static burst walkie takie talk

so I been trying to get a device to mimic the static burst for stromtrooper voice. Nothing is good or very poorly. So I just got a tiny pair of walkie talkies that you can turn off the notification sound so it makes the static burst after the transmission. I attached 1 inside the bucked so its run with a microphone. This model has the VOICE option so you dont have to use the PTT button to transmit. It detects when you talk and the mic opens. I attached the other walkie talkie to the belt so it acts as a speaker. so far this is the closest thing to the real thing i think. What do you guys think??

I think I'll stick with my rom/FX. After all, it is purpose built for the task.

yeah the fx its a great unit. wish I have the $$$. This was a $30 alternative. Better than the amp that just makes the voice louder

Everyone is entitled to their opinions....even myself. I think the Icomm is too sensitive. The guys in my Garrison who have them are crackling and popping all the time without even talking. It's just plain distracting. I like just the plain "click" before and after my voice which I can do with my own mouth. Hail to the Aker!

Someday I'll build my dream PPT button and my icomm will kick an impolite person. Until then I can't handle all the clicking and popping from the VOX. That said, I still really dig my icomm.Ā 

Ā 

I have these magnetic switches with no moving parts. I'm thinking about somehow mounting one on a finger and other on my blaster or another finger. More on that someday when I have more time in my life.Ā 

Ā 

-Eric

As everyone has said, there are a number of task-specific options available, and they all have their pros (amplification, static bursts) and cons (price, availability, preset sensitivity levels). At the end of the day, you've got to do what works for you at the time, even if that's being the strong, silent type until you can order the device that you really want to use.

Ā 

In the meantime, you've found a way to bridge the gap, so to speak, and I think that the ingenuity is pretty cool. I do wonder if you'll have feedback issues though, as walkies are prone to that in close proximity.

Ā 

I am a big fan of the Rom/FX personally, but as you've seen, there are multiple options available for this purpose.

Ā 

I'd love to see something like that, Eric. This community has no shortage of creativity or skill sets, that is for certain!

Edited by Dark CMF
  • Like 2

I was thinking of something similar but I don't have room in my helmet for the walkie. I'm planning on using a throat mic,Ā mounting the broadcast walkie in my chest plate, the receiver on my belt. That way I don't have to worry about fan noise, feedback, or wires in my bucket. I'm glad to see this method working before I invested in it.

Ā 

Ed, Is the broadcasting walkie talkie loud enough in noisy environments?

I was thinking of something similar but I don't have room in my helmet for the walkie. I'm planning on using a throat mic,Ā mounting the broadcast walkie in my chest plate, the receiver on my belt. That way I don't have to worry about fan noise, feedback, or wires in my bucket. I'm glad to see this method working before I invested in it.

Ā 

Ed, Is the broadcasting walkie talkie loud enough in noisy environments?

I tried at comicon and no problem. I think that a party were there is music and stuff may not be great. However, the receiver has a 1/4" to plug an external speaker.Ā 

I picked up some Midland walkie talkies, and the compatible throat mic. Both walkie talkies fit under the chest plate. It works with both Vox and PTT, no feednack or fan noise, no wires tethering the helmet. Seems like a great solution, very cost effective, and sounds just like movie. When I get my mount glued in I'll put up a photo if anyone is interested, or record some sounds from it.

• Like 1

A few people have asked for some more details regarding my voice setup.

Ā 

I bought a set of LXT600VP3 Midland Walkie Talkies open box from Amazon, they were around $30. Midland makes a bunch of these at various price ranges, I went with the LXT600VP3 because it has a low power mode for short ranges (like 2 inches in my case), and it comes with rechargeable batteries. These are velcro'ed into my chest plate, with the speaker facing my body. With the ab plate on, it lifts the torso up high enough to prevent the walkie's speaker from being muffled by my chest. My ATA bucket is really cramped, but you could potentially shove the broadcasting walkie in there if you wanted the audio coming from your helmet.

Ā 

One of the walkies is plugged into a Midland Throat Mic, this is your broadcaster, keep the volume turned down/off. You could use a traditional mic, but a throat mic won't have any problems with feedback, or fan noise, and you're free to take your bucket on and off without wires getting in the way. The second walkie is your receiver, crank up the volume, and make sure both are set to the right channel. You can turn on VOX mode on the broadcasting walkie, or use push to talk (PTT) button that is built into the throat mic. The cord is a bit short but can reach your belt or anywhere on your torso or ab plate. PTT sounds a little better, as VOX can clip your first syllable, but being hands free is pretty damn convenient (just remember to switch off your walkie before complaining about the child you almost tripped over).

Ā 

My neck seal actually makes the mic sound better as it holds closer to my larynx, it's no more uncomfortable than normal.

Ā 

a3ju5Pr.jpg

RtS5lPg.jpg

• Like 1

Also, if you can convince your squad mates to go this route, you can use them as proper walkie talkies when you don't need to speak to the public.

Ā 

I should add that I haven't trooped with this setup yet, and will report back if there were unforeseen problems.

Hey Matt, could you take a video and upload it to youtube with what this sounds like when you're suited up and talking? Ā This is seeming like a great solution with minimal wiring and electronic fussing. Ā Two walkie talkies and a mic with one cable connecting.

Edited by maxsteele

so far the only issue I had is that if some outsiderĀ  is scanning channels the walkie beeps and may want to start a conversation. Or you my pick on conersations from people in the same channel.Ā 

Here's an audio sample, I recorded with my phone so I'm not sure how well you'll understand me. In person my partner has can hear and understand me fine though--------------

Ā 
TKedt, that's a good point. The particular walkie talkie's I'm using (and linked to) have privacy codes to prevent someone else coming into your channel.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working