires lot's of extras,

AP armor is much better quality than some armor's around, and with little to no wait for production and shipping.

SDS armor and helmets are usually frowned upon around here, since we feel his quality standards

and methods of construction are not as we need them to be.

I personally think that AP and SDS are very close to each other, with the AP helmet being tighter, and more well shaped.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Just get an RS kit instead of fully built its cheaper than an SDS and you will have the most accurate armor available. Don't listen to the SDS website, all they did is recast AP armor and its got much softer details. Basically all the armors available came from one derived suit except TM CFO RT-MOD and RS. ALl the others ATA MTK CAP-W TE TE2 AP BFA CTM MONCAL are all derived from TE armor. All with subtle differences. Just pick any of those so much more to offer than SDS  :)

So far I think I'm going to go with AP. His armor looks good, and the price is fairer than RS. I think he takes payments too!

You won't be disappointed. He does take payments. There's a couple things you'll get with the armor kit that you'll want to replace like the helmet lens and the belt drop boxes. Drop me a PM if you have any questions....

What is wrong with the drop boxes?

He supplies only the front half of the drop boxes. If you go for centurion level, you'll need to either build the back half or order new from someone like trooperbay. Trooperbay also has darker lens for the helmet to hide you eyes from the outside better.

Good to know Slangen. KWDesigns does inner drop boxes that fit AP and are well priced.

Good to know Slangen. KWDesigns does inner drop boxes that fit AP and are well priced.

Forgot about that. Unfortunately I didn't see about KW's inner boxes till long after I ordered full boxes from trooperbay...

Depends on the kit you order. Mark can trim the armour for you at an extra charge, or it will come untrimed.

Things you will need for higher level approvals: Rubber S trim, inner drop boxes, darker lens material, rubber gloves, latex or rubber hand guards , Centurion approvable rivet kit ( Echo, here on the boards can supply the rivets)

Various elastic widths for strapping. You will need to decide on which strapping method suits you. Thermal detonator clips, also available here or make your own.

TK boots, or buy black boots and colour them... Sorry, I have assumed you didn't know any of this,I will no go on, but if you think there is anything else you my need or have a question on, other will chime in I'm sure.