How do I answer the question: "Did you make all of this?"

maxsteele

I'm nearing the completion of my TK, and when showing people the various pieces I have, I have had the typical "Did you make this?" question.  It's normally sufficient to say "Yes".  However, I have had several people follow-up with questions like "How did you get the plastic in this shape?"  "How did you make the molds for the plastic?" and similar types of questions.

I know the official 501st stance is that we don't sell anything and to respond with "we make all our own costumes."  However, I didn't make the plastic.  I didn't vacuum-form the pieces.  I purchased the plastic from a vendor, cut the pieces to fit me and set up the strapping system to be able to wear it all.

How should I answer someone when they ask questions pertaining to how I molded the plastic?

I tell people there are several armor makers who make the raw armor. We then have to build it into the costume you see here. Or I tell them it is standard Imperial issue. Depends on how I feel that day and if they are annoying me or not.

I say we purchase in kit form and have to assemble it, i'ts like a full size plastic model kit. If they want anymore info I suggest they sign up on the forums ;)

I'm having a debate with one of my non fan good buddies who hassles me about my fancy dress costume, where I correct him that it is ARMOR!

But seriously, I just say there are makers who make the raw white plastic to a general shape then I cut to my size and put it all together with the other accessories.

i think the only problem with just saying you bought it, is that then this person may go home to e-bay and find a suit to buy..and then well you know...

I usually say like smiling fox said.... "its imperial issue"...or, if they aren't being annoying, and seem genuine about the question, i tell them there are certain members in the legion that vac-form the pieces into a kit and then each member trims and builds the kit to their specs. It omits "bought" from the equation...just in case ;)

Edited by Darth Voorhees

i think the only problem with just saying you bought it, is that then this person may go home to e-bay and find a suit to buy..and then well you know...

I usually say like smiling fox said.... "its imperial issue"...or, if they aren't being annoying, and seem genuine about the question, i tell them there are certain members in the legion that vac-form the pieces into a kit and then each member trims and builds the kit to their specs. It omits "bought" from the equation...just in case ;)

I usually same something similar to this.  'We have other Legion members that have sculpted and molded the armor and each one of us trims the armor to fit our body.'

I too like to avoid the word 'bought' as it makes it seem like we just went out and paid for finished Stormtrooper armor.

I usually same something similar to this.  'We have other Legion members that have sculpted and molded the armor and each one of us trims the armor to fit our body.'

I too like to avoid the word 'bought' as it makes it seem like we just went out and paid for finished Stormtrooper armor.

I usually say roughly the same thing, that way it shows how much work we put into our armour as well :)

or just give them the 'standard imperial issue' response that so many of us use haha

I like the "Standard Imperial Issue" comment for when I'm trooping.  I'll keep that one in mind. :)

I'm also referring to people who I'm talking to about my armor and the 501st, and they bring up how I 'made' it all.  I have been giving the answer that I get it from other members who vacuum form the armor, and then I cut and assembled it all.  I also receive follow-up questions about how much it has cost me.  If I'm comfortable enough with the person, I'll let them know (friends, co-workers, etc...), but I also stress that no one makes any profit, and then I go into the history of the creation of the 501st, which ends with:  "...so I'm doing it all for charity!"  Everyone really likes that part.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Edited by maxsteele