Death Trooper W.I.P. (ATA)

If you've seen my Magma Trooper build thread, you've probably seen how much of a hard time I was having. Not learning from my repeated mistakes, I have a whole bunch of cracked parts. I don't have unlimited money for replacement parts, especially after tackling a Mandalorian project, so I figure the only way for me to get anything out of my Magma armor was to convert it to a DT. I have most of the tools already -- paint, dirt, a dremel, pre-damaged parts, etc. I just need to pick up a cheap skull mask, some fake flesh, maybe some bones  :)

I'm building a collection of images of the GG statue. I plan to replicate every detail from that as I can. I hate that I can't give the NEG its first Magma Trooper, but it is what it is.

IMG_1087_zpsbb587c21.jpg

My armor before the DT idea came up (pic taken a couple weeks ago)

10401807_1482440101989422_1034825920_n.j

The CAP helmet in this picture won't be used on this build. I'm instead going to hack up my old EFX and keep the red CAP as a display piece

First coats of white paint laid down (there's no going back now!!)

10448930_708518232547256_1922196019_n.jp

Hoping to get this, and my DW Supercommando close to done by the time school starts back up in September.

• Like 1

This is gona be sick!!  I was wanting to do something like this after my first build or two.

Why dont you try asking around to see if anyone has broken parts they are willing to give you.  Good luck, ill be following.

Hey man, thanks! I discovered I had a liking for replicating details with my current Mando project, so I'm confident this trooper's going to be a fun build. What you suggested sounds like a good idea, but it's likely I won't need to go that route. I have all the parts I need already and I don't mind hacking up the few good ones  :)  

Edited by Tovall Kyr'tsad

It looks sick to me. (In a good way)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! So I bought the eyes, and I'm now looking for a mask that more closely resembles the GG statue. I just have another question - what should I use to dye my red canvas belt? (don't say buy a new one, coz I won't.)

You were so close too!

The decision was painful yet necessary. I think in the end if I capture the look of the statue, I won't have any regrets.

You could easily sew a new belt.

I dont think colouring the red one will work in any way. Red have a tendency to shine through white quite a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen his build. He happens to be in my garrison  ;)

The first cuts have been made. The chest plate will be weathered tonight or tomorrow with sandpaper and acrylic paints. Plastic "for sale" sign pieces are going to be glued behind the holes in the lower right side of the plate and weathered.

10520211_512665522167303_2136608463_n.jp

Aww man its looking SICK!

Are you gona completeley close out the claw holes  or are you going to layer them?   

(one layer) that way your undershirt can be the black background after weathered and blood detail.

This is not me BTW lol

layer example

paper-artist-in-context.jpg

Keeping it up.

Between working and playing video games, I made a little progress.

le shoulder bells

100_3510.jpg

100_3511.jpg

All of the cracks were made by the dremel's cutting wheel, then painted black to emulate the Gentle Giant statue's appearance.

le backplate

100_3509.jpg

For now, the pen marks on the back plate represent where I plan to use the Dremel's cutting wheel. The only reason I haven't cut these out yet is because I got home late from work tonight and I didn't wanna wake anyone up  :laugh1:
I'm not too pleased with the weathering job so I might come back to that after I hack it up.

And one shot of all my progress made so far

deathtrooperupperbody.jpg

I've been looking at a ton of tutorials on how to make prosthetics. I probably am going to apply some directly to the parts of my face that will be exposed - a full mask would probably hinder visibility in the helmet.

And funnily enough, the closest thing I have to light yellow acrylic is golden brown. I've been doing very light washes with that (and a little olive green in some places) - but as you probably noticed, it doesn't look true to the statue. I will be getting the correct acrylic paint soon.

For now, here's a pic of some thighs and the plastic belt. I thought the legs on the GG statue didn't look good enough so I did something different. I used athletic tape for the bandages - I'll be super gluing that to the armor soon.

100_3516.jpg

Thanks gents - but there's much much more to be done  ;)

I got this helmet in the mail today...

10513712_1468540760051056_676147641_n.jp

It was a steal for how much I paid for it. The seller told me it had some imperfections - which it does have, but you wouldn't even notice them unless they were pointed out. I almost don't want to butcher it, but of course I'm going to  :lightemperor:

Made some progress on the helmet today.

10488705_661163750636616_694361809_n.jpg

Still need to give it that rotten look. Gotta paint those ear covers and add tubestripes too.

I think I'm just going to settle for a skull mask to wear under the helmet, rather than trying to fuss with makeup. I'll paint it up to look like the zombie face on the GG bust. I also got my plastic eyeballs in the mail a few days ago, so I'll be inserting one into the skull's exposed eye socket.