ATA helmet size comparison

IronTusk

For those of you who either have, have had, have tried on, or just know, are ATA helmets smaller than other makers? I have an ATA and my head barely gets in it. I know they aren't supposed to be enormous but I don't have that big of a noggin and I have to put mine on very slowly and twist it just right. It folds the tops of my ears down and everything. From pics I've seen of others' helmets, the openings look a lot bigger than on mine. It'd be nice to have a little bigger helmet that isn't so tight. Any insight is appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have the same problem with my AP, I need to use the twist method too. But, I'm ok in it.

If you need something a bit bigger (4% bigger), you can always go for an RT-Mod.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

The ATA is approx 20% smaller due to improper handling and damage over time. You should always keep a clean master copy when producing things to avoid degredation. I believe the AP bucket is only 2-5% smaller. Please correct me if I am mistaken. The opening will vary with construction.

Thanks for the answers! I cut it as close as I could with the construction. I pretty much only had enough space to screw the face and cap pieces together so its not like I went crazy with the trimming.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think it

The ATA is approx 20% smaller due to improper handling and damage over time. You should always keep a clean master copy when producing things to avoid degredation. I believe the AP bucket is only 2-5% smaller. Please correct me if I am mistaken. The opening will vary with construction.

Er...I don't think this is right. 20% smaller? If so, you'd never get it on your head! :)

While the ATA may be fractionally smaller than say an TE2, you'll experience far more variation in how the pull was done and even more in how it's trimmed and assembled. I've had several ATA, TE2, MKT, and even put it side by side with an RT. In the end the smallest & largest were TE2's, simply in how they were assembled. I have two ATA's now, one is made pretty small and I can't put it over my glasses. The other was made by a different person, and I can easily get it on/off with glasses.

So, YMMV...

Paul,

It may not be 20%, but it is significantly smaller and I was guesstimating from doing different bucket builds. We really need a detailed comparison to the RS. I did a build not too long ago, of a more accurately sized bucket. I am not positive of the origin, I believe it was cast from TE. The face is soft due to the buck being rubber. Here are some shots next to an ABS ATA lid. The side shot is with my ATA(which still has the neck seal in place and thinner brow trim). When I finished assembly, I could almost pull it on and off like they did in ANH. Here are some shots I took, wish I had taken measurements

IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

IMG_2451.jpg

I've got the measurements from all the helmets out there, I'll have to dig up my notes.  But the ATA helemt is larger than the AP.  Also the 20% is way off, the FX is only 6% oversized.  If I remember correctly the ATA is about a quarter of a percent (.25%) smaller than a TE/TE2. 

As for how it fits, it's all in the build.  In the side by side above, the face do dome angle is different, and the gap from the top of the eyes to the prow trim is non-existent on the ATA where there is 3/8 of an inch of brow showing under the brow trim on the TE.  Also there is some lens distortion from the picture being taken too close to the helmets, take the same pic from 6 ft back and zooming and you will see what I'm talking about. 

Thanks Terrell. I guess I was way off, must not of been thinking clearly. I guess I am getting thrown off by photo distortion. I would love to know the different specs.

So the AP is actually smaller? I always thought it was the other way around.

I am going to compare my lid with an RS this weekend and take measurements. 

Here is a side by side of 2 ATA's, thought I shot from the same distance as the other photo

IMG_2470.jpg

So photo distortion is why this AP looks bigger?

IMG_2976.jpg

What is the % for the GF seen below? It is larger than the FX

c96233f3-753c-4379-99d4-e734950e94ad.png

Can you dig that info up when you get the chance, I want to make sure I properly inform people

Thanks for setting me straight!

Lens distortion just makes things look off, not necessarily bigger or smaller.  It is most obvious when photographing Vader.

Jesse (TK_Leper) did a great side by side thread with ATA and AP helmets.

• 4 years later...

I have an awesome AP bucket that unfortunately is wayyy to tight for my stupid shaped head. It’s probably fine for 90% of you, but not me.

I ordered an Anovos one that I saw online, and it is much roomier.

I still like the AP one better though, style and quality-wise... it’s just that my nug wasn’t having it.

I didn’t write down the measurements, but I did compare the two. The inside of the Anovos was over an inch wider between where your cheekbones would be. Really helped with putting it on, and with the general claustrophobia I was getting with the AP. Plus there was more room for the fans I got for the bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk