This should be interesting - First Build

Hey everyone,

By a chance of luck or timing I was able to get my hands on an earlier spot for some ATA armor - I figured since I have some downtime at work to start my build thread. I'm more than likely going to do the ANH Stunt - still trying to find the major differences between Hero and Stunt, though I've heard teeth and neck seals are some of the main differences.

I will probably be following some of the ATA armor build How-To's here to have a better understanding of ATA's armor and how people build with it.

Helmet (PandaTrooper): http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/tutorials/article/1-howto-assembling-ata-abs-helmet-1/page-9

Armor Build:

MissingPieces on the FL Garrison Boards - http://www.fl501st.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13262&sid=45538a78e84fde4eda4a8bb2323e4664

PandaTrooper on MEPD - http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=6775

I'm more than likely going to be joining my husband in the Florida Garrison of Squad 7 so I can get onto the build thread for the FL501st.

I'm hoping to work on my helmet this week since I want to wear it for pictures in my wedding next Sunday then work on the actual kit and aquire the rest of my pieces once I get back. Probably going to host an armor party too so I'm not doing this on my own as well.

Going to add pictures once I can access them too :)

Edited by nerdbaitplus3

The hero has bubble lenses and less teeth than the stunt. It also only has 3 bumps on the ears rather than 4.

Also, the Hero only has two screws on each side of the helmet. One above the ear bumps, and the other at the bottom of the helmet, on the bottom of the ear tube.

The Stunt has three. The two above, and a third one, below the ear bumps.

Good luck with the build. Can't wait for my AP armor to be shipped out. Cool facts on the differences between the stunt and the hero. I LIKE IT !!! I will be doing the stunt. Will post pics when I finally get started.

Ok, so I've followed PandaTrooper's how-to up to step 3 - which is fastening the cap and back. 

bucketcut.jpg

I'm a little nervous about this next step - also didn't realize I didn't have a riveter or smaller clamps at home so I made a quick run to Home Depot to grab these items.

Make sure you look at plenty of reference shots from the movies as well, don't just rely on build threads, everything you need is on FISD . Looking good so far , I agree with Sith Lord, file out the teeth a little more and square up the corners.

Once you have the cap n back trimmed, just clamp it on with clamps through the eyes and adjust it until you get the brow in the spot you like. Then you'll need to give it a little persuading and push in the piece where the screw connects the cap n back to the faceplate and make sure everything comes together right. Once those are drilled and screws installed, its just a matter of getting that sweet spot with the ears and screwing them in. Its all downhill from here. I spent the most time out of my entire helmet build trimming the eyes.

Oh those ears....

I rough cut them with my scissors first. Then I broke out my dremel with a sanding barrel. I started shaping the ear, a little at a time, then I put it up to the helmet and saw how it fit. If there was a piece on the ear keeping other areas from touching the helmet, that's where I would sand down some more. I did this over and over and over until I got the fit I was happy with.