static burst walkie takie talk

OK. In my first try I suffered Feedback so I had to turn down the volume. I avoided feedback but the volume wasn't loud enough. Any advice to deal with the feedback issue?

Edited by Luis.J.Trevino

• 2 months later...

Today I tried a new configuration, with one of the walkies facing my body and the other one facing the chestplate. It improved volume without feedback, but the batteries lasted just a couple of hours.

Edited by Luis.J.Trevino

• 2 months later...

Might be a dead thread but mount the transmitting walkie to the back plate and the receiving to the front. Might cut back in feedback. Anyone have any updates to this? I might just go this route. Keep it all simple. Or the android app route if it works out well.

Ā 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Those looking for a economical option PLUS better frequency security. You have this i found on amazon http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV5R-Dual-Band-Two-Way-Radio/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1434999146&sr=1-6&keywords=walkie+talkie

Ā 

They are originally 130, on sale now for under 30 USD. Also has a microphone input and speaker output, incase they arn't loud enough.

Ā 

I THINK, if someone has come up with a box (either inline or for the speaker output) that inserts the static breaks, it would be a perfect alternative. I'm sure someone can program an Audrino board to do this funcion.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Those looking for a economical option PLUS better frequency security. You have this i found on amazon http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV5R-Dual-Band-Two-Way-Radio/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1434999146&sr=1-6&keywords=walkie+talkie

Ā 

They are originally 130, on sale now for under 30 USD. Also has a microphone input and speaker output, incase they arn't loud enough.

Ā 

I THINK, if someone has come up with a box (either inline or for the speaker output) that inserts the static breaks, it would be a perfect alternative. I'm sure someone can program an Audrino board to do this funcion.

Also, I think that the link you posted is for just one talkie. So you would spend $60 for 2 of them. Still cheap, but just wanted to point that out.

Ā 

Has anyone else done this and have recorded their success or failure?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm considering this, but I'm looking through all the walkie talkies available... and it's been a few years since the original post of this thread

There's a lot of kid's walkie talkies, which are very small and could probably fit the speaking radio under the chest plate or possibly even in the bucket (feedback though...). Also, invasion of other speakers is probably a lot less these days, since cellphones are so ubiquitousĀ 

Ā 

However, one should look into radios that are able to be connected to mics. I recently found these teenyĀ tiny handheld walkie talkies (I want to say, 1/4 the size of my palm, and I'm a petite Asian woman)Ā that would have fit perfectly into the vodocoder part of a helmet. Probably would have walled it off with some foam. But they did not have a microphone input. :(

• 2 months later...
On 7/15/2014 at 7:29 PM, gamesforbreakfast said:

A few people have asked for some more details regarding my voice setup.

Ā 

I bought a set of LXT600VP3 Midland Walkie Talkies open box from Amazon, they were around $30. Midland makes a bunch of these at various price ranges, I went with the LXT600VP3 because it has a low power mode for short ranges (like 2 inches in my case), and it comes with rechargeable batteries. These are velcro'ed into my chest plate, with the speaker facing my body. With the ab plate on, it lifts the torso up high enough to prevent the walkie's speaker from being muffled by my chest. My ATA bucket is really cramped, but you could potentially shove the broadcasting walkie in there if you wanted the audio coming from your helmet.

Ā 

One of the walkies is plugged into a Midland Throat Mic, this is your broadcaster, keep the volume turned down/off. You could use a traditional mic, but a throat mic won't have any problems with feedback, or fan noise, and you're free to take your bucket on and off without wires getting in the way. The second walkie is your receiver, crank up the volume, and make sure both are set to the right channel. You can turn on VOX mode on the broadcasting walkie, or use push to talk (PTT) button that is built into the throat mic. The cord is a bit short but can reach your belt or anywhere on your torso or ab plate. PTT sounds a little better, as VOX can clip your first syllable, but being hands free is pretty damn convenient (just remember to switch off your walkie before complaining about the child you almost tripped over).

Ā 

My neck seal actually makes the mic sound better as it holds closer to my larynx, it's no more uncomfortable than normal.

Ā 

a3ju5Pr.jpg

RtS5lPg.jpg

Im going to check our this set up. Awesome