1st Trooping

TKedt

A couple things:  First off, congrats on your first event. That is something every trooper will remember for the rest of his life. Second, I would hook up and be wing man... with someone with more experience that you can observe until you get comfortable. Third, take this time to get used to functioning in the limited visual environment of your helmet. Next is establishing who you are in your armor. Are you a background type of guy? Are you a "take control" up front type of guy? How you interact with the public is critical. You will be constantly hounded for pics. This is the cool part of what we do. However, try to keep an eye out around you. You will find that there are kids that can't get close to you fast enough...and kids that can't get AWAY from you fast enough. You will learn to recognize this just by their actions and the looks on their faces. There are some kids that can be gently convinced to come near you with kind words and encouragement, and others that are just plain too frightened. Don't push the frightened kids. If fear turns to tears you lose.

Most of all, enjoy the moment of being able to step outside of yourself. For people to know and love you that don't even know who you are. You are living a dream that everyone who wants to take pictures with you wants to live. Oh, and by all means, look out below you. In your helmet, you can't see down. I cannot tell you how many kids I have biffed on the head with my blaster that I didn't see standing right in front of me. Make sure someone you know can take pics of you. YOU WANT TO REMEMBER THIS NIGHT!

I agree with what Steve has said.  Really try to get used to wearing the helmet and getting used to seeing(or lack there of).  Most of the pics I take with people, I'm really not even looking at the camera.  They can't see your eyes so they will never know.  I am usually scanning the crowd and determining  who is next, or who looks a little hesitant.   For those kids who really aren't sure, it usually only takes a hand shake, high five, or fist bump, to get them to come around.  Also, while scanning the crowd, be on the look out for anyone overly aggressive to take a pic.  You will get asked for hugs, and in general you can give those, but there are people out there who come in for a big bear hug.  Don't let them get a hold of you.  The armor is only plastic, and I have had fellow troopers get their armor cracked and in some cases broken from a hug like that.

From time to time, check your TD.  Make sure that it is still there.  I don't know how many times some kid has tried to sneak up and take it right off of my belt.

Like Steve said, hook up with an experienced trooper.  Watch and learn, but above all, have fun!

I've been trooping for 7 years now and I can still remember my first troop. 

Enjoy!

Congrats and good luck! I had my first troop a couple of weeks ago with one other member of the Ohio Garrison and like Steve said, you will remember it forever. I can't stop looking at the pics a buddy of mine took for me. I did end up having a kid who followed me non stop....he started out okay but just kept at it. Even to the pointy of my buddy taking a couple of stickers off my back. I learned payin attention to everyone at the event was the best thing to do. I greatly appreciated havin someone there with experience but I also learned it's best to walk around, carefully! As if looked and walked around, I waved and held up my hand to give a high five to gauge the kids reactions, even the adults as well. Some parents of the kids that were hesitant walked over to me and gave me a high five to show their kids it was okay....of probably close to 50 to 75 kids, only one cried....I felt horrible but the father gave me a high five. One time while walking around, I looked over to see a girl in a wheel chair and she had a huge smile and just waving at me....it was a wonderful feeling. A couple of other kids told me about their toys, a little girl kept telling me she wasn't scared of me cause she knew my blaster was fake.

Steve and Brian obviously gave the best advice....while we love what we're doing, seeing the kids and adults smiling, wanting pictures, the best thing for me to think about is we're helping them to forget whatever their problems are, even for a little bit!

Good luck!

i wonder if being a shorter trooper may get more approachable for kids?

I think it's all up to how comfortable the kids are and how well they know your character. Waving and giving a hand up for a high five and even a thumbs up makes you more approachable than being shorter. You'll know right away whether they are comfortable or not by their face or running behind their parent so you can back away. While all troops and crowds are different, parents were good at helping at my troop.

Things will fall off.

Your nose will itch.

You'll get thirsty.

It will be hard to see.

You'll be nervous, but excited.

People will love having their picture taken with you.

When it doubt, be in character (act official).

Don't try to climb stairs on your first troop unless it's away from the public, and don't try to run (see first note).

Relax, enjoy, and take lots of photos. There will never be another first troop.

When I went to the Rose Parade, everyone stood on the bus ride there.  Everyone sat on the ride back.  You can keep the butt plate on, typically what you have to do is unsnap the thighs and rotate them out or let them go down over your shins.  It also depends on height - us taller folks have more room in the back to allow this to be an easier maneuver.

Everything is dependent on which armour you have and how you have it strapped and how you are built.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Everything is dependent on which armour you have and how you have it strapped and how you are built.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I completely have to agree with Mathias.  I have an RS suit built to screen accuracy and it is impossible for me to sit down easily as my butt, kidney and back plates are all connected.  This also can make it very hard to bend over.  Before trooping I would suggest taking your armor for a test run around the house or even around the neighborhood to learn how well you can see and if you need adjust armor pieces to avoid getting pinched.  Most of all have fun.  My first troop was at Motor City Comic Con in armor I took pictures with Ernie Hudson next to the Ecto 1 car from Ghostbusters.  It was the highlight of my weekend trooping.