Jaren's first ANH Stunt Build - MTK

Jaren

Hello Troopers!

I am happy to build my first TK. I have been a Star Wars and Disney fan ever since I was born. I grew up and live in Southern California. I have worked at USMC and Disneyland (twice) but never could afford TK Armor until now. I am a family man, someday hoping to build more TKs for my wife and kids. I am a busy man so this might be a long build.

Please feel free to leave any comments (hints and tips) to help me through this journey. After all, I want to be like you!

Thanks,

Jaren

Edited by Jaren

Hey Jaren -- welcome! Good to see another MTK. Not many of us on here. FYI myself and bzb (Bobby) have MTK. He has a good build thread up and even his centurion application. Those have been great references for me. I'm still working on mine. Will post a build thread when done.

don't hesitate to ask any questions via PM, board, whatever!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Batphobic! I will check out bzb's build for sure. I can't wait to see your pics when your done.

I am having trouble posting my pics. I am going to improvise, adapt and overcome!  

Yeah these boards don't allow much space for photos. So you have to upload somewhere else (I chose flickr) and then you can link to those photos. When adding media to these boards you can choose to add it from a URL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No problem there. That will get covered by the ear anyway.

Good luck. I'm building my MTK too, although have hit a snag with failing snaps.....

@Batphobic - get a build happening NOW so we can join you on your journey!

Congrats Jared on your journey. Unless you are a modeler by trade or with plenty of experience it always feels like a monumental task to complete the armor, but you can and WILL make it. If I can and by all means I am no one special can do it so can you.

I too completed my first set of armor which too was supplied by MTK. Check out my thread in the ESB build threads. I didn't do a complete step by step because there are so many on cutting and gluing already. I did how ever highlight some of the challenge areas of the MTK armor and what I did to change it.

Just make sure you have all the necessary tools and I can't emphasize more to invest if you haven't already in a set of Lexan scissors. I wish I did for the first few pieces.

Best of luck, take your time, and you come to the right place to build your armor.

Adam

Having a look at Toybiz's build thread is clearly something i highly recommand! The way he managed the particular shape that the MTK left biceps has is excellent, along with the rest of his build:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/26919-my-first-esb-tk-build-mtk/#entry340942

• Like 1

Jaren, you can also post images by copying their location (right or control-click on the image, then copy the image's location using the pop-up menu), then you can post it here by using the small greenish Image icon above and pasting the image location into the URL space.

Thank You Toybiz and The5thhorseman. I will defiantly be applying that trick with the biceps and posting it with Techne's (Thank You) copy paste method .  

There is some type of plastic mold overlap on the left tube, should I be worried?

Jaren,

I had the same overlap on the side of my faceplate and I too was disappointed with the somewhat sloppiness of the vacuum molding process.

What I did was sanded the bump until it was almost flush. It couldn't be 100% flush because it would split since it would be paper thin at that area.

Polished it slightly with 1200 grit wet sandpaper and then pencil marked the ears to make sure it would cover. Since the ears can be angled slightly forward or back you could make sure the imperfections were hidden.

It is definitely overwhelming the first time you open that box and see all the pieces and say "How am I going to get this done?" :laugh1: I'm sure everything will go fine and as always don't be afraid to ask questions! Good luck with your build. I look forward to seeing it completed!

I started with the forearms. the videos on trooperbay are great! I am still having problems posting pictures. I do not have a public social media to post pictures and then get the URL from them. I am still looking at a few other options.

post-20212-0-47800300-1401230242_thumb.jpg

post-20212-0-23261600-1401230256_thumb.jpg

post-20212-0-19377100-1401230268_thumb.jpg

I do not have a public social media to post pictures and then get the URL from them. I am still looking at a few other options.

Just sign up for photobucket.com. It's free and easy. That's what I use

Now I need to sand and cut some cover strips.

Well, stop typing and get to it :)

also i recommend getting a dremal.. if i had to cut all my pieces out with a blade i would go crazy.. i have an attachment to cut, and a circle bit to sand.. and now there is a fly in my house.. any way get a drememl. i got one at walmart for 25 bucks and its wonderful!! make your build ALOT i mean ALOT easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I will try photobucket. I just got back visiting my brother for over a week in Texas. Now I can get back to building when I get off work!

Edited by Jaren

Just remember to not over trim some critical areas like the thighs. Unless you have arms like Popeye, there is plenty of leeway on the arms and shins.

The ab/kidney also have lots of leeway too and should accommodate a waist size up to 37" without adding shims.

The thighs I found if trimming off the "wrinkled" area it was almost too tight on my legs. So word of advice is fit WITH your under suit then mark the front/back thighs. Then wait and try fitting it again before cutting. This gives you the chance to center the overlap on the rear.

Keep us posted.

Edited by toybiz