Sorry I can't help, I use a button microphone that is attached inside the bucket.

Mike, the MEPD DL gives a recommendation at the bottom of this page of his website:

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I use the lapel microphone from Radio Shack wth good results. It's a powered microphone, but I have been reading that it will work w/o the in-line battery. OBVIOUSLY this is because the amplifiers people have been using them on have a "powered" port, or using a RS amp mod that Skullworx developed. THis microphone is pretty versitile and can be mounted pretty much anywhere that suits your needs/wants.

here's the link:

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 5 months later...
Thank you, gentlemen.

Is there anyone here with the Trooper Com Interface? I need to pick up a mic for mine. I am guessing it probably doesn't need to be 'powered' because the unit already has a battery, right?

If anyone has advice for me, please share. Not real good with the tech stuff.

I've been spending a lot of time on this lately. I have a LE Master Replicas "Hero" helmet that was kind of expensive. It comes with lining that I didn't want to mess up by attaching electronics. There isn't much room for headgear either. I got the radio shack mini amp and the powered tie clip microphone (item #33-3013) mentioned earlier.

I wear a thin lyrica hood made by under armor over my head. Again this is an attempt to keep sweat off my helmet and keep it nicer. The mic wire just runs right under the neck seal and stays put on my bottom lip thanks to my stretchy hood. The mic is close so a light blow makes a great static burst. No cramped headgear, no big expense on an overseas sound board. The only drawback is that I have to breath through my nose or you'll hear me breathing. Hasn't been an issue though....

I use this mic: -------

I just use velcro strips to hold the entire harness inside the helmet and thus can remove the helmet without keeping the harness on my head.

I removed the powered portion of the mic since the TCI does not need it with this microphone.

Mike

TK1362

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

scout trooper said:
I use this mic: -----

I just use velcro strips to hold the entire harness inside the helmet and thus can remove the helmet without keeping the harness on my head.

I removed the powered portion of the mic since the TCI does not need it with this microphone.

Mike

TK1362

Thanks for the reply. I looked for this mic today but they didn't have this one so I will have to go to another store location. Can I ask what is involved in 'removing' the powered portion of the mic? Does it just unplug or do you have to 'get tech' and do something special?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

-------

I have a TCI, and I use this. pop the mic out of the base, inside bucket system....never had a problem. Mic is powered by unit

Hope that helps..

Boozel

JTKenobi said:
Thanks for the reply. I looked for this mic today but they didn't have this one so I will have to go to another store location. Can I ask what is involved in 'removing' the powered portion of the mic? Does it just unplug or do you have to 'get tech' and do something special?
Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I use that exact GigaWare PC Mic from Radioshack ($12.99) and it works great. You can use it with the Radioshack amp with one minor modification to the amp. You have to jump the power to the Mic lead so that the Mic is powered by the Amp. Otherwise you have to use a powered Mic with the Radioshack Amp. Here is a photo of where I did the jump, notice the small red jump wire on the lower left, and where it is soldered. Thanks to my ECG mate, Eric Seeman who showed me this trick.

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I was going nuts with the feedback, and this tiny little mod seems to have fixed my problems.

By the way, I was using the inner part of paint caps as a speaker housing (idea from another post), but it seemed to aggravate the feedback problem. Without the caps, I have hardly any feedback. I'll play around some more, since bare speakers are unacceptable.

Don't mean to hijack the thread. I first tried the tiny RS lapel mic but didn't have much luck with the powered omni mic. I returned it and got the RS uni boom mic and still had feedback problems. Then I read Chris' post. Sooo...

Ok, just in case anyone is interested... Any sound escaping from the front of the speaker (if you have internally mounted speakers) will cause feedback in your mic - be it uni or omnidirectional. I'm using standard RS mini speakers:

-------

which are mounted inside the helmet behind the aerator bulge. Like I said in my previous post, I had mounted these bad boys inside spray paint lids, first with some foam behind 'em to reduce feedback (which didn't work), then with some denser foam (nope), then with some Dynamat - both inside the lids and out (SQUEAL!). That's when I grabbed some adhesive putty, like Blu-Tack, but whatever is available in your area will do. I used the Duck brand stuff (which happens to be blue), but the white Scotch stuff will work just as well. Anyway, I placed the speakers flat against the areator bulge/hole and puttied all around the speaker, making sure I filled all the holes. Result - no feedback at all. Even with the RS amp cranked to the max! I then spread some more putty around the speaker, laid some Dynamat down in the base of the spray paint caps, trimmed the caps down drastically (so I could get my big grape in my lid :rolleyes: ), and hot glued them onto the speaker/putty assembly.

I'll post some crappy cell-phone pics this afternoon if anyone is interested. No in-progress shots, just nearly-done shots.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Boozel said:

-------

I have a TCI, and I use this. pop the mic out of the base, inside bucket system....never had a problem. Mic is powered by unit

Hope that helps..

Boozel

I like that. Nice and simple. How do you have that mounted in your bucket? Got any pictures? Also, any feedback issues with that mic? Saw that item at Radioshack but have not made my purchase yet. Thanks!

John

John,

Just velcro it in, thats what I did. that way it is removable and adjustable.

No feedback issues what so ever.

here are a couple pics, hope they help.

Boozel

-----

JTKenobi said:
I like that. Nice and simple. How do you have that mounted in your bucket? Got any pictures? Also, any feedback issues with that mic? Saw that item at Radioshack but have not made my purchase yet. Thanks!

John

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 1 month later...
scout trooper said:
I use this mic: --------

Mike

TK1362

Mike,

I got this same mic now but my AP bucket is so small that with the TCI in the bucket, I don't know how I can fit this in as well. I like the idea of the entire harness in the bucket. Do you happen to have pictures of this that you could post?

Thanks for all the input guys!

John

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

John,

Just velcro it in, thats what I did. that way it is removable and adjustable.

No feedback issues what so ever.

here are a couple pics, hope they help.

Boozel

Posh bucket my friend. Which helmet is that? I tried that mic out but found it didn't work well for me. Not sure if it was the specific one I had or what but I returned it for the one ScoutTrooper referenced.

I am wondering if that mic w/harness and the TCI will both fit in my bucket though. I don't want to cut open my helmet any more to fit my noggin inside.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah i got my troopercom, and tried the powered tie clip and standard headphone boom mike with a RS amp i got,, way too much feedback no matter which mike i used, i tried a newton amp, and got good volume but that things way too big to use on a trooper, but would work great for my vader with the V2 unit.