Female tk armour

Hi all I've recently been working on a set of tk armour for women. It started off as a bit of a hybrid between the Gentle Giant Jes Gistang statue and my own take on what female stormtrooper might look like. Since then the project has slowly moved more toward a more tk look and less and less like a legacy era set of armour.

I started a build thread over on the RPF awhile ago and have had some really useful feedback but I have been encouraged to start a thread here. Now that I'm much closer to completion I thought I would start a thread here to see what people think.

Big thanks to Dday and Dionaly for their feedback to date. At this stage the suits at a 1st version/ prototype stage. There are a few bugs I want to work out in order to produce a suit that fits the female form, encourages height in the suit and it not overly bulky.

For those who like to see lots of progress pics head over to the rpf

http://www.therpf.com/f79/jes-gistang-inspired-female-stormtrooper-armour-206571/

Anyway without further ado here are the first pics of the prototype suits. We had a rubbish camera the first day and a good one the second :)

So the models heights were between 5'8 and 5'11, busts between 37" and 39" waists between 28.5 and 35" and hips between 38" and 41.5". I'm sure the suit can handle shorter/ taller, wider and thinner people. It's definitely a case of custom fitting and trimming.

ok NOW without further ado here's the pics:

DSCN0085_zps611922d1.jpg

DSCN0088_zpsd385eacb.jpg

DSCN0087_zpsb2e18038.jpg

DSCN0077_zpsc660affb.jpg

_IMG_6013_zpsdd91d889.jpg

_IMG_5957_zps0cd339d0.jpg

DSCF0867_zpsb6e884ae.jpg

DSCF0861_zps5c79ebbe.jpg

DSCF0860_zpsd298a240.jpg

DSCF0855_zps0e016512.jpg

DSCF0850_zps2ce3760a.jpg

DSCF0843_zps322ddecc.jpg

DSCF0833_zpsb37aca4e.jpg

DSCF0821_zps5b463434.jpg

The dlt everyone was holding was a piece of junk I made in a day. It photographs well but it's pretty rough. The helmet that was used is my own sculpt. It didn't look too oversized but I think a slightly smaller helmet is going to work better

The changes I am planning on making are:

Raise the height of the thigh pieces a bit

change the ab detail to a tk look

put a bit of curvature in the backplate and improve the cog

look at adding a small codpiece bit to the groin plate

possibly change the butt plate to work better with the thigh pieces

I'd love to hear any other feedback if anyone has any. Fire away I can cope with C & C :)

After I've got the armour working I'm going to start work on the helmet form.

Cheers

oota

• Like 2

oh yeah I forgot to mention that everyone is wearing the same rough trimmed suit. I basically used ALOT of duct tape and overlapping to make everything fit. Obviously a finished suit would be trimmed and cover strips used

That's interesting from a cosplay perspective. But it'll never be 501st approved. I bet you had a lot of fun making it anyway. :)

Hey Locitus yeah it's been a fun project so far! I'm not to worried about approval with this suit the main thing I AM worried about is tackling the helmet I think it will a bit of a challenge to get a suitably proportioned tk looking helmet :)

Edited by Oota goota

Well hellooooo ladies!  :salute:   

Armor looks good!  I'd love to run into these troopers at a Con!

ha ha thanks Raintrooper. I'm hoping to have a couple of troopers wearing these at our next convention. Hopefully there'll be lots of salutes :)

Thanks for sharing! Always cool to see what people are doing and obviously the ladies :-)

Cheers Slangen I was really happy the way the armour fit everyone, especially given that it's all rough trimmed. More pics soonish!

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

:jc_doublethumbup:   So happy to see the female geekdom explode.  So much more cool stuff for women now!  My wife can not only be involved, but WANTS to be involved.  So much fun for the future.

Yeah that's cool. My wife is not big SW fan or costumer but really enjoyed wearing the prototype suit I made, it was a lot of fun :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey all haven't been back to this thread for a while. Anyway a mate of mine recently bought a gloss black version of the suit and pretty much finished it this weekend. She did a really nice job on the armour

Looking food!

I really like this design! Most of the classic TK details there, just stylized to be more feminine!

Looking food!

I really like this design! Most of the classic TK details there, just stylized to be more feminine!

Cheers dday! It sits really well on her I reckon, looks pretty natural. I'm about halfway through the helmet form I will EVENTUALLY finish this :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The armor definitely looks good. I like how it appears functional and doesn't go for the tired trope of trying to over-sexualize female armor.

The only thing I see an issue with, from a functionality standpoint, is the boots, which are just asking for a twisted ankle if you ever had to engage Rebel scum in a firefight.

The armor definitely looks good. I like how it appears functional and doesn't go for the tired trope of trying to over-sexualize female armor.

The only thing I see an issue with, from a functionality standpoint, is the boots, which are just asking for a twisted ankle if you ever had to engage Rebel scum in a firefight.

yeah it's a tricky one. The boots add a lot of height which helps elongate the figure but yeah if you were running around shooting at rebels you'd probably want something flatter! :)