Another boot thread, but with SPRAY paint!

Usaeatt2 mentioned it in another thread about using Vinyl Spray, so I thought why not. Surely it will work.....

So, the boots - El Cheapo horse riding boots. Rubber based sole and top, but they had the right stitching and were only AUD$49.95, so well worth the 'experiment'.

P1020053_zps058e2b30.jpg

P1020051_zpsc2eb7ca0.jpg

Bit of a clean with:

P1020054_zpse82583dc.jpg

And the can of choice:

P1020056_zps39cbdcba.jpg

One Coat

P1020057_zps392c2cf4.jpg

Two coats

P1020058_zpsdb3c21ac.jpg

Three:

P1020062_zps04e56395.jpg

So at this point, all appears to be going well. It seems to be sticking, seems to be flexible, so I thought I'd give my latex hand guards a coat too The ones I bought were off white so needed to be painted.

One coat

P1020061_zpsaf2d16d2.jpg

Three coats

P1020060_zpsddd9089e.jpg

Flexibility test. Aaaaargggghhhh!!!!!

P1020066_zps1a20f3eb.jpg

Back to the drawingboard! Will look into the recommended fabric paintsfor them. It appears still to be ok on the boots, so I'll keep going with them. Must be something to do with the latex compared to rubber. Dunno...

NICE!! <rubbing hands together briskly and smiling> You're using the exact same Duplicolor spray dye I used on the Cadillac seats and those are still going strong!  Interesting reaction with the handguards - Latex or rubber is a completely different category...I don't think the dye is able to soak in since it's not a "fabric" so the dye just dries on the surface.  Nice job with light coats on the boots.  I think these are going to turn out great!

Edited by usaeatt2

NICE!! <rubbing hands together briskly and smiling> You're using the exact same Duplicolor spray dye I used on the Cadillac seats and those are still going strong!  Interesting reaction with the handguards - Latex or rubber is a completely different category...I don't think the dye is able to soak in since it's not a "fabric" so the dye just dries on the surface.  Nice job with light coats on the boots.  I think these are going to turn out great!

The boots are also rubber based, which is why I still consider this an experiment. But the flexibility tests are holding up so far. Another couple of coasts to go I think.

Looking good! I'll admit I laughed when I saw the flexibility test on the handplates. Otherwise the boots are looking good! Can't wait to see them finished.

Haha, yeah. I didn't quite laugh, but close. I did exaggerate the photo a bit by peeling some off, just to hightlight the result.

Silicone based hand guards can not be painted. Only latex ones

I thought they were latex. They are the Trooperbay ones. I've got my eye on a set of your white rubber ones if these ones don't work. Vinyl paint isn't sticking to the elastic on the boots so I need new paint for that. I'll try that same paint on the guards too. If not, PM incoming :)

I thought they were latex. They are the Trooperbay ones. 

I think Mike offers both versions. You can easily spot latex hand guards for their amber/honey color, which needs to be painted.

All other (white) versions are mostly silicone based.

IIRC, you have to paint the elastic on the boots several times, as it literally soakes up the paint.  

Edited by Sonnenschein

• 4 weeks later...

Found some more time (damn life getting in the way) to make some more progress here. A few more coats on the boots, then sourced some flexible fabric paint for the elastic sides:

P1020097_zpsa8a75921.jpg

One coat

P1020098_zpscbfd1a03.jpg

Two coats

P1020101_zps1fbcb9d9.jpg

Three

P1020108_zps085ed7df.jpg

Touch up paint around the sole where I had sme overspray, and done!

P1020109_zps7bdc36e3.jpg

P1020110_zps62d27ac6.jpg

I also used the same flexible paint on the hand guards. So far, so good. Nice and flexible.

P1020111_zpsb17c0d1d.jpg

So, you just used the Dupli-Color paint on the boots? No primer? I tried this on a pair last week, not sure if I didn't clean them good enough, and my alcohol was 50% , so the paint did crack a bit. I kinda expected that, and I used the boots on my DT , so they look killer weathered and cracked. Thank you for sharing. I plan on trying another pair, and will try to make sure to use proper supplies and clean thoroughly .

Great job.

So, you just used the Dupli-Color paint on the boots? No primer? I tried this on a pair last week, not sure if I didn't clean them good enough, and my alcohol was 50% , so the paint did crack a bit. I kinda expected that, and I used the boots on my DT , so they look killer weathered and cracked. Thank you for sharing. I plan on trying another pair, and will try to make sure to use proper supplies and clean thoroughly .

Great job.

Yeah, straight on, no primer. The cleaner is 100% Isopropanol, and my boots are rubber, not leather or other materials, so not sure if that will make a difference. I haven't had them rubbing up against the shin armor yet, but have bent them back and forth and so far so good.