Recast from the 3d Space(ie Battlefront, Galaxies, and Jedi Knight)

So I was having a recasting discussion and it occured to me, is it considered recast if you have a 3d model from a game, say the e11 or a thermal det, and refined it a little, then with the help of a 3d printer and a vacu form table make a product? Its my understanding(and I may be mistaken) that some armor and items are recast from movie/tour orignals and are accepted. Wouldnt this be the same? It is not my intention to do any of this Im just looking for where the FISD falls on this

• 3 weeks later...

Before I was a 501st member, I used to be on therpf quite a bit. Most of the pepakura Iron Man costumes were built this way. There are great 3d artists there fore sure as well and they did make great pep files as well, but I always liked the ones from the games. During the time people were doing this, no one seemed to have a problem with it.

Before I was a 501st member, I used to be on therpf quite a bit. Most of the pepakura Iron Man costumes were built this way. There are great 3d artists there fore sure as well and they did make great pep files as well, but I always liked the ones from the games. During the time people were doing this, no one seemed to have a problem with it.

The biggest thing about people making ironman and so on from the 3d pep files is that the authors of these files have provided them for open use, so it's ok to replicate them because of this.

It is however completely different to buy a set of armor, make a casting from it and then make your own molds/bucks to produce armor, without the original makers express permission to do so.... And they almost never will give permission to do so.

As far as the OP question, I think taking a 3D model from a game and having it printed is one of those borderline things, that is generally accepted. You are taking a digital media then making it reality. Granted in this day and age digital is becoming as sensitive as solid matter in the realm of copying.

I think that likely the creator of said digital item/model unless they have given permission to reproduce it would not be happy it was recreated without permission. Then again sometimes a digital artist would be super pleased to see their creation come to life, if they were involved in the process.

It is a new field working with the copying/reproduction of digital files, so we will have to see how it works in the future. 

I'm leaning towards digital files are just as sacred as physical items in the realm of reproduction unless you have created the digital file yourself, or have the permission of the digital artist.

It is one of those shades of gray things.... hard to be black and white.

• 3 months later...

Hey thanks for starting this thread, I've recently started making 3d art currently working on some Star wars rebels stuff, I've noticed on the RPF one member in particular Firefek (think that's the name) charges you to download his pep files, PDO format, and he does incredible work!! would I be wrong in assuming that if he charges to down load the files permission is implied?

Hey thanks for starting this thread, I've recently started making 3d art currently working on some Star wars rebels stuff, I've noticed on the RPF one member in particular Firefek (think that's the name) charges you to download his pep files, PDO format, and he does incredible work!! would I be wrong in assuming that if he charges to down load the files permission is implied?

That is a good question as well.

I am pretty sure unless you enter into a direct agreement with the maker that you want to buy the files to reproduce them for sale, it is a very grey area. Buying the files is generally for personal use and not for making multiple copies for sale.

When I pay TrooperMaster for a helmet kit and have it downloaded (shipped) to my hard drive (workshop) for me to build, it is implied that is is for my personal use, and not for me to copy over and over while making money off  of the initial work of TrooperMaster.

Unless expressively said that you can do what you want with the paid for files, assume that you cannot.

When I pay TrooperMaster for a helmet kit and have it downloaded (shipped) to my hard drive (workshop) for me to build, it is implied that is is for my personal use, and not for me to copy over and over while making money off  of the initial work of TrooperMaster.

Unless expressively said that you can do what you want with the paid for files, assume that you cannot.

Best analogy ever! Very well said, Mathias :)

Thanks for the good feedback, I can't say I agree with the analogy, but I understand it's meaning and AGREE 100%. example, you assemble a troopmaster (insert trade mark here) and another person assembles a troopmaster they will still look like troopmaster when they are finished, painted different, decals..etc.

Two people can do the exact same pep file(fiberglass and bondo method) and have completely different results so much so that you cannot identify the original file used in some cases. Is this an excuse to recast? NO!! I have respect for all the talented people who make this hobby so great!! Anyone who is making a profit from any of this is where the "re-caster" term should be exercised in my opinion. I have never made money off what isn't mine ..haven't made money at all...lol mostly loose money. I do it because I love it point blank.

The point of the analogy was to tell you, you shouldn't try to make money selling pep files you have not made yourself, nor been given permission to re-sell. Regardless of how the output of those files turn out.

There is a member who has done the following

• pepakura printed base
  • modeled from that base in bondo
  • created forming table and heater/blower
  • makes and sells helmets on the FISD

these are facts.  where does an analogy fit in?

the OP of this thread is asking if the above is sanctioned on the FISD,

armor buld thread

HELMET CONSTRUCTION from a pepakura base

Sales of product using Plastic

as far as I know, just because a mold is created, does not "give permission" to sell products.  it does happen.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

• 4 weeks later...

And just my two cents.  A pep model is a computer based model printed and assembled by an individual.  I customized my pep model because I didn't like what I found.  The model was free to use and open sourced.  Open source pretty much means you can do whatever you want with it as long as you don't limit others of the same use or sell the pep model.   And once you put bondo on a pep model the model's dimensions are now changed.  The pep model is only a base for a sculpt.  The sculpt itself is still original.  In fact I am tweeking the sculpt once again to fit my tastes and to incorporate some of the comments I have gotten from Vern and others.  It is my own.  It is original.  But the actual shape of the design is owned by Lucas.   It is a fan sculpt remake of a copyrighted design.  I don't consider it a re-cast. And what I do sell is only for 501st members or those who support the cause. 

Bottom line: I am not a re-caster.  The pep model was free and open source, my sculpt is my interpretation of the original form created from the ground up.  So I disagree that those who sell should be labeled re-casters.  The statement is too broad.

• 2 months later...