DJ138

New n00b from Oakland California

Hey all - 

My name is Marco (aka DJ138) and as noted in the title, I hail from the wilds of Oakland California. And I really do mean the wilds...I live in East Oakland, on a hill overlooking all of that gnarly crime you hear about in the news. I literally just got my 501st approved armor set today, and I'm excited to start my foray into costuming! 

I'm sure I'll wind up having a million questions for you veterans - looking at all this armor and the accessories, I definitely have my work cut out for me. Thankfully the suit itself has pretty much been cut out and the main parts have more or less been assembled, but I have to figure out all the snaps and straps and attachy bits and pieces so I can actually wear the suit correctly. 

If there's any other folks from the Oakland/SF/Bay Area around that might be able to help me out, or meet up or what have you, that'd be super rad-tastic. 

Cheers all! 

Marco

• Like 1

Welcome to the FISD...you'll see everyone is willing to help and give advice with your journey to the dark side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greetings Marco, and welcome to the FISD!!!

Which armor kit did you get???

Welcome, Marco! A man with the name of the original fan made armor!,

I'm not quite trooping yet. I'm mostly done with my suit, but need to rig up the straps and snaps, and mount my lenses and mouth mesh in my bucket. I've been trying to find some local Oakland/Bay Area folks to lend advice/assistance, but thus far haven't had any luck. Tutorials are ok, but I do much better with "monkey see, monkey do". 

G'day Marco, welcome to the house of fun, looking forward to seeing some shots of your armour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you can see the "real thing" it is clearly easier, but don't hesitate to do some tests if your problem is just the strapping.  If you make some mistakes it will not be something visible.  I'm currently testing the strapping / snapping on an armor I'm making for my son, it's not very difficult once you try.

Well, I've run into a plethora of other issue with this suit. Note to those reading - NEVER buy your suit second hand, especially if someone has already trimmed/put together a lot of the pieces. I am having to go back and fix most of the fit and finish, and make a ton of adjustments. Turns out now, straps are the least of my worries. I need to side shim the kidney/ab plates, trying to mount the knee ammo and knee guard pieces, etc.  And the guy who had the suit before me really butchered the eye sockets on the bucket. I tried flat lenses, but due to bad beveling, rough trim - they just snapped. I think the bubble lenses will wind up working better for me, but it's yet another purchase I wasn't anticipating. 

Oh well - lessons learned! I'm going to keep working on this suit, knowing it won't really be fully up to 501st snuff, but it'll give me practice so I can purchase a raw suit and do everything from scratch. 

Hey Marco- 

If the kit is giving you a lot of trouble, how about starting a separate thread on the topic and showing us some pictures?  Oh, and welcome, of course. :)  Looking forward to getting that suit straightened out.

Hey Marco- 

If the kit is giving you a lot of trouble, how about starting a separate thread on the topic and showing us some pictures?  Oh, and welcome, of course. :)  Looking forward to getting that suit straightened out.

Yea, I am planning that actually...I just needed a few days to stop being frustrated about the situation and then need to organize a plan for documenting the process/problems. 

Hi Marco,

There is a local garrison that you should join if you haven't already. We are a friendly bunch and sometimes we do host a local to the Bay Area build party.

Give us a look see at www.goldengategarrison.com

Otherwise, we could try to look at our schedules as we don't live that far apart.

Yes starting a new thread with pictures of what you are running into would net you a lot more answers.

Welcome to the FISD Marco, my bay area fellow com-padre. 

Edited by ukswrath