How I did my boots :) TKBoots alternative.

I know that TKBoots are the thing to get, but often with a wait list i wanted to go a different route, and also paint the black boots white how the costume people of starwars did!

To start i ordered a pair of Black Amsterdams off Amazon.com. They are on the Accepted list.

8TXcop6.jpg

Next i took acetone, an old shirt and rubbed the polish off the boot for a good couple hours :/ (to expose the leather, paint attaches better)

0fcc7Ge.jpg

resulting in this... also i tapped the sole of the show with painters tape. It stuck really well this time..

NcCVfqs.jpg

From a local show shop, i obtained this. :)

2ptSFlI.jpg

first layer..

aU72l8A.jpg

Third layer

NW7Mgg5.jpg

I also took fabric paint from micheals to paint the side elastic. (not shown)

But after removing the tape this is how they look! Boom

no cracks when walking because of the polish being removed.. they are wonderful.

JjcpW5N.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This thread needs some more love. I did this exact method and I think they turned out great! And cheap compared to other sources. I actually have a pair of TKBoots (from francois), and they're great, but I needed a set for my TD. I still need 1-2 more coats of the white on the fabric (and some cleanup around the fabric where I painted too much on the leather), but I think these turned out awesome for the price. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great thread.  Definitely could be a cheaper option for sure with a little work.

My questions 

1. How has this held up since you've had it?  Any repairs that you have had to perform?

2. I've looked, but didn't find Amsterdam boots on the CRL.  Where does it say they are approved?

3. How comfortable are these during a longer troop?

Thanks for all the help!

netslave they look great!!

Lovemonkey, honestly i have had NO issues still with my boots. No flaking even. a solid method still! :) someone told me they were approved. :P they looked the part. :)  they are very comfortable, seeing as they were 80 bucks you get the comfort in what you pay for! :) i still put little squishies in mine for that added layer of cloud :) sorry for getting back to you so late, and thanks for the love on the thread! hope more people see it!!

over a year and they are still as they are pictured in the first post, well a little more scuffed, but thats normal!

Edited by Stormy1992

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a great thread.  Definitely could be a cheaper option for sure with a little work.

My questions 

1. ...

2. I've looked, but didn't find Amsterdam boots on the CRL.  Where does it say they are approved?

3. ...

Thanks for all the help!

I just came across this thread the day after my Amsterdam boots arrived.  I also have the Nu-Life white paint that I will be using, just like Kyle described.  I am thrilled to hear the painted boots are holding up so well.

To answer Kirk's question, I had heard it somewhere also that the Amsterdam boots were acceptable.  I just stumbled across the thread that includes them in the list of acceptable boots.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/24742-trooper-boots-a-list-of-suitable-candidates/

• 2 years later...
On 8/13/2015 at 12:32 AM, SeanTX said:

Got a year later picture ? :)

4 years later they are still alive and well! Held up! 

Note: haven't been on here in a long time!

On 9/23/2015 at 1:40 PM, wingnut65 said:

I just came across this thread the day after my Amsterdam boots arrived.  I also have the Nu-Life white paint that I will be using, just like Kyle described.  I am thrilled to hear the painted boots are holding up so well.

To answer Kirk's question, I had heard it somewhere also that the Amsterdam boots were acceptable.  I just stumbled across the thread that includes them in the list of acceptable boots.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/24742-trooper-boots-a-list-of-suitable-candidates/

Yes! And they still are so much later! I did receive centurion status with them as well!

Mine got a real nasty mold underneath the sealant
Sounds like they weren't completely dry. Though strange things happen.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
12 hours ago, Von Goodleef said:

Did you just use fabric paint?

The fabric paint was just for the elastic on the sides.  If you are using regular black/brown etc. colored Chelsea style boots I would recommend stripping off the shiny finish with a leather deglazer/preparer first before applying the leather dye.  Otherwise, you may have cracking/peeling issues.