A Slightly Disheveled Medium and a Pristine Big Brown Box Arrived Today - Dark's RT-Mod ANH Hero (and Stunt) Build Thread

Thanks guys.

Scott, I look forward to joining you in both the Centurion ranks, and the Star Garrison (NTX Squad) within the next few months!

Evan... Upon further review, I'll be submitting for EIB shortly after approval. I need to upgrade for Centurion though.

Thanks guys.

Scott, I look forward to joining you in both the Centurion ranks, and the Star Garrison (NTX Squad) within the next few months!

Evan... Upon further review, I'll be submitting for EIB shortly after approval. I need to upgrade for Centurion though.

Excellent! Let me know if I can be of help with acquiring Centurion Status.

Thanks, Scott! I'm fairly certain that it is just the helmet decals (paint instead) and S-Trim that I need to change out, but if anything else does come up that I'm unfamiliar with, I'll reach out to you.

Tonight, I'm going to post up a few pictures showing my electronics installation. Nothing too intense, or complex here folks, just some Velcro and creativity. LoL

10521055_795507890471150_267906189707116

Here is my fan kit, ready to install. It is from www.actionfans.net

10397288_795508023804470_293806255062485

Fuzzy Velcro being cut to match the necessary width to accommodate the fan and the battery/switch box.

10479887_795508033804469_274114999528794

Velcro stuck inside the helmet, fan components stuck to the Velcro. The fan has a rubber tube that is running up the center of the bucket to move air to the lens area. It worked pretty well early on during my first troop. As the night went on, and it got a little more humid, I realized that it was struggling to keep up with the humidity. The website offers an extension "Y" kit which I will be ordering in order to move the tubing closer to the lenses. In the current configuration, it is just not close enough to stay effective in high humidity levels.

10496095_795508080471131_502491504909228

I debated for a little while exactly how I was going to install the Rom/FX sound board/amp system. Ultimately, I opted to install only the mic in the helmet, and mount the other components in the chest plate. Here, I have the mic taped in place, to mark the location to install some Velcro.

10443128_795508127137793_880364699972965

Velcro in place to hold the microphone in place in the helmet. I'll run the wire down the neck seal to the board which will be mounted in the chest plate.

10492944_795508143804458_741735231849259

Microphone in place on the Velcro, inside of the helmet.

10560506_795508173804455_606740397538256

Sound/control board, battery, and speaker (facing out, away from my chest) in place on their own bits of Velcro. This setup works just fine. But I did have to take the Rom/FX and lower nearly all of the settings in order to get it to function properly. I had it set with a bit too much distortion, and I could not be understood. It would break squelch too soon many times. After some trial and error outside the bucket, I feel that I've got it set to a good group of levels that make it easier to understand me when I talk, and that way, its more fun for everyone.

Thanks for checking it out, feel free to ask questions/leave comments/etc...

Thank you Damon, Sean, and Tim! It is truly an awesome feeling to see your name on the main page of the 501st Legion website as a new recruit!

Of course, as soon as that happened, I immediately started thinking of exactly what I still have to do in order to do my EIB submission. :D

Tim, I'm sure that you won't be too far behind me! ;)

Edited by Dark CMF

Congrat's, Have you tried the fan without the tubing.  I had the same issue with the romfx, lower settings helped.  I think the romfx is better for low noise events.  I use the aker amp for times when I need higher volume.

Thanks, Evan! Happy to join you - and working to join you in the Centurion ranks as well!

Congrat's, Have you tried the fan without the tubing.  I had the same issue with the romfx, lower settings helped.  I think the romfx is better for low noise events.  I use the aker amp for times when I need higher volume.

Thanks, Nick. I did use it at a very humid baseball game without the tubing. Early on in the evening it did a fine job, but as the night went on it got more humid, and we wound up moving from AC to outdoors environments quite a bit which caused it to have to fight harder to keep the fogging down. I think that the tube extension(s) will probably help it keep up.

I have not worn my armor since that game, but the RomFX definitely is working better with the new settings when I put on the helmet and run around talking with it.

Edited by Dark CMF

Tim!

You did a fabulous job! Hats off to you, your patience, skills and astonishing attention to detail!

And trooper of the month, so well deserved.

The warmest congratulations to you, and looking forward to your EIB and CEN applications. ;)

• Like 1

Thank you, everyone.  :D 

I recently received the final piece that I need to build my "Hero Belt Box" (I think) and have been able to get my printer running again so I should be able to get a few final tweaks that I want to make done, and submit my EIB soon.  Outside of that, I've got to get that pesky S-Trim, and become unafraid to put paint on my bucket(s) so that I can ultimately submit for Centurion.  :D

More to follow!