newbie starter questions

ever since I first saw ANH at 5 years old I thought stormtroopers were the coolest things ever and have always wanted a proper set of armor.  unfortunately I find most set prohibitively expensive. I have finally decided to start working on a set but don't know exactly where to start. are there any crafters that are willing to let me order things a bit at a time to spread the wallet hurt out a bit? and where can I get reasonably quality stuff on  a budget?

ever since I first saw ANH at 5 years old I thought stormtroopers were the coolest things ever and have always wanted a proper set of armor.  unfortunately I find most set prohibitively expensive. I have finally decided to start working on a set but don't know exactly where to start. are there any crafters that are willing to let me order things a bit at a time to spread the wallet hurt out a bit? and where can I get reasonably quality stuff on  a budget?

Here is where you want to start:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

I haven't done the math. I'm sure it will end up way more expensive in the long run, but you could always email/pm the manufacturers and see what the say. AP offer parts from time to time. See recent thread below

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/25759-ap-trooper-armor-authentic-replacement-parts/

If you consider the shipping costs of individual parts, since they have to be sent in pretty large boxes to fit, you will end up spending a ridiculous amount on shipping alone compared to buying the kit at once.

Yeah, the wait time for most makers should allow you time to save money for it before you get the email saying "yours is ready to ship". I waited almost 10 months for mine and purchased other items needed (neck seal, boots, belt, gloves, building supplies, etc) in the mean time. It's not $1000 right away but over time. It's well worth it though! 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat and I went with ATA ("affordable trooper armor"). Helmet DIY kits are affordable indeed and it's a 7 month wait list for armor. So it comes to about 2/3 of what others ask for armor after you buy the helmet now. It was the only way I could rationalize ever buying the aforementioned dream-come-true full costume :)

I agree with all the above comments,save your money, make your research carefully as different armour makers vary in size, some more suitable for larger builds and others better suited for smaller. Freight can be a game changer as well, depending on where you live on this wonderful planet. I live in Australia, so it's expensive to ship here from the UK, Canada and the US. Remember, just when you think you have all you need for your build, something else will pop up that you hadn't thought about, so plan as much as you can.

Good luck on your journey, it's loads of fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk