Jaren's first ANH Stunt Build - MTK

Jaren

If you look at the very beginning of this post (Page 1), I posted a thumbnail pic of a mold line on the left tube. It came into play when it came together and now I'm stuck with it. I did watched the movies again a noticed a few of the ANH Stormtroopers with big ears, so I don't think I'm that bad off. I guess they could be radar! LOL

Edited by Jaren

I know I probably won't get EIB or Centurion with it. But will it affect my basic membership? What should I do? Or how can I fix it if I want to go higher than basic? Thank you.

Edited by Jaren

Can you provide a closer image of the split you are referring to? I don't see it on the post with the front view of your helmet.

Thanks

I meant to say it is in the very beginning post (Page 1). I will post some more pics right now.

The Split went down the mold line. I read somewhere that I could drill a hole to help stop it from splitting further. So far so good. 

split1_zps43843fcf.jpg

I had to sand it flat as possible so the cap and back would not be too far off when they came together. Then CA glued it together.

Split2_zps8f128d0a.jpg

Inside view of the split.

Split3_zps4e58aaa1.jpg

Edited by Jaren

So when it lined up i had a major problem. I had moved the line back because the width of the ear was now an issue.

Split4_zps0b88aa18.jpg

I had to glue a small strip for strengthen it because the lower ear screw hole and screw..

Split5_zpsc0835b8e.jpg

So now the width of the ear barely covers it and the pop rivet too. If I trim more of the ear the width will show both

the pop rivet on the right and the split on the left. In fact, you can barely see the start of the split on the bottom of the ear.

Split6_zpsdc61c9dc.jpg

Help me Lord Vader! You are my only hope!

Edited by Jaren

Yeah the ears still look big.. (the bottom of the ears, not where the grey portion would be) as far as the crease is concerned im not sure what to do with that.. sand it down and put puddy in it? i dont think application will be an issue with them how they are, however youll know youre you in a crowd. try your best to cut them down :P super glad to see images!!! back on a roll! :) shins and everything look great!

Edited by Stormy1992
  • Like 1

Thanks Jaren for the pictures! Helps with the problem solving.

Mine had the same fold/bunch up of ABS on the same area. What I ended up doing was like you, sanded down the side bump but not all the way so as to not cause it to split. I did not trim the cap and back under the ears until I had set the brow height where I wanted it. Since I wanted a low brow, this shifted the area of the cap and back overlap rearward since it had to tilt forward slightly.

Given this, it moved the lower rounded part rearward, thus exposing more of that split area. After I was satisfied with where my brow sat, then I trimmed the cap and back area under the ears allowing for more coverage over this side bump. The ears on my helmet are not symmetrical, as probably the same as everyone else. But you can tilt them slightly forward or rearward to make sure you have the two halves overlap covered.

Judging from your pictures, my suggestions would be the following:

1) Make up some ABS paste.

2) Since you already have a shim behind the split, fill the crack and the holes for the ears.

3) Then trim the ears to where you are satisfied and make sure to allow a slight forward angle of the ears to cover the split before remounting the ears.

Good luck you can do it!  ;)

Like everyone else said, for basic 501st approval, I don't think you will have a problem. :lol:

Adam

• Like 1

Thank you Steve, Kyle and Adam.

I will try and take them down a little more. It just sucks, it's going to take away time from finishing the rest of the armor.

Plus, I'm still really new at this and might screw it up. But I will try my best!

Don't give me that "do or do not, there is no try" stuff, that's what rebel scum says! LOL

• Like 1

haha dude you cant learn unless you screw up. a wise man told me that once and it makes sense. and also. you cant rush perfection :) take your time.. its better to have quality than quantity. and there is always a fix for something:) you can do it! go slow and be careful :P and plus. were always here to help out!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thermal Detonator spray painted with gray testors. 

TD1_zps5274f557.jpg

Evilboy metal clips. Painted black, #6 32 3/4 inch round head machine screws. 

TD3_zpsc742d5b4.jpg

Total Length 7 1/2 inches, with little to no gap. 

TD4_zpsdaed8f8e.jpg

I know, I don't see why they had to change the Stormtroopers in the new movie. The Tie Fighters look the same. oh well.

No, I have not fixed the ears yet. I am probably going to do them last, I don't want to slow my Armor momentum. 

I am currently doing my straps and waiting for the E6000 on the nylon snap plates to to dry.

Edited by Jaren

awesome! tip for you. i used some 5 sec glue.. its AMAzing. its by loctite.. its great for on the spot patch too. i was on a troop and a snap fell off.. 5 seconds later i was in my armor. its really really strong also. cuts down on time not having to wait for the glue to dry. make sure you sand the spot before applying :)

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-230992-5-Gram-Longneck-Bottle/dp/B000BQMQJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417634189&sr=8-1&keywords=5+second+loctite

get it at walmart or whereever.. :) less used the better. its wonderful stuff.

Edited by Stormy1992
  • Like 1

Well, I did it again.

I was putting my kidney and butt plates together using brackets and I must have screwed the screws too tight because now I have cracks everywhere.

So frustrating :angry:

I will put up pictures and give a damage report a lot later. Right now I'm going to eat my blaster.

Edited by Jaren

You can repair it! That's beauty of plastic. Just get through the rest of your build and then go back over the details. Soon you'll be trooping! :)

• 3 weeks later...