HOWTO: Use Body Language

I originally wrote this long ago for the Spec Ops detachment because the black is more menacing then the white :P anyhoodles its about time i brought it over here. aka "how to move your sexy plastic bod so you don't traumatize little kids and freak old people the F out".

It's come to my attention that troops are just standing around, literally. One does not simply wait in front of the backdrop for people to come up and take pictures, the only exception being if there's a large "circle" of people, meaning the crowd is moving like in an airport or a mall and they just want to snap a selfie and move along.

10668220475_5aa778f09f.jpg

But in most cases your garrison/squad will have the booth set up in what I call an "open" photo op. This is where people are free to move about and there isn't a set route such as conventions. At my squad's cons, we're placed near the convention center entrance so we make a good opening impression, but away from the main vendors as not to "take away" from artists and shopkeepers. Sure people want the perfect picture of them with a few troopers or vader at the death star but it's important to keep in mind you aren't just a trooper. You are a mascot, a representative of the LEGION, not the empire. Remember the whole "bad guys doing good" motto? Troops are a group effort people, don't just stand around, interact!

10668487133_31cf64f016.jpg

With the baby-to-toddlers group, they don't know what you are or what you might do. I give a friendly "palm straight, fingers moving" wave, or a quick "hand twisting side to side" wave and tilt my head to appear nonthreatening in a cartoony way. Older kids between 6-10 who generally may know of star wars, might look at you unsure of if theyre supposed to go up to you or not. Often the parents will coax them into getting close for a picture. This part is imperative. Before they shy away (or run up in glee), bend over slightly and nod your head yes, or wave them "come on over" to let them know "I acknowledge you". I then will look down and put my palm out to say "I want you to stand here" and get into either standing or battle position towards the camera. It helps to be able to read the kids by their facial expressions. Theres the general omg a star wars guy grin, and theres the parent-forced smile. For single kids, if I deem them worthy, I might have them hold my blaster for the shot, with one hand on my belt and the other on the kids shoulder. This really impresses people and shudders away all thoughts of you being "a bad guy". I warn, don't do this for everyone, but when done 99% of them give you your blaster back immediately. The other 1% either don't know what to do next or just want to see the picture first.

10668970994_0a8d2dd0ec.jpg

For multiple-child shots, I always aim my blaster at the camera, this is because having it down you might not be able to see your actually aiming right at the dome of a little girl. You don't want to single anyone out. And again NEVER AIM YOUR BLASTER AT A CHILD.

10668250456_1e144bdc1f.jpg

For troops that have a no-blasters policy, just hold onto your belt with both hands like vader for multi-kid shots, or one hand on the child's shoulder with your other hand on your belt for single child shots.

10668489993_9fe3fafd3b.jpg

For everyone else (ages 12 to 112) it's strictly professional, NOW you can just stand there and wait for the hotties to make their latest facebook picture. Occasionally from adults you may get odd requests. I was asked if a guy could hug me.. Anyway, perfect example: You might get "pretend you just captured me guy" which is a simple everyone aim blasters with his hands up, or if solo, I make him kneel, arms above his head, one hand on his shoulder, and blaster pointed to his head. There's a certain point where it's obvious if you're just blatantly aiming at everyone, but don't do that. The spectators or "next in line" people don't want to see repetition.

10668265884_dd2d4cc131.jpg

Here's some other helpful tips:

Never do anything you aren't comfortable with. Almost all people ASK you to get a picture out of human nature. They'll ask those odd things I mentioned too. That may include "can I kiss you" which has happened to a trooper who was single, and he specified "helmet on, or off?" But be careful with stuff like that.

Never let adults hold your blaster. Not because they could run off or drop it, but it just makes for a bad picture.

If you let a child hold your blaster, make sure they hold it properly before letting go. One or two have tried to hold it like a pistol then realize how heavy it is, before I let go I make sure there's two hands.

If said child drops your blaster, motion to them that's it's okay. Their first reaction will be "OH F**K" and seeing as how you're pretty much an angry god in their eyes, you don't want them to freak out. Hopefully them being so close to the ground your blaster wont be damaged but if that's the case, ask a handler to get the parts.

Dont take off your helmet unless you're in a private area, bathroom, or in back of the backdrop. Being helmetless is as bad as being naked. It takes the "real live stormtrooper" fantasy away.

After someone gets their picture with you, offer up a high five. It's the universal bro-fist.

Edited by DizzyStormtrooper
  • Like 9

On 5/22/2014 at 5:47 AM, DizzyStormtrooper said:

For troops that have a no-blasters policy, just hold onto your belt with both hands like vader

i HATE this posture!! It just looks sooo bad... When i don't hold my blaster i prefer just keeping my arms at sides, close the fist in front of me, or point the camera but never ever i will take this stupid pose...

The only trooper i know who doesn't look silly with this pose is this one, and that's because he's taken from the side:

----------

Dont take off your helmet unless you're in a private area, bathroom, or in back of the backdrop. Being helmetless is as bad as being naked. It takes the "real live stormtrooper" fantasy away.

I couldn't agree more with you on that point!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

• 2 weeks later...

I use to work for a certain mouse (not the one that just bought Star wars mind you, the one that sells pizzas) and a lot of these rules are very similar to the ones we used when in the costume. But I feel we do have a little more liberty about taking off buckets. But very good article this should ease first time troopers like myself into the wild world of cons.

I 100% agree with you text Dereck. I myself am still a newbie, I've been a 501st member since October 2013 and your guidlines are percect. The only thing I do is when there is a lot of kids around, like the Lego store event I did last week-end, I keep my blaster in my holster. I don't like the idea of a kid and a gun.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by Tolo

Derek, 

This is very well written.

Some great tips in here.  I love the idea of always moving around anyway because standing still for so long gets painful.  All these movements and interactions are perfect.

My favorite quote is this one:

>>Dont take off your helmet unless you're in a private area, bathroom, or in back of the backdrop. Being helmetless is as bad as being naked. It takes the "real live stormtrooper" fantasy away.

Yes!  Great analogy.  Thanks again for posting.

• 3 weeks later...

Word - these are excellent pieces of advice that most of us learn the hard way.  Every new trooper should read and abide by them.  Oh, and BTW, I *love* to get kissed by the hotties - check out my avatar :)

Here's some other helpful tips:

Never do anything you aren't comfortable with. Almost all people ASK you to get a picture out of human nature. They'll ask those odd things I mentioned too. That may include "can I kiss you" which has happened to a trooper who was single, and he specified "helmet on, or off?" But be careful with stuff like that.

Never let adults hold your blaster. Not because they could run off or drop it, but it just makes for a bad picture.

If you let a child hold your blaster, make sure they hold it properly before letting go. One or two have tried to hold it like a pistol then realize how heavy it is, before I let go I make sure there's two hands.

If said child drops your blaster, motion to them that's it's okay. Their first reaction will be "OH F**K" and seeing as how you're pretty much an angry god in their eyes, you don't want them to freak out. Hopefully them being so close to the ground your blaster wont be damaged but if that's the case, ask a handler to get the parts.

After someone gets their picture with you, offer up a high five. It's the universal bro-fist.

If you've ever met Paul you know why him saying "word" is the funniest thing you've read on the internet this day.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

man i didnt even know people were posting in this thread lol. a lot of guys in my squad just stand around, i'm the active one that talks to people. the public don't like when you're too in character and silent like a team mascot that's not allowed to say anything. being social matters

this post was spot on Derek, i think its important to interact with the younglings and make them feel comfortable. my go to is the exploding fist bump ala Talladega Nights. shake and bake baby!

btw the skiers in your GIF never had a chance..lol

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...