Tips for cutting screws.

deadvision

Hello there, ive recently finished my bucket and have encountered a slight problem. The long brass screws scrape against my head (painful) and don't allow me to put the helmet on. is there any way to cut the screws shorter? Is is even acceptable to do this? 

I've been told to cut the screws when they are inside the helmet with the nuts on the screws. Using a band saw or dremel doesn't work because they won't fit into the space.

If you cut the screws before they're attached with the nuts, the cutting can prevent the nuts from threading onto the screws after cutting.

I've had the suggestion of using a pair of diagonal pliers (dikes) and snipping the screws off short while they are attached to the helmet. I haven't done it yet, but that's currently the method I am going to use.

Hey bro, be careful cutting the screws when fitted to the helmet, especially with a rotary tool, they may heat up and melt the plastic. I would try and get the correct size, but if you have to cut them down mark the length required, screw a nut past the cut point, cut the bolt, tidy the burr/cut end and then unscrew the nut which will make putting the nut back on easier. 

Rob. 

Hey bro, be careful cutting the screws when fitted to the helmet, especially with a rotary tool, they may heat up and melt the plastic. I would try and get the correct size, but if you have to cut them down mark the length required, screw a nut past the cut point, cut the bolt, tidy the burr/cut end and then unscrew the nut which will make putting the nut back on easier. 

Rob. 

rob is very correct here. one of the best ways also to solve the situation is to simply purchase shorter length screws.  I actually cut the screws off manually

with a pair of nail cutters and I follow rob's advice by simply using pliars to remove the nut after cutting, to re-assemble the ears.

RS should know! they have been making quite a few suits these days!

If theres a way to get the screws out and measure how much ya need to cut then you shouldn't have a problem with a bench grinder or a bandsaw. Like Rob said, get rid of the bur before trying to reinstall them. This is of course assuming they are metal screws. It can be done, like I said, i do it all the time at work. I am a CNC machinist who's boss will only order one size of screws in bulk, and makes me cut them down if i need shorter ones lol. I usually cut mine to size using the bench grinder, but have done it with a bandsaw when I absolutely have to.

And yes, finding the right size is always recommended.

Or if you're too lazy to cut, I've seen some people use hot glue gun on the tips to round the ends do the screws. But doing that will make it difficult to remove the screw later. So maybe use a shorter screw; simplest way :)

Edited by evan_loh