Can FX armor components still be 501st approved?

You can get in, but like Gazmosis said, im pretty sure it only gets you basic approval at this point in time. If you want to go to EIB or Centurion, you would need something more accurate, but not necessarily more expensive.

• 2 months later...

I'll just tack on to this thread. I have a FX kit. It was more or less given to me so I want to make it work. I would like to get some info on if this armor can be put together using the butt joint/cover strip method? I thought I saw a post somewhere saying that it could be done. Anyone out there ever do it?

I still use FX, since I can't justify my need for new armor to Darth Wife. It can indeed be worked for L2 approval, but depending on your size, the butt joint/cover strip method isn't feasible without trimming.

There are easier kits to build with greater accuracy out of the box so to speak. That said, Someone here even worked a Rubies kit into EIB. FX can certainly be modified with butt-joining, reshaping the chest, etc. it really depends on how much of a challenge you are up for. If that is the option you can afford, or if you already have a kit, it can be done.

I am putting the finishing touches to my FX armor right now. I got it 2nd hand from a guy who had velcroed and overlapped it. I have been redoing it with butt join and cover strip.

It has been some work but it hasn't really felt that bad. But since I haven't done any other kit I really can't compare. In my own humble opinion I think it is looking very good on me. But we will see what they say when I submit.

The tutorial by Daetrin here has been quite useful.

-----------

I have also looked a lot at various EIB submissions for FX armors.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

There is nothing Wrong with using FX armor. Most of the Fans and almost all the kids you will encounter won't even begin to have any clue what "brand' of armor you are wearing, all they will see is a Stormtrooper if its put together properly.

Well, it's more correct to say kids won't notice the brand so much as the quality and accuracy of the build. A pimped out FX suit will look better than a crappily assembled TM suit, no?

Kids can spot details really well. They for instance certainly notice OOTB (out of the box) FX vs. an EI FX.

On 8/6/2014 at 9:04 PM, Coil said:

I am putting the finishing touches to my FX armor right now. I got it 2nd hand from a guy who had velcroed and overlapped it. I have been redoing it with butt join and cover strip.

It has been some work but it hasn't really felt that bad. But since I haven't done any other kit I really can't compare. In my own humble opinion I think it is looking very good on me. But we will see what they say when I submit.

The tutorial by Daetrin here has been quite useful.

------------

I have also looked a lot at various EIB submissions for FX armors.

Yes...I already have the kit and I've seen the EIB level tutorial, so I'll making those mods at bare minimum. I'm probably going the TD route with this as well, so the ab buttons won't even factor in.  I'd be interested in seeing any WIP pics you may have, or maybe just some detail shots on your completed kit. I'm shopping for snaps/strapping/etc. I was in the Legion back in 2002ish and put together a FX kit back then with Velcro only and as you can imagine, it didn't work very well. 

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Yes...I already have the kit and I've seen the EIB level tutorial, so I'll making those mods at bare minimum. I'm probably going the TD route with this as well, so the ab buttons won't even factor in.  I'd be interested in seeing any WIP pics you may have, or maybe just some detail shots on your completed kit. I'm shopping for snaps/strapping/etc. I was in the Legion back in 2002ish and put together a FX kit back then with Velcro only and as you can imagine, it didn't work very well. 

I got so caught up in the build so i haven't taken as many in progress shots as I had planned to. :) I will post pics of my finished build soon to get tips on fitting before I cut the elastics between the shoulder-arm and leg pieces.

Darth Aloha, it seems I have been a bit too ambitious then since I will moste likely only go for EIB at the most. I will of course have to get a new helmet for that though. But I hope that my ambitious level on the rest of the pieces can impress enough to overlook my FX helmet.

Edited by Coil