Stormtrooper in Episode VII

DroidHunter

I like it. Bit of a Tron vibe,yes,.but i love that they kept the classic elements of a TK lid-traps,tears,frown,tube stripes-but evolved them. Bit too glossy for my tastes,hopefully the on screen ones will have a little scuffing/dirtying up,..but I'm happy.

Now let's see some 'TIE' goodness!

Mmmh..it's too much of a sci-fi motorcycle helmet and too little of the typically stormtrooper lineage. Changes are ok for over 30 years...but this is too much in a strange direction.

Call me a fan of the old shool 'original' stormtrooper helmet(it's still always a bad an impolite person ^_^:D  ) and maybe I'm a nagger...I can live with it. But it lacks something for me....

Holy $@#%, now that's is AWESOME, if the helmet actually looks like that image, and the armour similar, I want it .....Period

I haven't even got my AP kit yet, which I am equally excited about by the way. LoL.

Edited by Sly11

You have to figure that in a galaxy where they have interstellar travel that there would be significant advances and upgrades in materials and styles over the course of 30 years, which is the time Between episode six and episode seven. Hell, just look at the clones armor over the course of two films and the clone wars series. How many different iterations did we see in that short time? 30 years in that galaxy, at that stage of advanced technological progression, would most likely be like a century or more on our world. Just think about all the improbable changes we've seen in technology in the last 30 years. Think about how cell phones went from a huge, suitcase sized, brick to the smallest phones literally able to fit on your wrist in the next year. And that's just one example.

The point of these images specifically; Am I a huge fan of the look of the Stormtrooper in that picture? Not really. Will I come to like it? I have not decided yet. It might grow on me. I have to see the whole suit, see what notes they've kept from the original armor that would say"Stormtrooper". That being said, somehow I am not entirely convinced that these images are fully what they are described to be. For one, they are clearly digital renderings and not fully realized costumes. Secondly, JJ Abrams is famous for his use of misdirection and subterfuge. For all we know, these may very well be early design renderings that bear little or no resemblance to the final design. They could've been released to distract the fans to appease our need for visual "spoilers" for a while, as we are certainly discussing them, and reduce some of the tension. He has used that technique before with other films he's done.... Remember, there were some early design images that "Leaked out" from the first Star Trek film he did that turned out to be nothing like what actually made it to the screen, and which he ultimately admitted had been put out there, through online media, for the exact purpose I have described.

So I would recommend taking a deep breath, enjoying this for what it may be, and just be excited that we have someone who is truly passionate about subject, and respectful of the source, making this film. And thank the maker that it's not Michael Bay...

I am in agreement with you except for one thing. Now, I'm not about to get into a debate over theories because the series is science fiction. Just hear me out for a second. As you mentioned between Episodes 2&3 Clone trooper armor technology improved. Although this is true, the Republic was in full war mode and the war budget was almost infinite. By the end of ROTJ, the Empire had to be in retreat and assets were probably frozen.

Upgraded armor is inevitable; real or fiction. White is very nice and grabs attention. But not tactical at all. I think it's time the Shadowtroopers get the spotlight

Just found this on Pinterest:

c699b72c8d61322214a3c107ae6fbcdf.jpg

This looks sweet! But I don't buy it. Definitely looks too Tron-like. I think Evilboy is right to assume we will get all kinds of teasers/spoilers to keep us chomping at the bit. Either way, it's great anticipation!!

I'm going to call it: I bet the armor will have slightly more exposed fabric / carbon / mesh areas. Like the Dark Knight suit or the Jaeger pilots from Pacific rim. My guess is the body won't be completely covered with armor, in order to allow for more movement.

Regardless of current speculation and imagery that is starting to pop up on our interwebz, I'm excited that the TK appears to have lived on in episode VII, and I'm excited to find out what we will be receiving in our future big brown boxes!

I expect that we will be making a "return" to "good guy" status as Soldiers of the Army of the New Republic, or whatever the new galactic ruling body is called. I expect something along the lines of The Clone Wars for the new movies. The Stormtroopers wouldn't simply go away because of a change in government.

Edited by Dark CMF

I'm going to call it: I bet the armor will have slightly more exposed fabric / carbon / mesh areas. Like the Dark Knight suit or the Jaeger pilots from Pacific rim. My guess is the body won't be completely covered with armor, in order to allow for more movement.

I hope so, it'd be pretty awesome to be able to go to panels and such at conventions and easily sit down or go to the washroom! At the same time I hope they keep as much armor as possible whilst being a little more functional.

For me I really don't like it.

I am probably too much a traditionalist but it now looks like any other sci fi incarnation, where as before the vision was groundbreaking.

While I see the evolution argument, I don't see why the iconic image of the stormtrooper could not be kept throughout.

The fact that Vader never once changed his appearance, from Sith to Jedi, the evolution argument washes even less. If his trooper changed surely he would.

They messed with a perfectly good and unique stormtrooper to me for the sake of it.

If rumour is correct that Vader may make an appearance in Episode 7, god forbid they mess around with his appearance

My excitement is gradually drifting away after seeing this image

It is sad, but whereas I hoped the clones and troopers after the Original Trilogy would compliment the original TK, the TK has now sort of fitted in uncomfortably in the middle as a minority. The integrity of the originals has been washed away with a new concept in every film. At the advancement levels the clones evolved, the TKs in the original would have changed, but they didnt. I think this pattern should have been retained more throughout. Minimal changes, possibly but controlled.

Edited by tk7713gra30

You have to remember this is 30 years later. In thirty years time, things are going to change. There is no way that the armor would have stayed the same. It would definitely have to be upgraded. If they kept it the same, it would not make sense. Oh, and they most likely won't change Vader since the last time we saw him, he died. It is supposed to be in a flash back scene which means it would have to be while he was alive. Now which version they go with, episode 3, 4, 5, or 6, who knows. Either way, it will be the Vader we all know and love.

You have to remember this is 30 years later. In thirty years time, things are going to change. There is no way that the armor would have stayed the same. It would definitely have to be upgraded. If they kept it the same, it would not make sense. Oh, and they most likely won't change Vader since the last time we saw him, he died. It is supposed to be in a flash back scene which means it would have to be while he was alive. Now which version they go with, episode 3, 4, 5, or 6, who knows. Either way, it will be the Vader we all know and love.

Well that is my point, you say it would need to be upgraded over the time period, yet Vader went through from Sith to Jedi with no changes, except a helmet resculpt which in essence is exactly the same. The flash back scene is only a rumour as it is possible that he was also cloned by the Emperor, just an idea as the full involment of Vader in Episode7 has not been released and the flashback is only a rumour started on a thread.

As to not making sense, there are many things that don't make sense, but I feel the significant changes of the Stormtroopers has been a detriment. At the height of the galaxy the Stormtroopers probably have the most low tech design, compared to the films before and looking at the images after. This in my opinion should have been taken into account and the new designs worked around that. Yes the Stomtrooper was designed in 1977, so that us what we got, now I feel design is running away, in every film.

As said maybe a traditionalist, but changes I feel should have been less, if nothing else as a tribute to the iconic stormtrooper design.

If the original films gave us one thing, it was that simplicity worked and once a character is established and recognised stay with it. The stormtrooper, although many in number, is a significant character in my eyes.

This alone has really put me off the new films, I really hoped it would go back to the original visions we grew up with.

He looks like the STIG from Top Gear.

Edited by tk7713gra30

Guys, the last image with the new helmet and upper body is not production, its a fan made image in the last couple days.

In regards to Vader in EP VII, the rumor is that its a flashback scene. Same with Carrie Fishers daughter portraying Leia, its a flashback.

Well that is my point, you say it would need to be upgraded over the time period, yet Vader went through from Sith to Jedi with no changes, except a helmet resculpt which in essence is exactly the same. The flash back scene is only a rumour as it is possible that he was also cloned by the Emperor, just an idea as the full involment of Vader in Episode7 has not been released and the flashback is only a rumour started on a thread.

As to not making sense, there are many things that don't make sense, but I feel the significant changes of the Stormtroopers has been a detriment. At the height of the galaxy the Stormtroopers probably have the most low tech design, compared to the films before and looking at the images after. This in my opinion should have been taken into account and the new designs worked around that. Yes the Stomtrooper was designed in 1977, so that us what we got, now I feel design is running away, in every film.

As said maybe a traditionalist, but changes I feel should have been less, if nothing else as a tribute to the iconic stormtrooper design.

If the original films gave us one thing, it was that simplicity worked and once a character is established and recognised stay with it. The stormtrooper, although many in number, is a significant character in my eyes.

This alone has really put me off the new films, I really hoped it would go back to the original visions we grew up with.

He looks like the STIG from Top Gear.

STIG from Top Gear...LOL Good one. 

I get your point. The 'birth' of armored Darth Vader and his death is 23 years apart, not quite 30, but still a good amount of time to make upgrades if need be. The trooper armor went thru many upgrades (if you want to call from episode 3 to 4 an upgrade) in the course of the first 4 films. But you are right in the fact that you could totally see the transitions going on. I personally like this new look. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Guys, the last image with the new helmet and upper body is not production, its a fan made image in the last couple days.

In regards to Vader in EP VII, the rumor is that its a flashback scene. Same with Carrie Fishers daughter portraying Leia, its a flashback.

I knew that was the case with the fan art, but it does look like it matches up better with the 'live' pic that we now have. I personally think it would be pretty cool if the Hovi tip was only on the left side as rumored, although the fan art looks more like a transition from todays TK. The single Hovi would give it a different look that may just work.

You are correct about the rumors on the flashbacks, which assumes that it will be a Vader we all know and love. All speculation as we know, but it is always fun to think and talk about it.