Real World Items - Glasses, keys, wallet, etc.

I'm still a bit new at all this, so forgive some of the newb-ness of this question.

I wear glasses, I was wondering do the glasses fit under most buckets? I can mostly see without them, so it's not a huge problem if I were to have to troop without them on. Just don't ask me to read signs or tell any kind of detail. :)

Also, I was curious as to what do you do with things like your keys (either car keys or room keys at cons), wallets, cell phones, etc. Stormtroopers don't exactly have pockets. Do people use any kind of a wrangler or non-armor person to help out in this case? What kind of ideas have people put into there armor to account for things like this?

Also some of the under armor type pants have a pocket inside the waist band. The Dick's store brand does, but Under Armor does not.

I generally leave my cell in my bin, and depending if we have a secure changing area I leave more.

We always have "spotters" who are members out of costume. They act as eyes and ears for us as it can be very difficult to negotiate unfamiliar terrain at times, plus you can't always see the little kids or people trying to get your attention, whether they want to say hi or take a picture. They can also spot parts of your costume that either fall off or go out of place (can't tell you how many times I lost my thermal detonator before I finally riveted it :P )

I usually keep my belongings in the tub, as long as it is a secure area, or leave them in the car. Most events you really don't need anything. For cons I do the same, again you don't really need anything while you are in costume, but you can get a laynard with a small pouch to hang around your neck. If done right the chest plate will keep it hidden and you can keep a cell phone or key or some cash B)

As said before modding your drop boxes for your phone is great, ive do that myself. Im also working on building a pocket into the area of the upper backplate that is hollow on the inside (I dont konw how to explain it any better than that.)

As said before modding your drop boxes for your phone is great, ive do that myself. Im also working on building a pocket into the area of the upper backplate that is hollow on the inside (I dont konw how to explain it any better than that.)

Oooh! Do you have pics of the mod?

I modded my thermal detonator to put stuff in there. I can put my cell phone with the case in there and a money clip to hold my cards and cash.

Oooh! Do you have pics of the mod?

I'm going to assume you're talking about the pocket mod. Ill post a tutorial around 3 this afternoon. And ill be sure to post a link to it in this thread ^.^ Its a relatively simple process and is very inexpensive (as is everything else i have to do to my armor)

Murray1134 said:
Also, I was curious as to what do you do with things like your keys (either car keys or room keys at cons), wallets, cell phones, etc. Stormtroopers don't exactly have pockets. Do people use any kind of a wrangler or non-armor person to help out in this case? What kind of ideas have people put into there armor to account for things like this?

Here is a great example if what I use:

----------------

This goes around your neck, and holds your cash, room key, DL and CC stuff. Makes it easy to get to, and totally secure. You can even put your cell phone in here, assuming it is not from the 1990's and weights three pounds.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Scott M. said:
Here is a great example if what I use:

------------

This goes around your neck, and holds your cash, room key, DL and CC stuff. Makes it easy to get to, and totally secure. You can even put your cell phone in here, assuming it is not from the 1990's and weights three pounds.

Most Army surplus stores have items like this too. I think it's the way to go. My concern with the TD is that they're known to come off. This way there's no mod needed to the armor. I typically tend not to carry my cell phone and just leave it in my bin. In a perfect world, I'd have a slot for it inside my back plate and hook up a blue tooth headset, using one of John Danter's modified ears with a momentary switch to toggle it.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

In a perfect world, I'd have a slot for it inside my back plate and hook up a blue tooth headset

Wow i never thought of that. Since im putting a pouch in my backplate today ill take that idea into consideration if you dont mind. :lol:

I wear glasses with my FX oversized helmet without a problem. To make sure they stay on and don't slide down my nose, I put one of those lanyard-type straps (chubs?) on the ends of my glasses and slide it tight so it stays on. Problem with wearing glasses in any enclosed helmet is that they will fog up AND the lense to your bucket will fog up so it's key to have good ventilation (fans or open slots at the top back of your bucket).

For keys and stuff, I have a custom-made holster that has an enclosed bottom (it's made out of soft black buffalo leather so sometimes I just throw them in their or use my modified TD cannister to hold keys, money, cards (one end is held on by industrial strength velcro). Never had a problem.

Don G.

I'm going to assume you're talking about the pocket mod. Ill post a tutorial around 3 this afternoon. And ill be sure to post a link to it in this thread ^.^ Its a relatively simple process and is very inexpensive (as is everything else i have to do to my armor)

Actually, I'm curious to see the drop box mod. :)

for your glasses i would put fans in your helmet. that might help with the fogging. they will probably fit in the fx helmet but i dont know about some smaller ones like RT. there are allot of mods people do to carry stuff. ive seen people with thin cell phones but a back on their drop boxes so they can put it in there. i imagine you could put a wallet or $ in there too. you can put it in your holster. or like on daves garage on youtube and put elastic in your thermal detonator to keep it closed or open it for easy access. i hope this helped

F16WarBird said:
Actually, I'm curious to see the drop box mod. :)

This is what I did for my insulin pump:

Pumpmod.jpg.7d776a9968a25699b77efd894367f5f4.jpg

Now keep in mind this is for the FX drop box, but it works great. I just used 1" elastic, and created the "pocket" to slip it into. I go this idea from someone else using it for their phone, so you can use my idea in reverse to get back to where it came from originally (whew!!! :blink: )

I have heard of some people leaving the two piece drop box for the ANH styles of armor apart, snd then taking advantage of the clam shell set up, but I have nto seen it.

Hope this helps,

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Wow, I wasn't expecting that much of a response. Lots of great ideas. I'm going to see how much I can incorporate during the construction process.

The TD definately looks like the easiest way to go, but those box mods are great too.

I wear glasses and I have tried them with the FX, TE2 & AP helmets. They have fit within every one of them - the FX definitely has the most room and you have to be a little careful when doing the "canon" pivoting of the ANH-style helmets when putting them on & taking them off, but there is room to wear them.

As for where to store things the neck laynard is one of the best ideas. Also TK 8280's ANH holsters have a small pocket on their reverse, good for holding small things like a driver's liscence or some cash.

Here is a option for glasses under the bucket. Regular frames might be too restrictive, but in the military people use rubber frames which accept perscription lenses for wear under Gas masks and SCBA firefighting face masks.

--------------

Description/Features

NSN #: 6540-01-104-0304 (48mm) and NSN #: 6540-01-107-4509 (50mm)

Non-reflective, self-adjusting nylon frames

Accept prescription or sunglass lenses

Adjustable rubber headband

USA

Available in 48 mm or 50 mm

Black or Tan

since not everyone has access to perscription military eyewear, they are also sold at

Combat Eyewear

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I've had my TD fall off a couple of times and would not have noticed if it hadn't make such a racket when it hit the ground. Of course I didn't know it was my TD at the time. I like the travel pouch hanging around your neck for money, keys, etc. I wear contacts. I have very small glasses and find it very hard to fit them in my AP helmet. As far as fogging goes, TK9323 and I are working on mods for that problem. He found that you install some neoprene above the mouth and press your face into it, it prevents your breadth from reaching the lens. I have not been able to fit my helmet that tight so I tried installing a thicker foam above the mouth all the way across the mouth. It forces all of your breadth out of the mouth opening which really helps reduce fogging. I have not trooped with this yet so no final report on this mod. I can say from past experience, most of my fogging happens when I have to talk to people or breath thru my mouth. I think this will help a lot. I also added slots to the back of my helmet for venting, will update on that thread with pics when I'm finally done with the mod.