Protect yourselves during the upcoming hot weather!

In the field is where we do our work. It is also where are subjected to the elements of summer weather. I know that many of you troopers have installed fans in your buckets. However during extreme heat, this might not be enough. 

It may seem like a simple thing to do but many take it for granted and that's HYDRATION!! I am not talking about slamming 4 bottles of water right before you suit up. I am talking about planning ahead by watching the weather. If you see that the day of your troop is going to be hot, start your hydration the day before!!! You should drink enough water per hour (8-16 ounces) until you are in the bathroom frequently. This is gross, but watch your urine output. It should be perfectly clear but the frequency is most important. When you go a lot, you are on the right track. Your body will continue to absorb water down to a CELLULAR LEVEL. Once you are fully hydrated, have one or two drinks spaced out prior to your troop. You will sweat like a hog. but his is the body's natural cooling system at work, The body has an amazing feature of regulating it's internal temperature. However, if you do not provide the means of allowing your body to sweat, that's when heat stroke can occur. Hydration means mostly water...plain water. DO NOT DRINK POP OR SODA. These are LOADED with sugars and salts that are designed to make you more thirsty so you buy more. Even most sports drinks are questionable. Stick with water. It is a fluid that our bodies are designed to deal with. 

Serve you Empire safely! We need our soldiers healthy! Plus if you fall down you will scratch the heck out of your armor!!!!!!

+1

Well said, Steve. As noted, Hydration is not something you can do "before you go out there" it is a process.

Good post, brother!

Worst troop I've done for heat was 37.5C on a road for a festival, first time we have had to rip off our buckets halfway through for fluids

Every year our 4th of July parade is known as the Bartlett death march for good reason

See Steve, most people won't get that, because they don't know anything about Bartlett. LoL ;)

If you are on a long haul, look for electrolyte packets to put in your water, but don't overdo it.. I work on an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico and prior to my cushy job on the bridge I worked 12 hour shifts on deck, even then on the hottest summer days ( the ones where you had to change clothes 3 times due to sweat drenching them) , i might use one electrolyte pack later in the afternoon.. If you don't have those, a small bottle of gatorade in conjunction with a whole lot of water .

If you have squires they should be ready to help out troopers that might be getting into trouble. I carry extra water bottles in a back pack for the just in case.  Keep an eye out on the people around you, just because your ready doen't mean they are.

No one gets left behind

I run a lot and if I know I'll have a hot weekend run, I make sure I'm drinking a lot of water a few days before the race. The morning of the race, before it starts, I'll lay off the water in order to limit bathroom breaks at the beginning. During the run I usually drink about 2-4 oz. of water every two miles and I try to keep it to water only because it reduces the chance of nausea, and is absorbed quicker than sports drinks. In order to make sure I don’t cramp up I take salt tablets to help replace the electrolytes lost while running because they seem to work better on my stomach than sports drinks.

Trooping is obviously different than running but I would think some of the same principles of hydration could apply. Once I get my armor complete I hope to be able to test that theory J