It's happening! [*CAP]

Oh ho!  You were referring to my kidney plate!

Sorry, not upside down.  You can't see it in this shot because it's washed out, but there is a square indentation at the bottom there that I had cut out.  Also, the line you drew is not where the edge is.  Here is the piece just after I cut out the square notch.  You'll see the return edge of the square notch:

fycl5BO.jpg

Compare that to the pic you are referring to, and you'll see you're drawing the line at the notch, which isn't where the edge of the kidney is.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh ho!  You were referring to my kidney plate!

Sorry, not upside down.  You can't see it in this shot because it's washed out, but there is a square indentation at the bottom there that I had cut out.  Also, the line you drew is not where the edge is.  Here is the piece just after I cut out the square notch.  You'll see the return edge of the square notch:

fycl5BO.jpg

Compare that to the pic you are referring to, and you'll see you're drawing the line at the notch, which isn't where the edge of the kidney is.

Yours is fine! It's the CAP amor thats upside down. CAP armor has no notch.

Nick, that pic you drew the line on?  That's my armor.  That's me standing there in my living room.  :D  I was showing Christian what an over-lap of the ab and kidney looked like, and how I cut my pieces to remove the overlap.  That isn't CAP armor.  

The only photo Christian has shown of his kidney in this thread is the unboxing photo.  :)

Would these be right? Three yards would be plenty. 

http://www.joann.com/black-braided-elastic/11384468.html#q=black+elastic&start=12

These seems to be the right snaps, might need two or three packs though.

http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Heavy-Duty-Snaps-White/dp/B001HZQZVU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406778330&sr=8-3&keywords=dritz+%2324+snaps

Not having much luck with the white canvas strips for the shoulders, what search terms did you use for that?

Yep, that's the black elastic I used for my straps.  And those are the snaps I used.  I think I used 4-5 packages of them.

As for the white strips, I didn't use canvas, I used elastic as well.  I didn't use braided elastic, I just used 2 inch white elastic - http://www.joann.com/knit-elastic/11384401.html#q=knit+elastic&start=19

Yep, that's the black elastic I used for my straps.  And those are the snaps I used.  I think I used 4-5 packages of them.

As for the white strips, I didn't use canvas, I used elastic as well.  I didn't use braided elastic, I just used 2 inch white elastic - http://www.joann.com/knit-elastic/11384401.html#q=knit+elastic&start=19

Ah, perfection. I'll research the installation of those and i will be well on my way to the finish line.

Edit: Seems that is out of stock, would this be an acceptable alternative?

http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-9319W-Stretch-Waistband-Elastic/dp/B004KYZ3QS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1406790126&sr=8-5&keywords=dritz+white+elastic

Edited by Grimez

Hey Christian.  You're build is going super fast and I wish mine was going like that.  Anyway, I know that was maxsteele's photo of the kidney plate but I have MTK armor and I know that CAP and MTK are pretty much the same.  I have a small notch in the middle of the bottom of my kidney.  If you have that notch, then the notch goes down.  If you end up having a question about it when it is your turn.

If you have some trouble finding some of the elastic you are looking for, you can go to trooperbay.com and they usually have what you need in stock.  Make sure you get extra snaps because I know in my build it took a handful of them to get used to putting them in. 

I'm on the west coast, only 10:55pm here.   :)

One of the reasons it took as long as it did for me to build my kit - I only really was able to work on it after 10pm.

Edited by maxsteele

I have a helmet strap and fitting foam in the mail from good ol trooperbay. I'll be getting more spray paint tomorrow. I'll likely use the fitting strips on my forearms, thighs, and possibly biceps. Then I still need to order those snaps and straps. Did that white elastic I found look alright to you? I don't think you responded to that.

Through research, the majority of people use 2" white elastic.  I have seen mention of using 1 1/2", but I do not know the differences you may encounter between using 1 1/2" and 2".  I used 2" and installed 2 snaps on each strap.  Using 1 1/2" you may be limited to one snap if you wanted to do two.

You can use hot glue initially to see if it's where you like it, as it's easy to remove if you decide you want to change something. You can always redo with E6000 when you're confident you'll not change it.

I say this in that it always seems to take me a few troops to dial in these kinds of things.

You could try taping it.  Magnets are always useful.  But yes, try trimming off the painted bits to attach and see if you have better luck.

Build is looking good Christian! Keep at it. Are you building to EIB/Centurion standards? They're not that hard to achieve if you do it from the beginning! ;)