what to do inside my new TM stunt helmet build

Hi. I've just finished my TM stunt helmet to go along with my TM armour build. At the moment I have built the insert as per the originals with the foam petal for padding and green gel for lenses. Heres how the inside looks at present

20140630_215321_1.jpg

My question is are there any specifications for Expert Infantry or Centurion regarding helmet interiors. I like the original look and I want to keep my helmet and armour build as accurate as possible. The only thing id really like to change about the inside is the lenses. At the moment they wrap around the inside of the helmet and are attached to the top ear bolt with my chin strap elastic attached to the same bolt over the top. This looks great on the outside and fits flush but I tend to catch the lenses with my head when I put the helmet on. I can forsee them getting eventually messed up with use during trooping so im thinking about alternatives. Perhaps some sort of padding that helps protect them?

I just wanted to throw it out there and see what you all prefered to do with your lids?

Looks great as it is to me.......

Thank you.  Yeah, I like how it looks.  Im just thinking about making it a little more robust around the lenses to help protect them from rubbing against my head as I put the helmet on?

Thanks guys. I kind of thought there were no specifications for stuff like that. I think I've just got a bit carried away recently with making everything as prop accurate as I can inside and out!! :)

I would love to hear what people like to do with their lenses though. Im thinking about cutting them down a bit more and putting some kind of padding around them to make things more comfortable and to protect the edges from rubbing against my head and face.

Edited by valo

I have a TM helmet and I got rid of the chin strap.  It got in the way while trooping, you know with the bucket on bucket off photos.  ;)  I also swapped out the green film lens and installed a dark green welders face shield.  I cut it to fit inside the helmet and cut a notch so it wouldn't cut the bridge of my nose.  It is really dark and no one can see my eyes.

I also don't use the star foam padding.  Whenever I would put the helmet on, the padding would shift and block my vision, so instead I purchased a set of adhesive backed helmet pads and installed those.  Now I have no problems with the helmet.  It fits great and is comfortable to wear.

Hope this helps.

Edited by TK6287

I have a TM helmet and I got rid of the chin strap.  It got in the way while trooping, you know with the bucket on bucket off photos.  ;)  I also swapped out the green film lens and installed a dark green welders face shield.  I cut it to fit inside the helmet and cut a notch so it wouldn't cut the bridge of my nose.  It is really dark and no one can see my eyes.

I also don't use the star foam padding.  Whenever I would put the helmet on, the padding would shift and block my vision, so instead I purchased a set of adhesive backed helmet pads and installed those.  Now I have no problems with the helmet.  It fits great and is comfortable to wear.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Brian.  That does indeed help :)

I have a TM helmet and I got rid of the chin strap.  It got in the way while trooping, you know with the bucket on bucket off photos.  ;)

What do you mean with bucket off photos? Does not compute. :P

Ive been dooing a bit of research into welding shields. I like the idea of using something like that for the lenses in my helmet. I found a few green welding glasses or goggles that look like they might do the job. Im thinking shade 3 will be sufficient? Shade 5 look like there would be less chance of seeing my eyes but I doubt ill be able to see out?

I also got rid of the chin strap.  I added Echo's fan kit and tacked with E6000 the star foam.  Im probably gonna ditch the star foam and go with the adhesive backed foam blocks i bought here.  I love my TM bucket, have fun with it.