Hovi speakers + iComm?

My first ATA is nearly delivered and I'm going crazy with all the cool options for internals. My goal is to eventually configure a self-contained, functional helmet in terms of voice modulation and speaker.

I found hovi mic tips with speakers inside:
-----------

And I found the iComm:
http://www.voicebooster.com/icomm-imperial-communication-system.html

But is there any way to have the hovi mic amp power the iComm instead of the Aker amp? Or am I being too idealistic for having almost no electronics hardware experience outside of computers. Thanks all

EDIT - I also read the walkie-talkie post and wonder if somebody good at the sort of thing could take a pair apart and mount the workings inside a helmet? Seems relatively easy... maybe?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT - I also read the walkie-talkie post and wonder if somebody good at the sort of thing could take a pair apart and mount the workings inside a helmet? Seems relatively easy... maybe?

Perhaps you can Try :-)

I am also working on this topic i will order the Walki talkies next week

Has anyone ever considered installing flashlights inside the mic tips? It might be harder to install nightvision into the lenses.

Forward facing lamps for illumination sounds familiar (might just be thinking of the Falcon tho). It'd be fun to add some diffused (not for blinding, or maybe have a "stunning" undiffused setting lol) toggle headlights and other actually useful customizations

Edited by charlesnarles

Perhaps you can Try :-)

I am also working on this topic i will order the Walki talkies next week

I just got an eFX bucket to try out some techie ideas (I'm so not electronically inclined). Worst case scenario I electrocute myself again and order new walkies :D Let me know or post a build thread about yours once you get a chance

• 5 months later...

So what was the result? Did you try out the hovi tip speakers with an icomm?

I'm trying to decide between the rom/fx and the icomm.

The rom/fx has great reviews and is thin (so easy to store), but I'm waiting on a reply from the manufacturer.

The icomm seem easily assessable but the box is quite big to store in the helmet. Also, can anyone recommend another way of powering the icomm. Most people seem to use the aker power speaker, which I don't want since I am going through hovi tips.

So what was the result? Did you try out the hovi tip speakers with an icomm?

I'm trying to decide between the rom/fx and the icomm.

The rom/fx has great reviews and is thin (so easy to store), but I'm waiting on a reply from the manufacturer.

The icomm seem easily assessable but the box is quite big to store in the helmet. Also, can anyone recommend another way of powering the icomm. Most people seem to use the aker power speaker, which I don't want since I am going through hovi tips.

The Icomm is made to be powered by the Aker speaker. So you don't have a choice to use it with. Icomm and RomFX are both good. The major diffrence is that you can't ajust your burst volume on the Icomm compare the RomFX. But, the RomFX is twice the price of the Icomm (with exchange rates and shipping in Canada)

With the size of my nugget, there is no way I can get the Aker to fit in my bucket. Even EvilBoy's fan system did not fit in my helmet.

My opinion on the Mic Tips speeaker are they are not loud enough in Major events. You easily get feedback, since your microphone is close to your speakers.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

That's what I heard too; not worth it, at least not for trooping. How big is an iComm? Does it even need to be in the helmet? I'm really tempted to just take the cases off some nicer walkies I got for Xmas and see if one would even fit in my vocoder cavity. Might even look kinda like the cross section/scaled models. And put the receiver/speaker walkie in the chest piece I guess. OR a throat mic to prevent feedback plugged into chest-mounted transmitter, with the receiver in the vocoder so sound could just come from the mouth/inside the helmet? With headphones on too somehow to not be deafened by the speaker 4 inches from both ears LOL I like my first idea better. Transmitter in helmet, speaker outside.

Edited by charlesnarles

• 1 month later...

I've looked at the links and even the ebay ones (even though I THINK I read somewhere -grin- not to buy stuff on ebay) and am thinking this is cool.  However, Radio Shack, Mouser and a few other electronic type business I know of, the prices are a bit up there.  I am looking into it, but has anyone seen ANY other things like this in a bucket.    ANYTHING "different".

So far I've seen Fans, seen speakers inside with the mic's located inside as well but the area that picks up the sound just barely poking out of the sides above the ears, and I've seen wireless mic's that are directed to "x" sound system mounted in the chest plate ?

Anything else with that cool factor ?

Thanks,

Dan