ESB Build WIP (OGA)

Good morning all,

My first TK build (still can't wipe the grin off of my face when I say that)!

A little bit about the armour first. OGA (Oota Goota Armour) is an original fan sculpt made here in New Zealand, by a guy with the forum screen name Oota Goota. It is a reasonably new version, with less than 30 suits (so far). Anyone that would like to see the process involved in making the moulds etc have a look here (it is a long thread and does wander off on tangets occasionally frequently). Oota has also made a helmet to go with his armour. As if that wasn't enough, he has started working on a set of female stormtrooper armour.

I have put all the links here as to the best of my knowledge, this will be the first OGA build thread on the FISD forums, though a few have been approved 501st, and I thought it might answer a lot of the questions that I am not qualified to answer.

About me!

Name: Sam

Screen name: Shaved Wookie (long story involving good friend & a bottle of wine)

Height: 194cm 6'4â€

Weight: 120kg 264lb (and trending down), target for armour fitting 110kg

Basically: big guy.

Unlike many of the builds around here mine will be done with no rational order. Before I started I seriously doubted that I would have the skills to make my armour. Thankfully I got to meet Oota, and he is awesome! He offered to provide me a small sample to test myself on, before I committed (or not) to the whole suit. This gave me the option of backing out if I ballsed it up, without a huge outlay of $$.

Feeling a little more confident, I started with one arm; shoulder, bicep & forearm. Some very tentative cutting soon led into a wild abandon of dremeling, trimming & sanding (only wounding myself twice – so far).

If you've read this far you probably deserve pictures!

The first parts (one arm & one greave – cos it fit in the space allowed)

bd0a2f17-9679-4341-ba05-2c4a900bca0e_zps

I didn't realise how much of a mess a rotary cutting tool would make, but I'm learning, also had one spinning disk thing break off and fly past my face. PSA: Saftey Glasses Mandatory When Using Dremel

HSF_zps9b863bde.jpg

My TK Rambo moment (first blood)

Rambo_zpse26b8524.jpg

First forearm taped up, notice the wrist looks very oval, due to my having to keep a large ammount of material that most people would have cut off.

A5_zps20d05070.jpg

Fixing the wrist, hot water & a Thermos flask, now I have a nice even opening.

20140513_082012_resized_zpsf4302253.jpg  20140513_082040_resized_zps3aa543a0.jpg

The arm, only taped but I am quite happy with it. My compresion gear should be here next week & I'll be able to get a better idea of how the arm looks.

Bent_zpsb68462c9.jpg

Question on cover strips: Having read many builds it is my understanding that in relation to the photo below, the red line is where the cover strip should be placed, the top of the forearm should be cut 7-8mm from here so that the cover strip sits evenly across both pieces of the forearm. As I have large body parts these measurements won't work for me, but do I stay with the 15mm cover strips or can I upsize them a bit so they appear proportional to the size of the armor? The green tape is 20mm (and in the position where the cover strips will have to go), to me it looks ok - but I'd really appreciate feedback on this.

Cover_zpsae65ed3e.jpg

Yesterday I picked up this:

20140525_125735_zps66610002.jpg

So I have a bit more to work on!

Also building a Doopydoos E-11

More updates as they occur...

Agreed, the cover strips can/should vary slightly to maintain some proportion. Good call there. :)

I too had to do some reshaping of a left bicep because the casting was oval. So I understand where you are coming from.

Keep up the good work and yes, its ALWAYS a good idea to wear eye protection when using any power tool. Consider yourself lucky and not needing to switch to a one-eye pirate costume!

Can't wait to see your progress but don't rush. Mine took me almost four months.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress (I think).

Hopefully this will be my last post before I get to glue stuff!!!

I have finished both arms, and have tapped them roughly as I envisage strapping them.

20140607_173757_zps508bd879.jpg  20140607_173845_zps52bb9cd6.jpg

And while being worn. Photo's taken by my partner, preceded by quite possibly one of the wierdest questions I have asked her in the last 12 1/2 years: "Will you tape my shoulders to my back please?". She is not a huge Star Wars fan, though she did come and watch both marathons with me on May 3rd/4th.

20140607_174322_zpsb3f2ded5.jpg

20140607_174526_zps20ae9f79.jpg  20140607_174514_zpsb30f14f3.jpg

I am wearing nomex gloves and my compression top that is part of my undersuit (and a t-shirt, cos there's a lot to compress & no one needs to see that  :huh: ).

As far as how they feel, the left is great, the right feels a bit tight - especially the bicep. I am going to try and make it rounder (?) and reduce the return on the lower inside. I did it with the left and it made a huge difference.

The shoulders are not the usual OGA ones, these are an XL pair Oota was good enough to pull for me. I am really happy with the length, I think they overlap the biceps nicely, but on the side views they seem to flare out a bit. I intend to leave them until finish the chest & back, hopefully the will look more approriate then.

Any feedback would be fantastic, as always. Hopefully I can move on to the legs soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Even though the shoulder bells are flaring out a little, once you install the horizontal elastic straps that cross around the biceps they should pull in nicely.

There is a general opinion that although the CRL state the bicep crossover strap should not be present or hidden that the armor were reused from ANH and those had the straps, so should the ESB.

Edited by toybiz

There is a general opinion that although the CRL state the bicep crossover strap should not be present or hidden that the armor were reused from ANH and those had the straps, so should the ESB.

It was my understanding, as you state, that there should be no elastic for ESB, or at least use white. But I just looked at the CRL and it only says this:

Shoulder Armor

For 501st approval:

• One on each shoulder.
  • The shoulders are considered effectively symmetrical.
    • They may be worn interchangeably on the left and right shoulders.

No mention of shoulder / bicep elastic at all. Has this been changed recently? And if it is not excluded, is it allowed?

Anyway...

On to more practial things. Gluing coverstrips today!

It was my understanding, as you state, that there should be no elastic for ESB, or at least use white. But I just looked at the CRL and it only says this:

No mention of shoulder / bicep elastic at all. Has this been changed recently? And if it is not excluded, is it allowed?

Anyway...

On to more practial things. Gluing coverstrips today!

Hi Sam,

Here is my EIB application. It's pending approval with the addition of the horizontal bicep straps we are discussing here. Since there may be pending changes to the CRL, it's best to build with the end in mind. Won't prevent you from passing basic 501st but could if going for EIB or Centurion.

www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/27490-tk-24336-requesting-esb-eib-status-mtk/

• 2 weeks later...

Onwards!!

Gluing!

A quick rundown on my method for gluing - probably nothing new for most that read this, but maybe, just maybe this is the first build thread that someone is reading. If so please feel free to copy anything you want - but only after you have read through 20-30-40 more threads (most of which will be better than this one).

Anyway!

I have glued both biceps & the left forearm already, perfecting my technique - so to speak. I was able to do a whole bicep in one go, but due to lack of resources (buy more magnets - always), I have done the forearms one side at a time.

I start by taping inside the piece, so it stays (roughly) in shape, and cutting the cover strip to length.

20140707_081858_zps5841ac09.jpg

20140707_081936_zps69a3e70c.jpg?t=140460

I tape the cover strip on to determine the best position.

20140707_082155_zpsc6ddf740.jpg

And mark with pencil the edges of the cover strip on the forearm. Pencil marks are there - just hard to see with bad photography.

20140707_082247_zps81d622e9.jpg

More tape along the pencil marks gives me an area that is easy to sand & apply glue without going into the 'good' plastic.

20140707_082402_zpsae4615fb.jpg

Apply glue - following directions leave for a short time to tack up. I spread the glue with a bit of scrap ABS.

20140707_082916_zps3b188de3.jpg

Clamp & magnets. I am using ratchet clamps here, I have tried spring loaded clamps but find they move quite a bit. With magnets, I use a couple of bar style, although not so strong as the round rare earth magnets, the bar's provide a larger, even area of pressure. As can be seen here, other magnets can be added to increase the 'pull'.

20140707_083352_zpsf7378a28.jpg

Not all that interesting - I am just procrastinating the start of my shins. So far I have used the excuse that I need boots to fit them properly. But now I have boots.

TKB_zps984f92ff.jpg

More to follow.

Two updates in one day!

Time for shins! My first "Aren't you a little BIG for a stormtrooper" moment (I knew it was coming).

My calves are quite large, to put it into perspective, I ordered size 13 Jackboots (for my TI:RP), and they had to be widened at the top. The V shape of leather fits in well, but shows how round (not fat) my legs are.

20140707_153525_zps5d800f67.jpg

The side views of the shin armour look fine (thanks to Oota's Awesome Armour). All shots of the armour include me wearing undersuit & TK Boots.

20140707_153016_zps411cbe21.jpg   20140707_152944_zpse6d9afea.jpg

The front and back just look wrong though. Also - it's really hard getting a shot of the back of your own calf! Just saying.

20140707_154438_zpsc6968eba.jpg    20140707_153231_zpse6d313d1.jpg

My problem with the front is the overall  shape. It appears far too tapered (too me). Should I loosen up the ankle, which would look a bit off at the bottom - but have a better taper, or leave as is?

The back will have to be shimed, at the moment I guess it will just be a wider overlap / coverstrip, again with a funny angle.

The back of the piece without my leg in it showing the gap (I haven't over-trimmed. Promise)

20140707_153349_zps014148bc.jpg

On the upside, it is really comfortable, stairs & sitting are no problem. I have only done one shin so far, I'm not going to start righty until I can sort out lefty.

Help me fellow stormtroopers, you're my only hope.

(Actually you're not, anyone - TK or otherwise, please feel free to chime in).

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been a while, but I have been busy building.

First a question, particulary for bigger troopers (or at least those with big calves).

The sniper knee plate won't go close to fitting on the shin. Do I [a] bend it, leave it sticking out a bit, or [c] someone please suggest aonther option!

20140909_163653_resized_zps91d3519a.jpg

I have also taken some rigging pics:

Starting with an easy one. Much in the way of the song "dem bones"

The forearm's connected to the bicep; the bicep's connected to the shoulder; the shoulder's connected to ... nothing yet

20140913_091749_zps9929de04.jpg

The ab / kidney plates have a combined 32 snaps (I may have gone overboard a bit)

The long shoulder straps also have the chest / back plates attached (see pic later), the butt / cod hang off of the bottom snaps. Due to my uncertainty of how well the shims will hold up, the elastic on either side is to connect the parts directly, removing the strain on the shims. I installed some split rivets after this pic was taken, but these will be mainly for show. The right side is one big piece of velcro.

20140913_092004_zps42d241ef.jpg

Split Rivets!

IMG_4109_zps2418f2f3.jpg

Looking down through Ab / Kidney & cod / butt. Really hard to get the camera to focus - sorry. There is a big horizontal gap between the pairs of parts. This will be covered by the belt. The massive upside, is that I can step into this rig "as is", it pulls up over my legs (in armour). Fantastically easy to suit up. The small pieces of elastic between cod / butt help them retain their shape.

20140913_092300_zpsf01c47cf.jpg

As mentioed earlier, the chest & back attach to the shoulder straps. The bridges are glued onto the chest and velcro on the back (no elastic band - ESB).

20140913_092549_zpscd128bf2.jpg

Here are all 6 torso pieces hanging out together. When I am wearing it, the chest & back sit lower as the main straps conform to my body shape.

20140913_092625_zpsf137a969.jpg   20140913_092659_zps8b835580.jpg

Finally the thighs. I was using an old back brace. It was going to hold all of the other bits as well, but the shoulder straps were too flimsy. The left straps comletely ripped through, so I will need to re-think this (or take great advice).

20140913_092831_zpsc49c36a1.jpg

I had the same problem with my sniper plate on an AP kit.

I used the pot of boiling water trick. Took it off the boil, dropped the sniper plate in for a few minutes. Turned on the cold water tap, took the plate out held it wider apart and straight under the running water. Did a test fit and repeated the exercise.

It worked a treat as the plate was now wider and gave a closer and more even fit to the shin. When it came time to glueing it to the shin, I still needed to use a heat gun to get the ridges either side to line up a bit better and give me a slightly flatter surface to glue to. I used Zappa Gap to glue it, one side at a time.

I did use zip kicker on the last side once I was sure it was as well aligned as it was going to be.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Sly11

I used the pot of boiling water trick.

Thanks man, I have boiled my way through liters of water but not having much luck. On the upside we are having an armour party next weekend and someone is bringing a heat gun. Hopefully that will straighten out my problem.

In the mean time, another update.

Issues:

1) Drop Boxes & Helmet - Will be here very soon (fingers crossed)

2) Thermal Det - forgot to put it on for pics. It is complete with [questionable] clips in place.

3) Belt keeps riding up, although TD will / should keep it lower I am going to velro it to both kidney & butt plates.

4) Knee plate (also known as &$%@& ^%^@& ^@&$ knee plate). I have tried boiling water numerous times, but it still isn't working. Next option is a heat gun bend, and of course, those never go wrong!

5) Large ammount of black above the thighs. I think I need to open the back of the thighs & re-do the cover strips with larger ones. Hopefully they will then sit higher. At the same time, that is pretty major surgery considering how far along I have come, It will also leave me with black knees.

6) Back of Right greave, the velcro failed as I put it on. I will be adding lots more velcro (and a ton more glue).

7) Measure twice cut once. There is a small oops in here that hopefully goes unnoticed by anyone. I see it every time, but that's probably 'cos I stuffed it. I'm not going to mention what it is, unless someone else sees it.

Anyway, so that's one fat trooper. Let me have it! All feedback is good feedback.

A2_zps0633a45a.jpg   B2_zpsec2913f0.jpg

C2_zps42e3a28e.jpg   D2_zps8129a529.jpg