It's happening! [*CAP]

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Belt is done and all I have left for it is the TD clips. I also ordered some slate grey humbrol paint to make my frown and ears more screen accurate. I also need some Velcro to put on the backs of the shins and belt then it should be great. I'll get you all some pics once I wrap it all up!

Alright, couple updates. Two things left: Velcro and screws. What size screws and washers go in the TD? I also ordered some Humbrol slate grey super enamel to make my helmet more screen accurate. The color is right but the super enamel REALLY wanted to run. Its a bit messy but overall looks better.

IMG_1108.jpgIMG_1109.jpg

dude! bucket looks amazing!! great progress! i would try tho to take in the ears. around the tube towards to bottom of the bucket. they seem a tad wide. 

the thermal looks great too! good job! 

as far as the screws on the thermal. i don't recal the exact size how ever they have to be rounded. i dont have a picture with me however :( i got them at ace hardware. they are no larger than 4-5 mm i think, :P paint them black too. 

just look for standard small rounded flat head screws with a bolt on the end of them

Just added some velcro to the back of the shins and front of the ab plate/belt back. The only thing I have left is getting some screws for my thermal detonator. What size do you guys use for that? Or do you use something else? I looked at the ones at Lowes and they all looked too big. Also, the padding in my helmet works but it doesn't stay in place very well. I currently just have the standard yellow foam petal glued into the top. I have chin straps but those don't seem viable. I've been considering cutting out the petal and replacing it with a different foam.

Thoughts?

The only thing I have left is getting some screws for my thermal detonator. What size do you guys use for that? Or do you use something else?

I used these. I got them at OSH but im sure you can find them at Lowes

20141007_220357.jpg?t=1412745861

I'm a bit late to the party but.......

The easiest way to bend the shoulder straps is to put them in a pre heated oven at about 160 and heat them for about 45 seconds and take them out with a pair of oven gloves and bend them over a small saucepan with straight side or something similar....... 

Just watch them in the oven, if you leave them too long they will turn into flat plastic again!

I'm using 2 mm ABS.... Yours looks like HIPS... but I might be wrong... in which case heating times may differ... You will get a much more uniformed curve if you do it this way opposed to heating with a gun which will just give you hot spots and it will kink in those hot spots like your have done.

Good luck!

Mark.

Edited by sskunky

I don't know if you have fully assembled the thermal det yet, but the screws should be flat on the underside not tapered. Make sure the control panel has all the flashing removed. As for the screw locations, there are no measurements. Make an eyeball comparison to the reference pics available here.post-12041-0-16869700-1412770011_thumb.jpg. Mark and drill the locations on your clips first. Position the clips on your detonator and mark onto the pipe.

Your armor looks fantastic!!! great job!!! the only two things i saw was to

1) close up the sides of your ab to back plates.

2: reallllyyy trim down those shoulder bells there is alot of return edge hitting the bicep. take them in. (only can see your left side)

and to answer your screw questions on the detonator

mine are

IMG_20141010_124221_zpsde8c27bc.jpg

and these are my bells.. look at them compaired to yours. i think you can see the difference.

IMG_20141010_124243_zps4ed56a54.jpg

great work though!!! :)

also i put a hard hat liner in my bucket. works wonders!

Edited by Stormy1992

You can always uses more abs to fill the space. (however it may not be an issue)

and i glued mine in with hot glue. works just fine :) and thats great that you got one! i just went to my local lowes and bought a 6 dollar hard hat and kept the liner. :P

what comm package?

Edited by Stormy1992

alright i would have recommended the icomm system. its a little more pricey but it makes a killer addition to the suit.

http://www.voicebooster.com/icomm-imperial-communication-system.html

they are designed to work with aker voice amps.. however it could work :P

Alright, got some flat black screws that worked on my TD. That's finished now. But since you can only buy screws in bulk at Lowes, I now have enough screws to assemble several hundred thermal detonators. So, if you need someone to do that for you....hey.

Edited by Grimez

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh, it's done. The thighs need some work and I need to install the inner drop boxes but other than that it's over. The thigh garter fell apart on Halloween so it just sat in the box for months and I unsuccessfully tried to sell it. But it's fixed now and we're back in business.

You guys have any ideas on where to put a speaker? I tried putting it under my chestplate but got a LOT of feedback. I tried it again with the mic under my helmet and speaker on my belt so it was the chestplate causing the feedback. I was thinking the belt, but it's black and I don't want it to be too obvious if I can avoid it. I would like easy access to turn it off if I do get feedback though. I'm using this one: http://trooperbay.com/18w-portable-voice-mini-pa-amplifier-loudspeaker/

• 1 month later...