Your first troop...

Snaps

I will being doing my first troop June 21st...I'm excited while still a little nervous..I'm interested in hearing what your first time was like...

Montreal Comic Con last September. I was not 501st yet. My application was in progress. I knew the Squad Leader from previous events that I had needed the 501st, so I got in contact with him and got to troop with the 501st like if I was a member. The whole crew we're so nice to me and still are. I had a blast trooping. They even let me be in the official picture.

Memorable :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

OZ Comic Con 2013 was my first troop, I had been approved for 4 months and it was the first troop I could get too, really enjoyed how big the event was, blew my mind. See if you do the same newbie trick, find yourself smiling while you are having pictures taken, I realised after 10 minutes, nobody can see your smile LOL

OZ Comic Con 2013 was my first troop, I had been approved for 4 months and it was the first troop I could get too, really enjoyed how big the event was, blew my mind. See if you do the same newbie trick, find yourself smiling while you are having pictures taken, I realised after 10 minutes, nobody can see your smile LOL

I wondered if I would be smiling under the helmet too LOL. Figured I'd keep count. I'll let you know how many times I count....

Thanks for sharing everyone....keep the stories coming :salute:

I still smile lolll

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

My first was a Star Wars Reads day for some inner city children. I didn't have any thing to carry my gear in so I used the box that it was shipped in. It was so awkward. I knew nobody at the event, they were quite surprised when an unknown TK showed up. (It was a local non 501st costume club called JediOKC). I had no handler but there were enough people there to help. We dressed in a supply closet. When the kids showed up they were ok for about two minutes then they started getting confrontational. The girls were the worse, they would get right in my face and start asking questions like "what are you supposed to be" and then start poking my chest. After ten minutes the kids were done with us and we were supposed to be there for an hour. I was miserable and hoped that not all troops were like this one. Thankfully they were not. I've only had a few other experiences that were as bad or worse.

I learned a lot that day. First I realized that building a costume and wearing it around the house is one thing, actually trooping in it is another. Armor bites and immobility plus having no fans may me fog up so I could barely see. Just because it fits at home doesn't mean it fits when you go to wear it and move around. When I got home I had to make adjustment to my thighs (I have redone them three different times since then). I learned you are never done working on your armor.

The good news is that my second and third troops went much better, and now I am pretty much a veteran with over 60 events in 20 months.

When I first made the decision to build a TK, my wife thought I was crazy. When I took her to her first event, and she saw the way that people reacted, she said to me "Now I get it. I get why you are doing this." She goes to nearly every event as my handler and now all of my grandkids have Star Wars costumes as well.

One last thing, smiling inside your bucket is normal. But it also hides your tears.

I learned a lot that day. First I realized that building a costume and wearing it around the house is one thing, actually trooping in it is another. Armor bites and immobility plus having no fans may me fog up so I could barely see. Just because it fits at home doesn't mean it fits when you go to wear it and move around. When I got home I had to make adjustment to my thighs (I have redone them three different times since then). I learned you are never done working on your armor.

That's one of my many concerns. I'll be fully done with my build this week and I'm heading out to squire on the 21st. The vets in my garrison told me to bring my gear so we can do my submission shots while I'm there. I'm curious to see how everything either comes together or falls apart when I suit up away from home. :blink:

That's one of my many concerns. I'll be fully done with my build this week and I'm heading out to squire on the 21st. The vets in my garrison told me to bring my gear so we can do my submission shots while I'm there. I'm curious to see how everything either comes together or falls apart when I suit up away from home. :blink:

Luckily you have some vets to help you. I had absolutely zero help from my squad and the main garrison is too far away.

For the LOVE OF GOD get a fan kit!!! Don’t skimp on it either! Make or Buy a GOOD ONE!

My first troop was at a Cub Scout Space Derby...They were little snot nosed brats. Their parents just let them loose on us and they were trying to steal stuff off our Vader, stabbing us TK with toys, you name it. All around bad. We had to end it early due to their behavior. That being said it was my only "bad troop".

Since then I have done troops for cancer fundraisers, children's hospitals, etc. It is the most awesome feeling in the world to see the kids' faces light up when you come in or take pictures with them. When we see the "sick" kids (Cancer and all that very unfun stuff) I get teary eyed every time they brighten up once they see us. If you know me that says a lot as I have a huge problem showing outward emotion. IE I VERY rarely cry, look happy or sad etc. *shrugs*

Any who if you have come this far my advice is to just sit back and enjoy the ride so to speak.

I'm expecting the ones were kids aren't behaving and stuff to happen, but I expect the awesome ones to happen more. No way am I going to let any bad troop outings stop me! Also expect to need to make adjustments, I've seen a lot of people mention that in their build threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first troop was at our local Children's hospital visiting the sick kids (still one of my favorite troops) I was VERY nervous. I had just finished my Staff Officer costume, joined the Legion and went to CVI. It was a whirlwind. I was nervous meeting everyone for the first time and was unsure how the process worked but I was welcomed with open arms and I now consider my squad mates my closet friends in the world. I have made such great friends and had so many great experiences since joining the Legion. I am very proud to be a member and it is something I'm very passionate about. :smiley-sw013:

Did my first troop this morning for children's tumor foundation and what an awesome experience! Couple kids who were too much but that expected. But seeing smiles on peoples faces and kids faces is priceless. It's something I'll never forget....

Sounds like a great experience. I still have some work to do before I am ready for a troop but I am already looking forward to it.

Sounds like a great experience. I still have some work to do before I am ready for a troop but I am already looking forward to it.

All the work you do will be worth it on your first time out! Good luck! :jc_doublethumbup:

My first troop was the amazing Las Vegas Comic con two weeks ago. I am not totally official yet and just waiting on final approval. But I have been meeting with the local garrison and learning all the ropes. The Con was a blast. As soon as we hit the floor people swarmed us for pics. It was the most fun I have ever had at a con. My second troop will be marching in the 4th of July parade on Friday. I am super pumped. I watched 501st guys for years and finally jumped in and said lets do this. I can say it has been a real joy to live out some of my childhood dreams. The looks on kids' faces too makes it all worth it.

Matt

"When I first made the decision to build a TK, my wife thought I was crazy. When I took her to her first event, and she saw the way that people reacted, she said to me "Now I get it. I get why you are doing this." She goes to nearly every event as my handler".

My wife though I was a goof at first too. She watched as I spent months building Fett and getting ready for the con. A month out she decided she wanted to dress as Liea from ANH. We put together her costume and she rocked it. she LOVED dressing up and doing the troop with me. Having the love and support of a spouse can really add a ton of joy to this hobby. She even ordered a Star Wars shirt to wear as my handler. We even have our 4 year old into it and it has become a family affair.

My first troop was the amazing Las Vegas Comic con two weeks ago. I am not totally official yet and just waiting on final approval. But I have been meeting with the local garrison and learning all the ropes. The Con was a blast. As soon as we hit the floor people swarmed us for pics. It was the most fun I have ever had at a con. My second troop will be marching in the 4th of July parade on Friday. I am super pumped. I watched 501st guys for years and finally jumped in and said lets do this. I can say it has been a real joy to live out some of my childhood dreams. The looks on kids' faces too makes it all worth it.

Matt

Good luck with your final approval, sounds like you'll have no problems! My first troop was a blast as well. Like you said, seeing the smiles on peoples faces, especially the kids, was priceless. My first convention will be in September and I can't wait! Good luck in the parade, let me know how it goes...