Stormtrooper in Episode VII

DroidHunter

You have to figure that in a galaxy where they have interstellar travel that there would be significant advances and upgrades in materials and styles over the course of 30 years, which is the time Between episode six and episode seven. Hell, just look at the clones armor over the course of two films and the clone wars series. How many different iterations did we see in that short time? 30 years in that galaxy, at that stage of advanced technological progression, would most likely be like a century or more on our world. Just think about all the improbable changes we've seen in technology in the last 30 years. Think about how cell phones went from a huge, suitcase sized, brick to the smallest phones literally able to fit on your wrist in the next year. And that's just one example.

The point of these images specifically; Am I a huge fan of the look of the Stormtrooper in that picture? Not really. Will I come to like it? I have not decided yet. It might grow on me. I have to see the whole suit, see what notes they've kept from the original armor that would say"Stormtrooper". That being said, somehow I am not entirely convinced that these images are fully what they are described to be. For one, they are clearly digital renderings and not fully realized costumes. Secondly, JJ Abrams is famous for his use of misdirection and subterfuge. For all we know, these may very well be early design renderings that bear little or no resemblance to the final design. They could've been released to distract the fans to appease our need for visual "spoilers" for a while, as we are certainly discussing them, and reduce some of the tension. He has used that technique before with other films he's done.... Remember, there were some early design images that "Leaked out" from the first Star Trek film he did that turned out to be nothing like what actually made it to the screen, and which he ultimately admitted had been put out there, through online media, for the exact purpose I have described.

So I would recommend taking a deep breath, enjoying this for what it may be, and just be excited that we have someone who is truly passionate about subject, and respectful of the source, making this film. And thank the maker that it's not Michael Bay...

Real picture !!! (the first one was a CG)

EpVII-Stormtrooper-Helmet.jpg

I think it's a cool design for the evolution of the classic Stormtrooper.

I'm agree, maybe it's look like a little more to a motorbike helmet, but I like this helmet (more than the "angry duck" ) !

I posted above right before I saw this picture here on the third page of the thread. I had a long and well-thought-out comment but then hit the back button before hitting post by mistake. FRAK!

So here is a brief reconstruction of my long-winded statement.

I stand behind what I said above, in principle at the very least. The helmet in this photo looks great to me and is clearly not exactly the same as the one in the digital rendering seen previously. For the purposes of us and of costuming I will need to see an entire suit of the armor before I get too crazy excited. I'm going to want to see what notes to bring over from the original Stormtrooper armor to the newer, updated, version that says "Stormtrooper".

From a practical point of view, for our purposes of costuming and for the purposes of the film, I am willing to place a bet that the armor will be much more wearable in the new iteration, as they have the advantage of modern design tools, 3-D printing, and any number of advances that we've seen in the last 40 years since the original armor was produced. They will of had to be able to produce dozens of helmets and suits for the film(s) and even with the vast budget this film is receiving they would still want to keep it practical, cost-effective, and RELATIVELY easy to assemble. They're also going to want it to allow a reasonable amount of movement for the actors. What this means for us, In my humble opinion, is the helmet will probably be assembled, Looking at the picture, in 4 to 6 pieces plus the visor and black under material. It also means that once some of the really talented and amazing sculptors amongst us get a good look at these things, probably around Star Wars Celebration VII or SDCC, in the form of toys, children's play costumes, maquettes and statues, and stills from the film, we will see some really stunning renditions of these. I hope they take a page from the original productions and used found items for a lot of things.

For the blasters, I hope they find some obscure military weapon, or at least a futuristic one, like the P90, and dress those up instead of going with the prequels design ideas.

Saw those pictures on FB and just scrolled on, without thinking much about it, as I genuinely thought this was just a weird looking motorcycle helmet... I'm actually dissapointed about theese...

Just mocked this up. An element I like is how the eye holes are kind of joined together, and the mouth is seamless with no teeth, much like the original Liz Moore sculpt. I personally like the functional tube stripe vents. Blue paint / decals were only justified in '77 when you couldn't see the detail on film.

I understand the need to streamline the design somewhat, so it has less "sticky outy" bits than the original TK. I do agree with some people that it looks like it was designed by Apple or something. Rather Tron like.

evolution_stormtrooper.jpg

You have to figure that in a galaxy where they have interstellar travel that there would be significant advances and upgrades in materials and styles over the course of 30 years, which is the time Between episode six and episode seven. Hell, just look at the clones armor over the course of two films and the clone wars series. How many different iterations did we see in that short time? 30 years in that galaxy, at that stage of advanced technological progression, would most likely be like a century or more on our world. Just think about all the improbable changes we've seen in technology in the last 30 years. Think about how cell phones went from a huge, suitcase sized, brick to the smallest phones literally able to fit on your wrist in the next year. And that's just one example.

The point of these images specifically; Am I a huge fan of the look of the Stormtrooper in that picture? Not really. Will I come to like it? I have not decided yet. It might grow on me. I have to see the whole suit, see what notes they've kept from the original armor that would say"Stormtrooper". That being said, somehow I am not entirely convinced that these images are fully what they are described to be. For one, they are clearly digital renderings and not fully realized costumes. Secondly, JJ Abrams is famous for his use of misdirection and subterfuge. For all we know, these may very well be early design renderings that bear little or no resemblance to the final design. They could've been released to distract the fans to appease our need for visual "spoilers" for a while, as we are certainly discussing them, and reduce some of the tension. He has used that technique before with other films he's done.... Remember, there were some early design images that "Leaked out" from the first Star Trek film he did that turned out to be nothing like what actually made it to the screen, and which he ultimately admitted had been put out there, through online media, for the exact purpose I have described.

So I would recommend taking a deep breath, enjoying this for what it may be, and just be excited that we have someone who is truly passionate about subject, and respectful of the source, making this film. And thank the maker that it's not Michael Bay...

I agree! of course theres gonna be change but humans fear change. We have to embrace it! I like it its great looking for 30 years into the future! I just can't wait to own a set of my own!

Not bad but think I'll reserve more judgement till I see the whole armor. You can have the coolest helmet but can be ruined by horrible armor and vice versa....the original stormtroopers are cool cause as a whole, they're awesome looking!

Not bad but think I'll reserve more judgement till I see the whole armor. You can have the coolest helmet but can be ruined by horrible armor and vice versa....the original stormtroopers are cool cause as a whole, they're awesome looking!

I kinda wish it had a little more prominent and rounded set of cheek tubes like the original. Right now it screams "motorcycle helmet", but I'm sure it'll have a different vibe when viewed with the whole armour. Of course, what makes it memorable is not the perfection and form of the armour, but what the characters themselves exude. It's the storming of the Tantive IV or the droid search on Tatooine that etches the character of the stormtrooper in our minds. I think having actual actors in the armour will go a long way into making the modern stormtrooper a successful descendant of the original. 

obviously my statement above is based on the images of the real helmet and not the digital version above.

It is my understanding that there is the one aerator tip on the left side as in the digital render, but not on the right as we see in the actual photo. This is from IndieRevolvers site:

"The helmet is not symmetrical – there’s only one breather/vent on the bottom near the mouth, on his left side. The black “mouth†area under the white nose plate appears to be a cloth/mesh (which you can better see in the detail shot below). The eye lenses are still separate, but set into a black frame to connect them and give the illusion of one single piece."

I think that will look really cool if this is true. I can't wait to get a set when one is ready. I better finish my ESB first though  :)