Jaren's first ANH Stunt Build - MTK

Jaren

I'm back! It's time to finish my TK! Funny how life gets in the way of our hobbies and things we want to do.

I guess working and paying bills so my kids can eat is a little important. LOL

Here is a report on the the damage I did before the Holidays.

Please help me Lord Vader, you are my only hope! 

DAMAGE REPORT AS FOLLOWS:

Before the holidays I was using the brackets to join my armor together. I made the mistake of tightening the screws too tight.

The Loctite I used to keep the nuts and bolts from coming undone made the cracks worse. The Loctite is not meant for plastic and it even says so on the package. (Did not read that part until after the fact) This caused cracks and chips of plastic on my armor.

I would still recommend the screen accurate bracket method, just don't screw them on too tight like I did!

Damage1_zps4a95e5ef.jpg

Damage2_zps0f1c5b3f.jpg

Damage3_zps8ce3345a.jpg

Damage4_zps007a24f4.jpg

Damage5_zpsf7de5fe6.jpg

Edited by Jaren

Ouch;  at least like everyone said above, all very easily fixable and will look like it never happened.  You could salvage your brackets if you want to still go that route, just move them all over an inch or so and drill new holes.  I went with the snap plates and E6000;  I made a few adjustments after though and it was great to be able to move them and re-glue, plus I was always too paranoid to put extra holes in the armor.   I learned after a few early mistakes on the helmet that using the E6000 is great at forcing you to slow down, which sure reduces future mistakes! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks Great!

Any problems with the snaps?

Looks like this is the way I will be going. I already built double nylon snap plates and going to be gluing them on soon.

Been using snaps for a while, no problems so far, this may help you too http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28934-howto-make-snaps-hold/

• Like 1

Preparing for some ABS paste.

Lets see how I screw up this one! LOL. 

I hope a lot of future troopers read my posts. It will really help them out on what not to do! LOL

Hey Jaren.  Sucks about the damage done to the armor.  Don't get yourself down on all of it.  You will fix it like it was brand new.  Keep your head up and keep cruising along.  You are getting there!

• Like 1

Yes! well thats why we make build posts.. not only to get info, however show people what to do and also what not to do lol. but snaps are wonderful! i used plastic plates for the snaps to mount to, however nylon is perfectly fine as well. snaps are the way to go, alot more mobility comfort and well you dont have to worry about anything crackin haha

• Like 1

There's also the added benefit of being able to disassemble your armor for more compact travel size. I have one of the smallest wheeled tote that I've seen on the troops I have been on.

So carry on my friend, you will succeed! :duim:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Over a year and almost there.

TK%201_zpsgacdh9hv.jpg

Tk%202_zpskmhwgid1.jpg

I have to double my efforts for celebration!

Still need: Belt, knee ammo belt, shave down ears more, shoulder straps, handguards, buttons, and a Blaster!

Please tell me what you think! So I can try and fix it. Some things are E6000 and some zap a gap so I can't fix it.

Thank You!

Could just be the photo, but the alingment on your left thigh looks off. Almost like it has rotated away from your body. The cover strip should be in line, like your right side.

Edited by Khazid
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

NICE!!  Great job.  I agree on moving the chest down- on the front arms down with helmet pic it looks like you can see the top of the ab plate showing.  Your chest would probably slide under this while trooping.  

• Like 1