Stormtrooper in Episode VII

DroidHunter

May have been discussed already but did anyone at Celebration have any contact with the fiberglass version of TFA armor Anovos is putting out? Any pros to their fiberglass option over the ABS? Overall thoughts? With the $1800 tag I'm guessing the guys that were chosen for the event were in the fiberglass.

The suits are ABS. The helmets are fiberglass.

As for 501st approval, I believe we are starting on the CRL now. There is certainly enough photo reference.

• Like 1

May have been discussed already but did anyone at Celebration have any contact with the fiberglass version of TFA armor Anovos is putting out? Any pros to their fiberglass option over the ABS? Overall thoughts? With the $1800 tag I'm guessing the guys that were chosen for the event were in the fiberglass.

I was able to wear one of the helmets for a few minutes but that doesn't even compare to those who wore them for hours. To me it felt like a loosely fitting full face motorcycle helmet but 1/2 the weight.     

Reason I thought there was an ABS and fiberglass version of the armor was a recap video with Anovos interview (not the ABC interview) where Anovos quoted a $400 standard ABS kit version and a premium version kit which I assumed was fiberglass for $2500. This was after he discussed the helmet costs of $200 and $700....

And now I see a discussion pertaining to that exact interview. Will move that way. Thanks guys!

Edited by TKrecruit2014

Reason I thought there was an ABS and fiberglass version of the armor was a recap video with Anovos interview (not the ABC interview) where Anovos quoted a $400 standard ABS kit version and a premium version kit which I assumed was fiberglass for $2500. This was after he discussed the helmet costs of $200 and $700....

And now I see a discussion pertaining to that exact interview. Will move that way. Thanks guys!

You don't want a fiberglass armor. It's HEAVY.

Three kits went to FLG. See the link for a breakdown by both TKID and garrison:

http://www.501st.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=125&t=85015&start=890

A few could remove their buckets without help, but most could not. No idea if height actually played into it.

There was no ribbed undersuit. The ribbed parts that were provided, herefore to be known as the "gaskets", were made of thick rubber that covered the shoulder joints, elbows, and knees. They have tabs that allow them to be physically attached to the inside of the hard armor.

The 'ideal' height for the kit was 5'8" i believe. But someone that received a kit from the first 75 kits was a 5'4" female. I'm 5'7" and I didn't have to modify any of the pieces. The only noticeable difference on shorter troopers is less of the ab armor showing below the chest plate.

I don't like the rubber gaskets that came with the kit. They are heavy and not very breathable. I wore it for an hour and a half for one day at Celebration. It was very warm that week.

I'm 6'0" and about as tall as you can go I think with the current suit. If you look at my photo, ideally there would be an extra 1" on the shin and maybe 0.5" on the thigh. And maybe bigger knees. I wonder if they will make tall legs for this suit like they do others.

TFA-full-phoeffer_zpsff4pfh5z.jpg

• Like 3

Hey Paul I have a question, I understand the suit is ABS yet one TFA troopers allowed me to look at his armor in detail. I didn't want to disrespect the guy by mentioning he had paint runs. Why would there be paint on the ABS? Is this because of the rumors of needing to used fillers, like bondo?

Edited by ukswrath

Yes, the suit was ABS.  It needed to be painted because like a clone there were a lot of seamless areas, both on the limbs, TD, belt.  All of that had to be epoxied and thus painted over.

Yes, the suit was ABS.  It needed to be painted because like a clone there were a lot of seamless areas, both on the limbs, TD, belt.  All of that had to be epoxied and thus painted over.

So... was everyone awarded one of these suits expected to have them professionally painted or could/did you rattle can it? If you don't mind me asking.

Edited by ukswrath

Some people did the automotive, but I think most did rattle can.  They provided the correct rustoleum colors, but I think most people agreed that using krylon would be a better choice next time.

The instructions were to use rattle cans - a specific brand of rattle can paint in particular. The results were inconsistent, and dependent on the individual and his/her paint skills, local climate, etc.

A few, however (including myself) went above and beyond and took their kits to a professional auto body painter. It wasn't required (it was actually discouraged), but I figured given the rapidly changing weather patterns that are characteristic of springtime in metropolitan Washington, D.C. and my utter lack of painting skills, the extra cost would be well worth it.

Some people did the automotive, but I think most did rattle can.  They provided the correct rustoleum colors, but I think most people agreed that using krylon would be a better choice next time.

The instructions were to use rattle cans - a specific brand of rattle can paint in particular. The results were inconsistent, and dependent on the individual and his/her paint skills, local climate, etc.

A few, however (including myself) went above and beyond and took their kits to a professional auto body painter. It wasn't required (it was actually discouraged), but I figured given the rapidly changing weather patterns that are characteristic of springtime in metropolitan Washington, D.C. and my utter lack of painting skills, the extra cost would be well worth it.

Rattle can, interesting,make sense though if you want to make it easy for the novice builder. I'd like to say I'm pretty dang good with a rattle can but if going to spend that kind of coin this armor I may be going pro and using Imron. We'll see what happens once the kits begin selling. 

Edited by ukswrath

The 'ideal' height for the kit was 5'8" i believe. But someone that received a kit from the first 75 kits was a 5'4" female. I'm 5'7" and I didn't have to modify any of the pieces. The only noticeable difference on shorter troopers is less of the ab armor showing below the chest plate.

I don't like the rubber gaskets that came with the kit. They are heavy and not very breathable. I wore it for an hour and a half for one day at Celebration. It was very warm that week.

I'm 5'6" & it fits me great!

was even told by the guys that "it looks better on the shorty's." :)

Edited by tk fett

Are there any detailed pics of the pistol being worn in the publicity photo?

The mannequin setups in the TFA exhibit at SWCA showed the thigh connection could also "holster" the E11.  While I'm super excited for a sidearm, I'm equally excited for a modular holster.

I'm 5'6" & it fits me great!

was even told my the guys that "it looks better on the shorty's." :)

LOL, I agree. I don't like the armor gap look on TKs. The less undersuit showing the better :duim: IMHO

I'm 5'8" and my friend Ted is 6'0" and maybe a little taller. The armor parts are all the same size. The only issue was the shoulder gaskets. Also wd RATTLE CANNED our paint as well. It worked well considering we had to three weeks to build the armor from the kit. post-16248-0-59657500-1429814199_thumb.jpgpost-16248-0-13645800-1429814219_thumb.jpgpost-16248-0-89390500-1429814240_thumb.jpgpost-16248-0-62647500-1429814255_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like the new troopers all had orig. TK boots..

Yes, but that was because there were only enough accurate boots for the 10 TFA troopers that were actually onstage during the opening panel. The decision was made to go with TK boots simply to maintain uniformity among the 75. As I understand it, accurate boots from both the actual manufacturer as well as a fan-based prop maker will be available in the near future.

The same limited availability also to the weapon. The 10 onstage troopers got TFA blasters. The rest of us were told to carry standard E-11s.

• Like 1